mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Short version: nothing good for us. Water temps 65 to 73 at Cape Cortez. Best fishing area: None. What worked: Nothing. What did not work: Everything.

Novel: Sometimes you just have to trust your gut instinct and stay home. I am embarrassed to even be writing this, but I figure it is my duty as a Bloody Decks poster to report the bad as well as the good. After seeing reports titled “The Tragic Isle”, all around island slowness and weather reports of south east winds, my son Sean and I went anyway.

Monday morning, we picked up a scoop of squid from Mario and crossed in bumpy conditions. The water at the island was a weird green/grey color, but I’ve seen worse. We were able to jig up Spanish mackies, smelt and sardines to add to the stellar bait situation. Starting at the Suicide Kelp, we drifted squid over the grounds for a few small calicos. Slow trolled fin baits from the Vs to Salta Verde for nothing. Fished Mills Landing, Little Harbor, Cat Harbor and West Cove for the 3Bs: Bass, blue perch and blacksmith.

The wind picked up in the afternoon, so we move around to the front side and slow trolled from the west end to Parsons. Nada. We tired anchoring up for the night at Indian rock, but the harbor patrol kicked us out saying we were within 100 feet of the moorings. We were about 90 feet, and could have brought in some scope, but I didn’t feel like arguing with her, so we bailed. As we were leaving the bass were flipping out on the micro anchovies and Sean released a few chunky calicos in the 3-4 pound range caught on the SP Minnow. Highlight of the day. We ended up getting a mooring in Avalon for the night.

Tuesday morning dawned with hope renewed, so we decided to try and get some bones to troll offshore on the bait o’matic while looking for any signs of life. Rapala’s produced exactly one nice barracuda, no bonito, and that danged SE winds started to blow hard again before 8 AM. Offshore plan scrapped.

The backside east had good protection, so we again slow trolled fin bait for nothing. We found a rock in 110 feet of water covered in marks that turned out to be big sand bass in the 5-6 pound range, and we released about 10 of them. Again, highlight of the day.

We got some lunch from Rosies on the pier and went for a swim. That afternoon we slow trolled from Frog Rock to Long Point. Zippo. We tried fishing some beaches hoping for halibut and got one white fish. Ended the exercise in futility about 7 pm and picked up a mooring in Avalon again. I had more than a few drinks.

Wednesday morning was flat calm (it figures) and we had a bucket of shark chum, so we headed to the Avalon Bank. On the way there, we spotted a major boil that turned out to be foot long sardines smashing the anchovies. Never seen that before! 2 hours of chumming the bank brought one giant Mola Mola up the slick.

We even hit up my latch ditch halibut spot off Sunset Beach, but only got one short in 90 minutes. It was really getting rough, so we headed in at 12:30.

The mighty Casey has struck out. Game over. Now it will probably go off over there next week!

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
You put in your fair share of time. Island is at a weird spot right now with that colored water, like you said, hopefully it will all clear up and turn on here in a couple weeks! Thanks for the report, you had me laughing pretty good at a few points, including the 3B's!! LOL

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
You put in your fair share of time. Island is at a weird spot right now with that colored water, like you said, hopefully it will all clear up and turn on here in a couple weeks! Thanks for the report, you had me laughing pretty good at a few points, including the 3B's!! LOL
Yep, we've done really well the last few trips and were due for a stinker.

Reactions: Hardcor

dktool

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
That report sounds more like one that would be generated by a trip on my boat.
At least there was food, alcohol and swimming involved.

A 100' measuring tape would have been fun, "here, grab the end and let's see how close to the moorings we really are".

larry dickson

Jul 16, 2012
LA CA USA
Name
Chuck Roast
Boat
20' Skip
Good effort, nobody gets em every time, whatever you call it, "paying your dues" or "taking your medicine" etc... I you get em next time. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: mhanson59hb

veearesix

Jun 25, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Name
Will Shaw
Boat
1972 Safari 28
I had the same trip two weeks ago. You could have wrote it for me. I wasn't as proud to post it.

Also - my boat isn't quite as efficient as yours. Twin Gasolines - OUCH! :indabutt:

clevel

Captain in Learning
Jun 4, 2011
Laguna Niguel
Name
Cabo Jack
Boat
Cobia 261
Your report is in line with other fishermen reports for Catalina lately. Green water and abundance of bait. Thanks for helping a lot of us in deciding to give a little more time for condition change at Cat island before spending big gas money.

