Catalina 8/22 - The Tradition-the good and the bad

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by jgtranswerks, Aug 24, 2017.

1. jgtranswerks

jgtranswerks Newbie

Name:
    JG
    Boat:
    No
    Did my annual 3/4 day charter to Catalina Tuesday and for the second year in a row I booked the Tradition out of 22nd street ,after firing the boat {you all know the one , that had the capt with an attitude that got written up on here several times a couple years ago}I had chartered the previous 5-6 years .
    Last years trip wasn't very productive {but quite honestly the other boat was never productive either}, but we all know how fishing goes . Group had a good time , prices were reasonable and Molla , the capt , worked hard to try to put us on fish . So , I booked them again this year.
    The good: Good bait ,nice weather ,friendly crew ,great bird watching ,good sea lion watching, good kayak watching ,the beer was cold ,food was fine, nice warm sunny day on the deck with a group of good friends .
    The bad: Got to 22nd St Landing and had to deal with a bit of a "snippy" attitude by the guy behind the counter . Whatever ,I blew it off and went down to the boat .
    Spoke with the deck hand {I know ,should have spoke with capt. my mistake}on the game plan and said we're going to Cat Island for YT , Bass ,Bonito , Cuda . The standard , as I suspected . All good . Except , I said no Bonito . Don't target those ! We then had a good ,short discussion on Bonito and how he was going to change my perception of the fish later . I told him just about any fish you pull out of the ocean , cool it down ,clean it and throw it in a pan right away ,with salt ,pepper and garlic will taste great , as he demonstrated later . BUT ,when you leave them in a sack on the deck of a boat , baking in the sun for 5.5 hours ,they just don't keep well and turn into fertilizer . So ,unless you're going to clean them and ice the right away ,I don't want them .
    First stop of the morning ,we load up about 20, 1.5 lb Bonito that my less experienced friends enjoyed catching. Because ,well ,they finally caught something compared to previous trips ! In the sacks they go ,where they sat for 5.5 hrs in the sun , with only the occasional scoop of water thrown on them . We stay for about 40 minutes , then proceed to the next stop about a 1/4 mile away ,drop anchor and wait for the fish to arrive . We might have hooked a handful of short Calicos ? We hang there for 30-40 minutes and move again .
    Next stop 30-40 minutes waiting for fish to arrive ,no bites. We stopped 7 times{2 or 3 of which were back to the earlier spots for round 2} half of those stops without a bite, with one of them producing a couple legal bass and a couple Whitefish .
    Beer time came and found that they didn't stock one of the beers I requested { no it wasn't a special beer ,just another popular domestic} ,that the landing said they would {I know , I'll admit that's petty and we did just fine with the other beer . But when you get a group that enjoys beer on their day off and there is certain beer many of them like and a certain beer many don't like , it's just not that accommodating . Kind of like the Ford vs Chevy rivalry thing ,Ford guy not gonna buy a Chevy and vice versa !
    By the way ,these domestic beers did cost $5. as we all found out at the end of the trip ,not to mention the $8. frozen patty burgers and medium size breakfast burritos . Which I felt was rather high and I have been on many ,many boats in my 35 years of deep sea fishing . They had no food prices posted anywhere and I'll have to admit it's my fault for not asking , but had they been that price last year ,I would not have chartered this boat this year .
    Paying the galley tab was a bit of an issue too. Something happened regarding the galley that could have cost the boat several hundred dollars and possibly even a crew members job , had it not been for the honest group they had on the boat that day . Then when I went to pay my tab ,they tried to charge me $81. {this was before I found out how much the beer and food prices were} I said ,uh ,for 8 beers ,a burger and a breakfast burrito ? He sharpened his pencil a bit and then said $61. I paid it ,then I asked for the prices {I know ,ass backwards ,my fault again} , that's when I realized he burned me for an extra $5. after all. I'm going to contact all my friends that went on the boat to have them calculate their tab , to see if they got grafted too .
    I did some research and other 3/4 day boats did just fine on big YT {we never hooked or saw one} keeper bass and fish taco meat. I don't think the capt worked very hard {as we just sat for 30-40 minutes on several stops ,without any signs of life}and was saving fuel on our trip ,as he probably stayed within a 5 mile radius and wasn't very ambitious to look for fish .
    I'm sure some of you will say I'm a snow flake , looking for guarantees and that's why they calling fishing ,stfu and go get your own boat ! But I have plenty of fishing experience , caught a lot of fish over the last 35 years , have been on my share of skunked trips to too I understand completely that the fish don't always go along with the program . But I saw a real lack of effort and some less than upstanding business practices . I understand the boat owner {whom I tried to email before writing this post ,but 22nd street would not give me his email address } Is a long time pillar in the sport fishing community and capt Molla has a lot of experience as well . Maybe an off day for the boat ? Perhaps ? But I will not spend my money with the Tradition again , nor will I at 22nd st either .
    Just reporting the facts as I saw them .

