Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
launched from Davies at 5am, and hauled ass to nachos. Got some candy, seen one of his chihuahua's take a dump on the dock, (funny) and pointed west. Swell wasn't too bad on the way out. Averaged about 20 on the way out to the west end. Had to slow her down a little bit when we got closer. Not much fog BTW. Metered around for a while and found the spot. First cast got a rat yellow, second got a nice sheephead. My buddy got a couple more rats, and it was a nice steady pick at quality calicos until about 10:00 then boom. Wide open calicos until about 11:30. Headed back at noon. The ride back was like my old lady, flat. Averaged 25, nice. Didn't even pay attention the the water temp. Oh, and I got hit by something hard, pulled drag and couldn't slow her down. It pulled me into structure and I wasted about 45 minutes trying to get her out. No dice, she won that round. Harvested 2 rats (7-8 pounds or so) and the sheep. The rats were stuffed with red crab. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Thanks for the report. You have higher standards than I do, I've never considered a 7 to 8 pound yellowtail a "rat." Good job, you may have run into a big black seabass, they have a habit of gulping and darting back into their cave.

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
    Apr 22, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Grumpy
    Thanks for the report. You have higher standards than I do, I've never considered a 7 to 8 pound yellowtail a "rat." Good job, you may have run into a big black seabass, they have a habit of gulping and darting back into their cave.
    I was thinking the same thing about a black. All 4 foot of 25# floro leader was chafed up pretty good.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Most any report is better than none, nice job, good info!!!

Upvote 0