fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
went over to the island sunday for my first overnight trip ever to try and catch some WSB stopped at nachos and got a scoop of live squid and headed towards the island
weather going over was great, first fished a small kelp bed i like to fish for awhile and the fishing was really good. i tryed out my new abu garcia revo inshore there by casting live squid into the kelp for calicos. the first two i got were nice fish
one about 4 pounds and one about 2.5 i released the 4 pounder. i probably caught about 10-15 calicos doing that... great fun i released about 8 calicos and only kept a few for some fish tacos.man that reel is great plent of drag to get the calicos right out of the kelp and a great casting reel.
my dad was fishing bottom most of the time and got three nice sheepshead
one was 4.5 pounds
nice fish
then we headed over to the backside and anchored up around the three vs and tried our luck at the sea bass. we got none .. my dad managed to get three sharks (i dont know what kind they are so if you know and would like to share please do) and to catch and release some small calicos but thats it. very slow night. and the blue perch were constantly mauling our squid. so we pulled anchor and left around 830ish and headed to some small beaches to maybe pick up a halibut or a WSB.. nothing
so we headed to the farnsworth to do some rockfishing but there was no current at all so we only got a few small tree fish. so we headed to eagle rock and only got one sculpin. monday the current was just dead at the island. we made a drift for halibut on the horseshoe kelp on the way home and we couldn't even stay on the bottom with 8 oz sinkers!!!:ashamed:
my dad and i were both really tired so we decided to head in
didnt get alot of fish but it was really fun
weather was great
water temp was about 64 at the island and lots of bait fish all over the place. so its starting to look pretty good.

calico2.jpg calico 3.jpg catalina sunset 1.jpg hornshark 1.jpg hornshark 2.jpg sheepshead(dad).jpg

Upvote 0

geno machino

"Relax" - Everything is going to be just fine!
Feb 9, 2007
O'side
Name
Gene
Boat Name
Boat Ho
Sounded like a real fun trip. Nice pics of the calico's! Thanks for the report.

Geno

Upvote 0

fishman27

Don’t know
Mar 15, 2008
Dana Point
Name
Matt Vander Dussen
Boat Name
19.5 Chaparel Striker
thanks for the info guys
my dad caught another shark
but i was sleeping busy weekend before and i was really tired...
kinda eerie sleeping in my boat for the first time but way fun

Upvote 0