Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
May 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Ronnie Jones
Boat
Seaswirl 2901
In Catalina for the weekend doing some diving, little bit of fishing, etc. Tried seal Rock on Friday morning then wrapped around to can dumps. It was a little windier than I expected.

We had sardines from Newport which were 5 to 6 in. Probably too big for what we were fishing for. Caught some calicos and that was it. And seeing some barracuda cruising around the outside moorings though.

We tried slow trolling dines and some rapalas. I did see a sport boat hooked up near can dumps on what seemed to be a yellow tail. They were yelling at us to throw bait in the water which I found odd for about 10 seconds and then I saw a few seals around their boat chasing their customers' fish. About 15 minutes later, I saw the seal ripping apart and yellowtail and tossing it around.

Bright side of things? I saw a black sea bass cruising under The mooring of my boat. Never seen one of those underwater.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Cool report and way to give it a go. As for Black Seabass I spent 2hrs on Tbird on a 150lb Black Seabass (photo/released) on 20lb Ande, Jigmaster 500, Tiger Rod...with the help of Sonny Jones. 80'S
    A year later a 300lb on Seahawk on 30lb Izorline 1hr. LOL You'll know when you hook one. Like winding up a wet rug. LOL LOL PS it was properly deflaed by 2 off duty DFG guys fishing onboard, revived and swiftly swam away happy FYI.

RON-04.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Friggin' floating flea farming fur bags. Can't stand 'em.

Nice of the sport boat letting you know to brail bait. You'll get 'em next time!

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Sorry to comment, and of course I have no idea when that picture was taken, but the seabass never should have been removed from the water, let alone gaffed (even in the lips). So, anyone else seeing that picture, please don't do it. Not only are those black/giant seabass are just too precious to handle that way, but it is highly illegal.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Sorry to comment, and of course I have no idea when that picture was taken, but the seabass never should have been removed from the water, let alone gaffed (even in the lips). So, anyone else seeing that picture, please don't do it. Not only are those black/giant seabass are just too precious to handle that way, but it is highly illegal.
    AFTER 2HRS...SPENT...THE SEABASS WAS PROPERLY LIFTED ON DECK AND PROPERLY BLADDER DEFLATED, LOWERED AND REVIVED ALL BY 2 OFF DUTY DFG GUYS FISHING ONBOARD. NOT ILLEGAL AND PROPERLY DONE. THANKS Tunahead

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    AFTER 2HRS...SPENT...THE SEABASS WAS PROPERLY LIFTED ON DECK AND PROPERLY BLADDER DEFLATED, LOWERED AND REVIVED ALL BY 2 OFF DUTY DFG GUYS FISHING ONBOARD. NOT ILLEGAL AND PROPERLY DONE. THANKS Tunahead
    By taking the fish aboard for a photo op, you were in "possession" of the black seabass, and that is illegal, notwithstanding the claimed presence of two off-duty wardens -- ask any on-duty warden. Beyond the illegality, you weren't doing the fish any favors, and may have caused dislocation of or damage to its internal organs. Displaying that picture here presents a bad example for others who may not know better. Not having the strength of character to take responsibility . . . speaks for itself. RESPONDING IN ALL CAPS . . . asinine. But its giving me a downvote -- that really hurt.

Reactions: 1badfishlbz
    leocrazy
    leocrazy
    The guy was just sharing an old fishing picture and story, relax. Yes things were not managed in the 80’s like they are now. I think most of us on this site realize black seabass are protected. If anyone doesn’t know im sure they will realize very quickly if they ever tell a story of catching one and not handling it properly. Now take a deep breath and have a beer or something.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    By taking the fish aboard for a photo op, you were in "possession" of the black seabass, and that is illegal, notwithstanding the claimed presence of two off-duty wardens -- ask any on-duty warden. Beyond the illegality, you weren't doing the fish any favors, and may have caused dislocation of or damage to its internal organs. Displaying that picture here presents a bad example for others who may not know better. Not having the strength of character to take responsibility . . . speaks for itself. RESPONDING IN ALL CAPS . . . asinine. But its giving me a downvote -- that really hurt.
    This was back in the 80's and the Veteran DFG off duty guys made the call to board and deflate the fish so it could live. Then lowered and revived it took off like a rocket ALIVE! Nuff said. :-)

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    This was back in the 80's and the Veteran DFG off duty guys made the call to board and deflate the fish so it could live. Then lowered and revived it took off like a rocket ALIVE! Nuff said. :-)
    Thank you for not shouting. I guess your point about it being in the 80's is that you wouldn't do it today. I hope the newbies around here that read your posts can read between the lines.

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Thank you for not shouting. I guess your point about it being in the 80's is that you wouldn't do it today. I hope the newbies around here that read your posts can read between the lines.
    At the time, we were fishing for White Seabass, and a well known angler friend, who later died from Cancer, had caught the biggest ghost. Me on 20lb and a Tiger Rod bent in a u-turn for 1hr, the crew thought maybe a big WSB. After an hour at color it was black, and not doing well. One of the DGF guys, a Fisheries Marine Biologist, said don't cut the line...let's deflate it. They did. Seen again few times.
    I had never wound on anything that heavy since starting with dad on the Matt Walsh age 4 in 1950, so listened to the crew and the DFG guys, and handed over the rod. I was glad to see it swim off at full speed, and not become another big black floater off the backside of Catalina over many years. FYI. My point to the poster was, if you see a black seabass swimming around your boat, think twice about trying to hook it. LOL

PS I don't recall downvoting..so IC you did ME? LOL

Last edited: