PENN

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
9am launch from Los Alamitos. Nacho for a half scoop Of squid. And we were on our way.
on the boat was my middle son Coleman and his three high school buddies. ALl of these guys are graduating next week. Childhood friends, teammates/athletes, all that jazz. 1 of them had fished catalina with us once prior. The other two had a combined 1 day on the ocean in the 36 combined years of being on this planet- a flyer trip to Avalon.
first spot on the front at 10am showed yellows and Calicos on the meter but they were sleeping. We went into a beach and got one of the rookies his first Legal halibut, first ocean fish for that matter. No doubt gaff fish at 28”. sweet, on the board.
Couple hours later we made our way back to our spot. A buddy of mine pulled up on his big Trojan and we side tied. We had already put 1 10lb yellow on the boat on our fist drift. Another first for my son’s other friend.
after side tying, the next 2 hours was a steady pick on the released Calicos and 3 sweet yellows from 15-25lbs. Largest fish measured 44”. I got bit on 2 of them and I handed off one to my buddy’s son. His first yellow. And the other caught by his Friend.
sorry, lots of buddies abs sons and friends on this fishing day. But it was epic. Weather was awesome all day. Fishing was even better.
Now the important stuff.
high tide was 3pm tofay.
the yellows bit from 1230-245pm, and then went back to sleep.
fished 4/0 squid hooks with 1/8-3/8 slider.
water temp was 63.5.
Anchored in 85’.
Good current running west with the wind.
deeper, longer soaks got 3 .
Big fish was caught further up and away from the boat.
Hope this long winded message helps.
this week looks to be a great week. Go get them if you can!

Almost forgot, 5pm seabass attempted on the east End gave us our record, released Calico. 25”. Maybe 7lb!

Glen

DACEC852-311E-4B4A-81C4-4AAED0D96F9E.jpeg

0950970B-D93C-4553-8137-C25EABF39CF5.jpeg

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
The monster calicos definitely come out later in the afternoon. Glad you released that one because it has been around for ages. That is a huge slug! The main problem is that you spoiled these new guys. They will think that fishing is always like this.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Great report and pics. Can't beat Father/Son fishing trips. LOL
    Glad ya got some nice Yellows and Co's too! Fun time for all.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    What a day! Great report with a lot of great information. Congrats to you and all the graduates.

Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    It seems like it's been the norm for the dates to get messed up... we figured it out....just messin with ya....Nice calico....

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Heck ya! That's how it is done!

Hopefully heading over next week during the new moon phase, keeping my fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

craig ito

Almost A Member
    Dec 13, 2017
    norwalk
    Name
    craig
    Boat
    seaswirl
    At 44 the best days of fishing are still with my pops...whether we’re catching or fishing it’s all good times that will never be forgotten...your badass bro!!!

Reactions: Wasitrytofish
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Great day you put together! Yaaah, we headed out around nine... haha. I know calicos look bigger than they weigh but that monstrosity looked like a DD fer sure!

Was on a charter at Cat this weekend and it was way slooooow for us. We weren't soaking the live tubes though.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0