NewportMatt

Let's All Just Get Along
Jun 13, 2015
www.oldspoolfishingcharters.com
Name
Matt Schubert
Boat
Old Spool - Parker 2520
I was on the island Tuesday and saw you on east end in the AM. Looked like your were trolling rapalas. Tried hailing you on Ch 72 but no luck.
We found lots of blue water middle backside and set up on a wide open calico bite for a couple hours. Pulled some sheepshead, cuda, and whitefish out of there too. Got an 8lb calico.
Saw a couple yellowtail boils in front of the first V. We were run/gun in that area for about 45 minutes casting on boils for no luck except 1 follower. These were BIG grade yellows.
But it was also my first trip over there in a while that we didn't bag any yellows or WSB so although the calicos were wide open it wasn't the best trip of the season.
Thanks for your report! Keep it on Ch 72 out there and if/when I see you again we can buddy boat it.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
I was on the island Tuesday and saw you on east end in the AM. Looked like your were trolling rapalas. Tried hailing you on Ch 72 but no luck. Thanks for your report! Keep it on Ch 72 out there and if/when I see you again we can buddy boat it.
I'm glad you at least saw some yellows! It was definitely tough. Channel 72, got it! Don't know why I didn't have my radio on. Thanks for the info. My next planned trip to the island will be 8/13 to 8/15 in case you are over there!

#Special K

Aug 11, 2014
San Clemente
Name
Larry Kostrzewa
Boat
21' CC
We were out there 7/5-7/6. Similar conditions. Front side was shit, though ship rock produced some nice bass for an hour. Washing machine ride to the East end trolling for bones/YT (nada). Better conditions on the east end but like you said, no love other than a few nice calicos.

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Heres the thing Mike, you may not have caught a yellow or WSB, but sounds like to still had an awesome time on the water. My boat is out of commission and I would give my right arm to have the trip you just did. Count your blessing my friend! I'm fishing the island tomorrow on a charter...wish me luck!!

Paddyman1

A mossback is better than a hairy back
Nov 7, 2010
La Costa Izquierda
Name
Steve
Boat
N/A
Great write-up Mike, despite the unfortunate no-hook ups. Dues paid big time but the bright side is you could have been stuck behind a computer instead!

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
Heres the thing Mike, you may not have caught a yellow or WSB, but sounds like to still had an awesome time on the water. My boat is out of commission and I would give my right arm to have the trip you just did. Count your blessing my friend! I'm fishing the island tomorrow on a charter...wish me luck!!
Best of luck to you! Hope you get your vessel in tip top shape soon!

I'm not saying we did not have fun, because we did! It beat work by a mile. But this is a fishing report and fishing was really, really slow for us! I did not even mention our rock fish spots only kicked out an 8 inch goat between them!

I've been spoiled lately with good outings, and this trip was a humbling reality check for me.....

I already cant wait for the next adventure!

Last edited:

lwarden

Mar 3, 2012
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Laurence
Boat
Rock Steady, Shamrock 260 Express
Sounds like my trip over there a few weeks ago. Only one good goat for a lot of effort. Highlight was seeing a 200lb BSB under the boat at Avalon, apparently he is a local. He gulped down the goat carcass in one go.

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
I would take those days of fishing with my dad any day. Perfect report Mike.
I believe your son learned a lot from this trip. When it's not working keep working harder. I myself would appreciate anybody working that hard to put me on fish.
Lunch at Rosies, it doesn't get any better

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
I would take those days of fishing with my dad any day. Perfect report Mike.
I believe your son learned a lot from this trip. When it's not working keep working harder. I myself would appreciate anybody working that hard to put me on fish.
Lunch at Rosies, it doesn't get any better
Thanks Corey! How is your boat coming along?

stormwater

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 3, 2009
Malibu/CA/USA
Name
Red
Boat
9' Inflatable
Think what you want.

2-3 inch micro chovies were getting hammered by the biggest dines I have ever seen. I know what they were because we caught some on sabikis, and then used them for shark bait.

Get out there. Maybe you'll learn something!

https://oceana.org/marine-life/ocean-fishes/pacific-sardine

You're welcome. Have a nice day! :D
Brother read your own article before you post it like that. Sardines are filter feeders, as stated in the article in your response. 12” sardines hammering anchovies are called mackerel. Starting to understand your “bad luck” streak a little better now. Hope you have a great opaleye season at Cat, it’s gonna turn on any time now

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Brother read your own article before you post it like that. Sardines are filter feeders, as stated in the article in your response. 12” sardines hammering anchovies are called mackerel. Starting to understand your “bad luck” streak a little better now. Hope you have a great opaleye season at Cat, it’s gonna turn on any time now
It is funny to me that you have never given a fish report the whole time you have been on this site, but you know it all. I would just keep cleaning drains if I were you