Cat non-fish report for Monday 31st

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by UnReel, Jun 1, 2010.

1. UnReel

UnReel Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Didn’t have much time available to fish during Memorial weekend but I did give it a shot with the limited time I had midnight Sunday night thru Monday morning. Left the pad with UnReel in tow and hit the ramp about 8:30-9pm. No squid at the local receivers so I made the run across to the island with 10lb of fresh dead in the cooler from a local market . Got to the island and turned the corner to find a small city had been placed where one of the bites was. No biggie as there was plenty of water to fish. Made a call for live squid and got a reply that it was available. Just had to maneuver thru the city to get it. Got a decent scoop of bait from what looked to be the Squid A Lot but with a new name. Can’t remember what the guy called the boat. Anyway, was happy with the pass I got and told them that was all I needed as I was only fishing until just after sunup. Found a nice spot away from the crowd and set the hook around midnight and put out the new underwater squid light Dean made me. Thing works #@%%&! killer. Nice 20 to 30’ blue glow around the whole boat. To bad the 10 to 12 seals liked it too LOL!!! Anyway, fished in 100’ from midnight until gray light for not even one bite. Didn’t see or here anything caught around me. Did here of a couple radio fish caught by a few in the pack but in percentages of boats to fish caught I’d say it was pretty slow fishing for most and it seemed the grade was the smaller schooly size fish too. After sunup I made a couple moves and finally set up on a nice looking spot for the last ½ hr to 1hr of my fishing time. Made 4 to 5 casts and nailed 3 huge batrays that where hell of fun to catch on 65lb braid with 50# fluro leader. Buttoned the drags down to see how much the gear could take and it took more than I could LOL!!!. Damn things where dragging me around the boat. Half the time I couldn’t even keep the tip up. Now I know how hard I can really pull on that gear before having any failures though. That’s always good to know before hand. Even though the spot looked good I had to leave at 7:30 to 8am as I promised the wife I’d be home early so we could go to 2nd street for some eats and a couple drinks. Made it home with just minutes to spare so I’m still good for next weeks S-M trip ;) :D . Oh ya, even bananas didn’t help this trip .

Cant wait to put in a real effort next Sunday for Monday,
    B

2. Fishingguy

Fishingguy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    Parker
    Thanks for the report! You'll getem next week.

3. Rubberhook2

Rubberhook2 Local Bluefin

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    None
    Was that light Dean made you 12 volt or 110? I need a good underwater light and have not been thrilled with the 12 volt models that I have tried.

Sending a buddy in there this afternoon to pick up a crowder...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Sounds like a normal ghost hunting trip for most, sorry about that Beta!

5. Tues

Tues Not my job...

Name:
    Penis
    I think I saw the light...Dark Blue? Kind of the northern/eastern end of the bait grounds?

We ended with one small, keeper cbass.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    Are you fishing with the light on at all times? I have always wondered if this was a good idea....

post some pics of the light!

7. nefarious235

nefarious235 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Too bad on the no-fish Behdad , wish I had known you were around. Next time

8. UnReel

UnReel Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Not sure if who you saw was me as there was another boat with a blue light out that night as well. I was up toward Silver at the far west end of the pack. Had a 44Pacifica (Mark) behind me and a 44 Pacifica just inside of me. Nice job rounding up that keeper too.

Tray, I like to leave it out all night on the bait grounds to keep the bait around the boat and to hopfully stack the c-bass up under the boat. shallow water i just use the lights to make bait and then shut them down after. Sorry, no pics of the light.

Dan, didn't know you where out monday. thought I herd doug say your where out or had been out though. How did he do yesterday ??

9. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    I still wish I could have made it out with you Beta. You can't get em every time but you seem to get em most of the time ;) Glad the light worked out well for you and hope to be able to get out with you soon.

Tim, the light I made for Beta is 120v.

10. Trayscool

Trayscool Captain

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    NO BOATS
    cool man thanks for the info

11. jaebeee2006

jaebeee2006 JB

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    23, SeaSwirl Striper, No Worries
    thanks for the report B, and the info on lighting techniques. we had our share of bat rays, they can really break up the waiting time and get the heart pumping. better luck next time.