NoFeelings

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2012
Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
Name
Eddy
Boat
Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
Fished Catalina on 11/15. Left Newport harbor with a scoop and half of decent dines from the bait barge at 5:30 am.

I asked the barge when they are done and they are gone Nov 20th just FYI.

water was glassy calm on the way out to the island and very calm. Made 28 mph out the the east end.

fished all of the east end back side up to China point. Mostly because sea lions make for a ruff day on the front side. Bones were think everywhere, trolled a Rapala magnum 20 in bonito and green Mac pattern. Sonar schools were impressive from 3 to call it 7 lb bonito. The best stretch was shallow from palisades through the V’s in about 60 feet of water. Once stopped, they would hang around you for as long as you wanted. Easy to hit limits in a short amount of time. Saw less volume as you pushed towards middle back side.

switch gears and hit some deep water areas for rockfish and that was excellent as well. Both on the east end hard bottom and the back side hard bottom. around 200-230 ft of water. Whitefish, reds sheepshead. Everything was biting. Also saw huge schools of blue perch near the kelp areas in shallow.

saw a few nice yellows mixed in with the bones swimming around but literally couldn’t get a bait passed the bonito. Had a couple macs but they didn’t get picked up.

beautiful day at the island, headed back in around 2pm and it was still pretty calm on the way in.

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    Fished Catalina on 11/15. Left Newport harbor with a scoop and half of decent dines from the bait barge at 5:30 am.

I asked the barge when they are done and they are gone Nov 20th just FYI.

water was glassy calm on the way out to the island and very calm. Made 28 mph out the the east end.

fished all of the east end back side up to China point. Mostly because sea lions make for a ruff day on the front side. Bones were think everywhere, trolled a Rapala magnum 20 in bonito and green Mac pattern. Sonar schools were impressive from 3 to call it 7 lb bonito. The best stretch was shallow from palisades through the V’s in about 60 feet of water. Once stopped, they would hang around you for as long as you wanted. Easy to hit limits in a short amount of time. Saw less volume as you pushed towards middle back side.

switch gears and hit some deep water areas for rockfish and that was excellent as well. Both on the east end hard bottom and the back side hard bottom. around 200-230 ft of water. Whitefish, reds sheepshead. Everything was biting. Also saw huge schools of blue perch near the kelp areas in shallow.

saw a few nice yellows mixed in with the bones swimming around but literally couldn’t get a bait passed the bonito. Had a couple macs but they didn’t get picked up.

beautiful day at the island, headed back in around 2pm and it was still pretty calm on the way in.

i was gonna write a report but mine is pretty much identical except we left from Davies, half scoop of the nicest smallish sardines ive seen all year. Couldnt believe how smooth the seas were, averaged 30mph straight to the east back, large hard fighting bonito buffet! A large 4’ leopard in 80’. Sand dabs and whitefish at 250’.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    A question for you guys fishing deep . When you are looking for spots are you actually metering fish deep or just going to know productive areas? Asking for a friend!

Reactions: NoFeelings
    Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    A question for you guys fishing deep . When you are looking for spots are you actually metering fish deep or just going to know productive areas? Asking for a friend!
    Both! But I usually head towards known spots then check out the FF. But yesterday was so nice, even if you dont have one or dont know any spots you woulda had no trouble finding fish!

Upvote 0

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    So same area just off the ledge. I never bottom fish! Thanks

Upvote 0

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
    Iowa City Iowa
    Name
    Rob Malone
    Boat
    don't got no boat
    Fished Catalina on 11/15.
    Sonar schools were impressive from 3 to call it 7 lb bonito. The best stretch was shallow from palisades through the V’s in about 60 feet of water. Once stopped, they would hang around y Whitefish, reds sheepshead. Everything was biting. Also saw huge schools of blue perch near the kelp areas in shallow.

No feelings,
    Geez, lots of bones in midNovember. What is happening out there in SoCal?? In the old days, bones were gone by late Sept. or early Oct. I can remember a few years where they were gone by the end of August. A 7lb bone will give you a tussle; I envy your trip.

Just curiosity. Did you make Poke out of any of the bonito? I don't think it's quite as good as Skipjack Poke, but bonito poke is pretty darn good.

By Blue perch, do you mean Halfmoon? I used to love catching those perch. On 6-8lb line and light rigs, they really fought, and I think they were quite nice to eat. Did you catch any?

Reactions: NoFeelings
    Upvote 0

NoFeelings

Almost A Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Irvine/CA/U.S.A.
    Name
    Eddy
    Boat
    Parker 2320 “No Feelings”
    No feelings,
    Geez, lots of bones in midNovember. What is happening out there in SoCal?? In the old days, bones were gone by late Sept. or early Oct. I can remember a few years where they were gone by the end of August. A 7lb bone will give you a tussle; I envy your trip.

Just curiosity. Did you make Poke out of any of the bonito? I don't think it's quite as good as Skipjack Poke, but bonito poke is pretty darn good.

By Blue perch, do you mean Halfmoon? I used to love catching those perch. On 6-8lb line and light rigs, they really fought, and I think they were quite nice to eat. Did you catch any?
    I totally did make poke lol. It’s delicious.

And yes, they were half moons. I didn’t catch any of them I’m was determined to find that yellowtail which I didn’t catch lol.

I know no one asked but I’m going to say it anyways. Bonito isn’t as easy as “just bleed them and ice them and they are good”. It’s not as easy I find, like I did it a few times but I was doin it wrong. Specifically, when you bleed them, you cant just pop a Gill and be done. You gotta cut their neck right by their heart to really bleed them out. Then upside down in a5 gal bucket. But the bucket situation too... like blood is warm right? So you gotta change that water out. Warm blood makes the water in your bucket warm which is bad. And don’t let them sit in the bucket for 10 minutes or something. Like don’t forget about them, catch another fish then say “oh I should put this last one on ice.” That’s bad. Just a couple minutes to bleed out then on the ice. Then cover them in ice, not just on top of ice. Anyways rant over.

here’s my poke photo 👍🏼 And a photo of the color of the bonito meat when I did it right.

F145021B-E7BD-47DC-9539-9572117BF62E.jpeg

B7E06BE6-969E-4DB4-B6FC-E902D9413957.jpeg

onehottip

May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    That does look good. I will do that! No feelings thank you!

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    I totally did make poke lol. It’s delicious.

And yes, they were half moons. I didn’t catch any of them I’m was determined to find that yellowtail which I didn’t catch lol.

I know no one asked but I’m going to say it anyways. Bonito isn’t as easy as “just bleed them and ice them and they are good”. It’s not as easy I find, like I did it a few times but I was doin it wrong. Specifically, when you bleed them, you cant just pop a Gill and be done. You gotta cut their neck right by their heart to really bleed them out. Then upside down in a5 gal bucket. But the bucket situation too... like blood is warm right? So you gotta change that water out. Warm blood makes the water in your bucket warm which is bad. And don’t let them sit in the bucket for 10 minutes or something. Like don’t forget about them, catch another fish then say “oh I should put this last one on ice.” That’s bad. Just a couple minutes to bleed out then on the ice. Then cover them in ice, not just on top of ice. Anyways rant over.

here’s my poke photo 👍🏼 And a photo of the color of the bonito meat when I did it right.

View attachment 1225204

View attachment 1225205
    That is beautiful! I can never get it looking nice like that. You got some skills!

Upvote 0

Latest posts