Ok ,get the tar and feathers out ,I'm ready !

Kin, REPO, pukahd and 2 others like this.
  2. RyanErb

RyanErb Love to fish!

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    OnTheWater
    You chose the boat, you learned, and you won't choose again.

To be honest, I haven't heard much about the tradition. I would stick with some of the very popular boats that are known to produce. A little bit of research might go a long way.

Thanks for the report and for the details, it may help someone else in the future....

At least you were fishing and not at work!

3. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Sadly it happens all the time to some extent or another.

4. JIM E

JIM E Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    None
    Nothing wrong with your report,,,, thanx for the info...

REPO likes this.
  5. Azarkon

Azarkon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    N/A
    Charter captains may, or may not, be completely up to date with information. It's not like an every day Catalina boat like the Pursuit. Many spots that produce one week at Catalina, may not produce the next. I don't know how well the captain of the Tradition knows day to day Catalina changes, but I don't think I see them there that often. That could definitely be a problem, as fish counts could have told you: http://www.22ndstreet.com/boats/tradition.php

That said, whether they get on the fish or not, the service should be the same, and here I think you've got all the right to complain. They should not be putting bonito in a bag to sit in the sun, and they should not be trying to rob you with the beer and food. That is the red flag, and what the captain should issue an apology, at the minimum, for.

kms70 and REPO like this.
  6. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    That's a bummer......next time try a 5-5 on the Fury. Beers are $3.50 and Burgers are $5.50.
    They'll play the bonito game (here try this) too, they all do. The difference is they actually bleed and chill them.

kms70 and Woodeneye like this.
  7. ssrmr2

ssrmr2 Member

Name:
    STEVE
    Boat:
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    the Tradition, I was invited on a Private charter a few years ago, my memory is bad but i thought they were one of the few local boats that have a refrigerated hold and not sacks

8. PaDDy Killer'

PaDDy Killer' Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Patrick
    Boat:
    Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
    Simple solution-Buy your own boat. Sound like the captain did all he could to get you on the fish. The fish there breeze through those spots. That's why he was moving (7 times) to find them. Maybe next year try TroutDale -https://www.allyoucanfish.com/

9. "all-in"

"all-in" Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    24, Angler, All-In
    Make sure you book a book with fridge. Prepare as best you can a list of questions ahead of time and talk to the captain, not the landing.

Sorry about the crappy experience.

10. PescadoVato

PescadoVato Member

Name:
    SP
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20
    Haha, the opposite of simple!

11. pacificscout

pacificscout Hey! You got any frozen ice?

Name:
    Wally
    Boat:
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    Boats have become very expensive when it comes to beer and food.
    Sticker shock at end of trip.
    I almost had to jump off the boat and swim to shore.
    $8- burgers???!!!! Really???
    $5- beers??? Reduce price a bit and you'll sell more and probably get better tips.

kms70 likes this.
  12. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
    We don't blink an eye when we pay more at bars/restaurants. Just be glad they're not raping us like the stadiums/events/theme parks

pacificscout likes this.
  13. kevina

kevina I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    kev
    Boat:
    25' aqua sport
    Did those food and beer prices come with jar of vaseline??? or was the price with a 100% tip included?

14. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    Guys,all these capts talk to each other and compare notes for the day.I was at Cat yesterday and the boats were moving a lot.Every YT we hooked yesterday the seals got.I heard one boat say he had 14 seals on him.The bonito are their bread and butter right now as most of the bass are two ways and the YT can be good for one boat and no good for 5.Just fishing.Food prices I cant reply to.Tom

Goleta_Slim likes this.
  15. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    so much drama for a 3/4 day trip.......

16. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
    Too long of a thread for a bitch session. Please use some bullet points next time so I don't have to agonize the read.

Booked the Tradition
    * Bad attitudes
    * No hold for fish
    * Too many stops in the same area
    * Expensive food and drinks
    * Overcharged my tab
    * No e-mail contact for bitching

Sorry the trip was bad, hopefully the tread helps someone.

17. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    :rofl:

SaltH20Angler likes this.
  18. Killsfish

Killsfish Member

Name:
    Darren
    Boat:
    Sold
    At $5 a beer my galley tab would be $50 before noon...but that's okay with me.:720icon:

Texlee, spize909, MRC70 and 1 other person like this.
  19. So Cal Adventure

So Cal Adventure Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    RB
    Boat:
    42 ft Bertram
    I agree with the sacks comments. Sack fish just plain taste nasty. Even after 30 minutes the quality is notceably bad. Bonito are delicious if immediately chilled and inedible after 1 hour in a burlap sack.

When I go on "burlap sack" open party boats intending to keep fish, I bring a insulated shopping bag with 20lbs ice. $6 at Sams Club. Try that!

20. RAR

RAR Fish On

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    23" SeaCraft Sceptre
    Your luck will be worse at TroutDale as the pond has been drained and it is empty!

jigsaurus likes this.