Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
Flat crossing from Newport to Catalina in the AM and PM. Decent dines from the Newport bait barge which is inside the harbor right now because of dredging. Calmest seas I've ever seen, 30mph+ both ways. Stopped on a garage door-sized paddy about 7 miles from the east end. It was about 8am by the time I stopped, so I'm sure other boats coming from Newport hit it. No life but a few sunfish. Soaked dines on it for 30min and let a few irons sink really deep. Continued to church rocks area for a drift. Chummed a bunch and got a few boils around the boat and got a barely legal barracuda and good sized calico, both released. Much of our bait was getting torn up, presumably by calicos. Lost a more decent-sized fish, don't know what they were. Then a guy spearfishing while his boat towed him came through and we moved. It was probably fine to stay, but wanted to be cautious.

Trolled natural colored x-raps around the east end for nothing. Went up to the condos and fished close in for some short calico bites. A few charter boats came and went in that time. Then packed up and went home around 1pm. Stopped on a good paddy 10 miles from Newport, 3 sunfish and some perch underneath, but nothing else. Used my sardines on a carolina rig in the harbor while we washed the boat and got a leopard shark and two of the biggest spotties I've ever seen.

One question, I sometimes see boats presumably trolling in this area not too far from the east end. What are they fishing for out there? I've gone further thar direction for Tuna, but these guys aren't that far off, maybe a mile or mile and a half.

1623073620631.png

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Yeah, those marlin guys have the gas to burn, but marlin usually don't show until Aug/Sept, especially in this cold water/windy year.

It seems highly likely they are trolling for mylar balloons as they are in season - in hopes of fishing with Ali in the near future!
    :D

Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    If you are talking about right now, I would bet my next five paychecks that there are no boats trolling for marlin now. Did you see boats there on this trip or are you talking about in general as the water warms up more?

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 11, 2011
    SoCal
    Name
    chris
    Boat
    Sold it
    f recent could also be the squid and bait boats locating the bait. Light boats have been working that area since December and push off the beach during the day.

View attachment 12876

Attachments

• 982A75A0-41C3-455A-A812-AE099618A9E8.jpeg
      982A75A0-41C3-455A-A812-AE099618A9E8.jpeg
      627.8 KB · Views: 27
    Upvote 0