PENN

Socalslayer

Mar 12, 2008
LA,CA, US
Name
Darrin
Boat
Off the Grid 35' Radovich
Wen to fish Cat for Seabass. Tried to make bait that didn't happen too well with all the seiners. Bought a scoop from the Pacific Carnage. Let me tell you it was the fattest scoop of squid anyone on board had ever received. They hooked it up fatty style. Heard that there were some bigger grade models near the beaches on the grounds. We ended up anchoring along the kelp. Water was 58 degrees. We started a chumming and after about 30 minutes the calicos went on the chew pretty good for the next couple of hours. From 10-12pm. At about 1130 we hook a fish, turns out to be a ray. Another 30 minutes go by another fish hooked another ray. At about 12 my buddy Dan gets fucking smoked by a big fish takes him right into the kelp. Fought it for 30 minutes and finally got sliced off. At around 1am the clicker starts screaming. Finally a seabass smallish around 12lbs. About 30 minutes later another one same size all the way to gaff and my dumb ass farmed it the first time and my friend didn't keep the fishes head in the water and pop right in front of us, should have been a dead fish. Oh well. Thats all. slow the rest of the morning. Not even a wif at grey. At around 7 am we decided to go look for fish. As we were coming out the grounds we saw a good color change in the water and metered a whole bunch of fish. We stopped to throw some bait at them. My friend gets hooked up instantly, the fish started peeling line like a yellow. 20 seconds later a fucking seal swooped on it. Never got to see the fish but saw the seal fucking with it underwater. Ill try to get the pic of the seabass from my friend. it was only around 12lbs. Nothing to brag about.
Pretty stoked to get some seabass on my second try of the year. Glad to get the one but pissed we didn't get the second.
They are out there. Why is it when the Fred Hall Show starts the Seabass start biting every year?
Sorry for the vague descriptions on where we were fishing. Join fishdope if u want to find out. And i dont work or know anyone that works for bloodydecks.:Smoke_Emoticon:

Upvote 0

apcrew45

Jun 10, 2007
GH, CA
www.rmfineinc.com
Name
bye
Boat
hello
we metered a shit load of fish on a few spots too...and got spooled by a nice ghost that took off right after we brought it to color. we were 2 for 2.. give it 2 more weeks till these couple of storms clear through we should see some CRAZZY bites.

Upvote 0

geno machino

"Relax" - Everything is going to be just fine!
Feb 9, 2007
O'side
Name
Gene
Boat
Revo 13
Nice to get the goose egg off the boat:). WTG! Where goin to try it again late next week. Thanks for the report.
Geno

Upvote 0

Tunaslam

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
No longer virgin this year on WSB, an excellent start, congrats. Bummer on the lost fish.

Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Good job getting out.

Nothing to get too excited about unless your a commercial squider.

Just returned from 2 days at the island - yes - there are scattered wsb - most are terds - that 26in - 32in grade. Yes - shallow - east and west - that is all...

Upvote 0