Catalina 6/05/19 on SlayDay Boat

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by captain94704, Jun 6, 2019.

1. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    For the last month I have been watching the fish counts at Catalina and Coronado Islands as I prepared for my first summer fishing trip of the season. After the storm 3 weeks ago the Coronado Island's yellowtails have been MIA. I considered going for the bluefin on a full day trip but 2-6 fish for 30 guys did not look like good odds. Catalina looked like a good bet based on recent reports of yellowtail. The problem was the Gail Force and Triton were not running open party trip on June 5 and these are my preferred limited party trips. In light of the Native Son taking out 75 passengers Tuesday I need to find a better option.

I have been reading the reports from Ryan at SlayDay boat rentals here on BD and decided to give them a try. My primary concerns in doing this would be the quality of the boat and how would I find the fish. The advantage of a charter boat is you have a captain who is on the water every day taking you to the fish, the trade off is you get to do it with your new 75 best friends. I called Ryan and set up a rental for June 5. He sent me a text with some excellent info on where to fish and the boat's fish finder is excellent with many programmed fishing spots. The boat itself is well maintained and we made the crossing to the east end (30 miles from Long Beach) in about 1 hour. We goat a nice scoop of squid from Nachos. The plan was to start on the East End of Catalina and work our way up the backside until we ended at the West end of the island where the party boats have been catching the yellowtail the last few days. I have never done this before on a party boat due to the distance but with the speed of the slayday boat and the mild swell it seemed like the day to do it and hopefully avoid the "crowds".

We starting fishing on the east end and caught numerous short Calicos. They were every where and eating dead squid, they did not seem to want the live squid. I also hooked a nice barracuda on a colt sniper. We also got numerous small Sheepshead. We worked our way up the island and I finally hooked the right kind on live squid on Eagle rock on 30# with 9# of drag on a long soak of about 100 yards. Despite a decent amount of drag the yellowtail was having none of it and immediately took me from the stern to the bow peeling off drag and I watch my braid go against the anchor line and pop its gone. Oh well its was fun while it lasts and my freezer still has yellowtail and yellowfin from last year. We continued down the island and saw excellent conditions with good current and clean water. However on the front side of the island I could not get a bite to save my life. It looks like the Calico's either have not moved in to this area or were less active. We found the fleet of 4 party boats around Emerald Bay and I never saw anyone hooked up but I did see a sea lion with a 20# yellowtail in its mouth. One of the party boats pulled anchor and attempted to chase down the sea lion but the fishing line had already broken so I am not clear how that was supposed to work. On the front side there was bait breaking the surface everywhere but I did not see any signs of bonita/barracuda/calicos under the bait and I tried numerous times to get a bite.

Overall its early in the season and I think in the next month Catalina is going to go off. The Slay day boat was excellent and I would highly recommend it. The 4 party boats all left around 3pm to head in and we fished to 4 pm and then passed them mid channel. It felt excellent to be on a fast boat for once.

IMG_1066.jpeg IMG_1062.jpeg IMG_1061.jpeg

wkk, Zika, sacman and 11 others like this.
  2. Big_Tuna_

Big_Tuna_ Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Hobie Tandem Island
    Thanks for the thorough report! I'm curious about the slayday boats, how much did the boat end up costing you when it was all said and done?

SLAYDAYSoCal likes this.
  3. Tailman

Tailman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Lal Parsonge
    Boat:
    18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
    Thanks for the report !!

4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Good effort guys!

5. HighWildFree

HighWildFree Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    Moooo!
    Slayday rentals are only $550 this month during the week. Seems like a great price.

6. bent rod todd

bent rod todd Ling cod killa

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    Skipjack 20 open (Ding A Ling) 14ft mirrocraft ( Lil Ding A Ling)
    Im interested in some pricing also, be way easier than towing down and faster

7. captain94704

captain94704 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    none
    The owner is on BD so he can outline prices better but for 12 hours this month during the week it’s $550, Normal price is $675, this includes fuel.

Other costs were parking if applicable and bait if needed.

It was great, met boat at launch ramp loaded gear into the boat. He put the boat into the water and away we went. I am a little reluctant to tell everyone how great it was because I want to be able to rent the boat again in the future without them all being rented but at the same time I want to support a well run family business.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  8. SLAYDAYSoCal

SLAYDAYSoCal Catalina-worthy Center Console Rentals Advertiser

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Alum. Center Console Bajas
    Normal 12-hr 4-pack on any of our boats is $675 (divided equally amongst the 4 of you) and that includes all fuel for the day! Live bait is on your own, but we DO provide bait service for a fee.

9. SLAYDAYSoCal

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Check out slaydaysocal.com

jsl and repo805 like this.
  10. SLAYDAYSoCal

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Every June (Mon-Fri only)
    :rockin:

princefredo and rick Jackson like this.
  11. SLAYDAYSoCal

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Yes sir! $140 per anger for a private 12 hour day on a boat by yourself? Sign me up.

karlk1125, princefredo and repo805 like this.
  12. Mr G

Mr G .............

Name:
    Guy
    Boat:
    24 Stamas w/ 2006 AQ271c penta 290 duo
    How much fuel does the boat come with and what's the average mpg? Thanks

princefredo likes this.
  13. SLAYDAYSoCal

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Our boats have late model Yamaha 2017 series F 4-strokes with a MINIMUM of 40 gallons on board, with roughly 3.25-4.5 NMPG. These aluminum hulls offer incredible efficiency.

Mr G and karlk1125 like this.
  14. gettingbentwithbo

gettingbentwithbo Get Bent!

Name:
    Bo
    Boat:
    14' Starcraft SF SS
    I need to get out on one of the Slayday boats!

15. karlk1125

karlk1125 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Karl Kobler
    Boat:
    World Cat 270sc
    Sounds like a kick ass operation!!!

16. fish&snow

fish&snow lurker

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Reel Freedom
    Ryan’s boats are very efficient. I had the opportunity to slay on on one earlier this year. It’s a great deal.

17. mahyar

mahyar Member

Name:
    mahyar
    Boat:
    no
    slay day rocks. on my last trip last year Ryan also provided us with a kill bag full of ice.

pacificscout likes this.