Catalina 6/18- son's first time out

May 18, 2017
California
Name
Unknown
Boat
HSV
Took out my son who just turned 7 a few months ago and he had a blast! We went on the Black Pearl, and I believe we mainly fished the front side of Catalina. I pinned anchovy on for him on a #2 , 15lb flouro, and I'll be damned, he out fished me!! The crew was pretty amazing, I was trying to help him on a few backlashes and the captian stepped right in and said " let me handle this, so you can fish dad"! One stop near the end of the day was when he got two short barracuda, 2 calico's (one legal 17"), and I think 3 bonito. I unfortunately only got the one picture of the bonito, I don't know what happened to the legal calico that I took. As for me, I wasn't having luck on the sardines so I switched to a little anchovy megabait and caught 5 bonito. Only one little yellow caught the whole day (maybe 8-10 lbs). After we got off the boat, my son asked me if we could go the next day! He's hooked now. The Black Pearl was a good boat to go on for him on the first trip. It was only $80, and I believe was limited to 28 people. The boat was a little smaller, but it wasn't bad at all. I'll probably going on that boat with him again......this weekend!! Cheers

IMG_0500.JPG

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Great report Pops!! Love to read about the youngsters hooking up and having a great time on the ocean. I have nothing but good things to say about the Black Pearl and crew and am happy to hear you had a great day. Hopefully you and your son got to take advantage of the bunks (my favorite place to be on the way out/in).

Reactions: FishingPatriot1775

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
That's awesome!!! I've been fishing with my sons since they were little and they still love to fish with their dad.

watersdeep

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
He out fished you? better get used to it. Theres nothing better. cute kid.

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Awesome!!!
Glad he caught fish and sounds like an overall good experience.
I can't wait for the day when my son is old enough to give it a go.
:D