Catalina 7/21 Capsized skiff, Large Dorsal Fin Sighting and Lost a rod

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by SeaHawk IV, Jul 22, 2019.

1. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Left Davies at 5:30AM. Skipped Nacho's and headed to the West End corner looking for macks. No luck.

Spot a large dorsal fin about 40 feet from us finning the surface. Dorsal was about 10" to 12" tall and lite primer gray in color. The base was not much smaller. Shaped like a fin on a surboard with the tip slightly hooked to the rear. I'm thinking Jaws but never got close enough to see what it was.

Metered small bait balls at Eagle Rock but didn't meter that much fish. Set out the trollers and headed to Farnsworth. Made several passes to all the high spots. Metered fish but not certain if they were Yellowtail. Quit after 45 mins after no luck. Only a few private boaters, dive boat and a cattle boat.

Headed to Ben Weston to locate squid and didn't meter any nor any gulls around. Headed to Mills Landing area and saw a skiff capsized on the beach. It was a 12' to 14' aluminum skiff with a black outboard flipped upside down at the edge of the surf break. Saw a shirtless guy in red shorts walking around and near the skiff filming himself. I stayed close by for about 15 minutes and the dude didn't look distressed nor was he trying to get our attention for help so I left.

Connected with a few short Calicos and saw some small Yellowtails but they didn't want to bite our offerings. So off to Eagle Rock area. Met up with a couple sportboats and several private boaters. Area didn't look fishy at all. Caught a few barricudas and junk fish and moved on.

Went around the corner to the front side and saw a few more sportboats. This was about 2PM and the wind picked up to 15 knots and white capping. Ride home was not that bad compared to those departing from the east end. Made it back to White's point in about 70 minutes.

rick rouland likes this.
  2. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Was it moving back and forth, lazily? Probably a mola mola!
    Did you see a tail fin? If so, probably Elvis (swordfish)
    Might be Jaws Jr or Deep Blue, seeing how Jaws kicked the bucket in 1975.

:D:D

Bummer about the skiff, at least the guy is OK!

Did you lose the rod at the tuna pens?

Thanks for the report!

3. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    Definitely wasn't a Mola Mola. Seen plenty of those. This species was about 60 feet away from the island.

Lost rod at the kelp line at Catalina Island backside.

4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    black marlin. :D

5. FearNoFish31

FearNoFish31 Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    N/A
    There were definitely yellows at Farnsworth. We got one on Saturday and lost 2. Lost another one on Sunday morning to the pinnacles.

6. Cheeseburger Killer

Cheeseburger Killer Beloved Son

Name:
    Kent
    Boat:
    Selling It...
    38D91E46-6FB2-4C8D-B692-082BA546E08A.png It was “lowprofile’s” dream 300# mako...

turn the handle and wils like this.
  7. boxofrain

boxofrain Member

Name:
    Ed Schmitt
    Boat:
    Robalo 25 foot "Fishfinder"
    As for the big fin- There have been some big Risso’s dolphins out near the backside. Well over ten feet long with big gray curved dorsal. We saw a few on Friday. That is what I am thinking you might have seen

apogee likes this.
  8. Long Beach Bob

Long Beach Bob Member

Name:
    Bob Ballew
    Boat:
    2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
    Could have been the man-in-the-grey suit...Divers have been chased off Ship Rock and Farnsworth by great whites recently...

9. SeaHawk IV

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    After looking at various photos of sharks and dolphins, the Short Fin Mako's dorsal looks the closest to what I recall.

10. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Could very well be. I saw a 10+ foot mako at the Suicide Kelp 3 years ago, not more than 100 yards off the island. They come in to hunt the yellows and bonito. Came right out from under the boat, trying to eat my friends hooked yellow. Biggest friggin shark I have ever seen up close.

Keokix21grams likes this.