PENN

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Finally had an opportunity yesterday to get on the Samrock and make a run either off-shore or to Catalina. Arrived at Cabrillo around 5 AM with my 82 year old Pop and the fog was super thick (as per the forecast). Running lights went out, so we opted to hang back until things cleared up a bit. Sun came up, the fog got thicker and thicker and Dad and I went to breakfast at a great little hole in the wall, "The Lighthouse Cafe" on Pacific in San Pedro. All I can say is, go support this restaurant. You will not be let down.
Home made chili and great omelettes.
IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Came back to Cabrillo and around 10:30 and shoved off. Picked up some medium sized sardine and headed straight to the West End. Also, thanks to fellow BD member Sea Hawk IV for reaching out! Smooth ride over with wind and a little chop a few miles from the Island. Turned the corner and conditions looked OK. Only boat in sight was the Enterprise rockfishing out in deep water.

The plan was to look around and slow troll for the larger yellows, being caught as of late. My Dad asks me "Where are all the big boats at?" And I emphatically said, “Pop. We don't need them!” We start metering around The Rock area and right on the cue, The Native Sun comes down the Island from the middle backside and starts circling and throwing chum around our boat. "Dad, the big boats are looking for us today" I said and I will gladfully let the big diesels chum up the water for us any day of the week. The captain was courteous and kept his distance. It was nice to have some company.

The Native Sun threw the anchor in pretty much the exact spot we are checking out, but no worries as we weren’t fishing structure just a general area in about 90 feet of water. Began to slow troll in a little deeper water, as a native was starting to chum up mostly birds and the current was pushing the bait fish away from the island opposite of his stern. Never saw him get bit for the one hour or so he was there.

Took advantage of the chum and a couple hundred yards away from his starboard side I get picked up on the 25 pound test Calstar 870 and Newell 322. Heart gets pumping a bit and feeling good about being in deeper flat bottom water. Typical yellowtail strong runs, tail pumps, tug-of-war and ultimately land the gaff in this very nice 30 pound fish. Thank goodness for the brand new Izorline on the reel.

IMG_1668.jpg

E8A4AC0E-8E43-4F6A-8525-B808B6367500.jpeg

The Pursuit came working down the backside and slid right into the position of the NS and instantly went bendo. Hung a handful of fish and then the bite died for him. We worked the area for another hour and never found another bite. Lots of bird activity, lots of boils and lots and lots of seals Looks like good conditions are needed and this fish will go off. Headed home in a nice down swell and downwind condition.

IMG_1713.jpg

Lucky couple of hours on the water and always grateful to be out there with the old man.

Good luck out there, tight lines and all the best!

- Nick

“Nicky Shamrock” IMG_1710.jpg IMG_1661.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
Jul 26, 2007
Northridge, CA
Name
Donald W. Clarke III
Boat
11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
Way to work the situation and score a beauty! Also, I'm not much of a food pic guy, but dang that omelet looks guuuuud!

Good fishin'!
BDC OK

Reactions: Donkey Nick
Upvote 0

HBtunatime

Popper Man
May 31, 2019
HB
Name
Collin
Boat
12' Cobra Navigator XF; whatever else floats
Gorgeous fish! Hope I can get one like that someday. And Lighthouse looks good! Reminds me of harbor house cafe

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Great tip, great pictures, great report, very nice Yellowtail indeed, great job!!!!!

Reactions: Donkey Nick
Upvote 0

dorado50

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
You do fish pics the right way!.

Reactions: mrkrabs
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Congrats on a great day.

Don't throw away the yellowtail collar! That is some of the best eating right there.

Upvote 0

Cheech

Sep 11, 2008
Tustin, CA
Name
Jeff Cheechov
Boat
Skipjack 24FB, AD41P diesel
Super nice Homeguard and well done. Great post and two thumbs up for getting Dad out on the water for some fun times together. Cherish that time and I'm sure you do. I hope I'm still fishing at 82 years old!

:jig:

Reactions: the SLIDER
Upvote 0

Flatinfifth

May 30, 2007
California
Name
Angel Sanchez-Figueras
Boat
Skeeter 21
Excellent. I remember my brother and I taking our father fishing on his last trip at the age of 89.9999. The memories are golden. Stick with it. It is a privilege of the highest order to be able to take care of and to share these wonderful moments with your father (or mom!!).

God Bless brother.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Good times for sure.. Wish I could have 1 more day with my dad. Glad you had one with yours!

Upvote 0