Darksails

I like bourbon.
Sep 10, 2012
OC
Name
Blaine
Boat
Tiara 3100 Open 'Sol Delight'
Took a few friends over yesterday and fished the front side, starting at the can dumps and working up to hen rock. Started out with a bang, literally - we slow trolled into the can dumps and just south of the lover's cove closure something ripped off a blue mac pattern xrap 30. The strike tripped the outrigger clip and then nothing - line was cut through. There was a seal screwing around behind the boat immediately after, so maybe him - or maybe something else with bigger teeth? We caught at least 100 short to barely legal calicos, 3 legal barracuda, and a single rat yellow. Ended the day with a massive bat ray that broke off at the perfect time, right at the boat. Calicos liked fresh dead squid, and the barracuda liked the sardine.

Lots of action, so lots of fun. Saw plenty of people slinging jigs with no luck, so we didn't feel bad for striking out on yellows.

Edit: Figured out how to post photos. Double hookups all day, with triples and quadruples a few times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
San Clemente
Name
Don
Boat
30' Albemarle
We had a very similar day to yours yesterday, I'm sure we probably passed each other a couple times. Started at Pebbly, worked up to Church Rock, then worked the front side over to Gilbrator. We pulled rapalas or slow trolled sardines for a couple of hours for one short barracuda. Found a couple of spots with good current and set up on the pick, only saw a yellow in the chum line once. Very good day for the 3 B's fishing, caught plenty of barries, calicos and tangle tuna. It was a GREAT ride back to barn - only 1 hour 20 minutes from Toyon Bay to Dana Point.

My son had a similar experience as you did trolling rapalas at Catalina Island, lost two of them in the same day via large toothed critters, I'm thinking makos.

Reactions: rick rouland
Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
We had a very similar day to yours yesterday, I'm sure we probably passed each other a couple times. Started at Pebbly, worked up to Church Rock, then worked the front side over to Gilbrator. We pulled rapalas or slow trolled sardines for a couple of hours for one short barracuda. Found a couple of spots with good current and set up on the pick, only saw a yellow in the chum line once. Very good day for the 3 B's fishing, caught plenty of barries, calicos and tangle tuna. It was a GREAT ride back to barn - only 1 hour 20 minutes from Toyon Bay to Dana Point.

My son had a similar experience as you did trolling rapalas at Catalina Island, lost two of them in the same day via large toothed critters, I'm thinking makos.

Upvote 0