PENN

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
Long story long, my boat partner's new wife gave him the go-ahead to fish last weekend. Hell ya, we're out there. Decided to brave the crowds at Cat for the weekend. We knew Saturday was going to be a full on shit storm there, and it was. My novice roommate came, too.

Left Friday and tried to make macs in front of the break wall at MDR. Always there when you don't need it, never there when you're trying to go fishing. Stopped at some luscious paddies a couple miles off the island and zinged some mint Tady 45's for nothing. Made it to Cat at 1730 with absolutely no bait. Sick, grab your jig stick and keep your face in the techno-stabis, it'll be fine. Face in said binos, no working birds, zero surface signals, minimal current. Uh oh. Decided to setup some Rapalas 20 and 30 mag, fire tiger and bonito flavors, smoooooooth FG knots, 60lb fluoro, and switching eyeballs to fishfinder. Not a boat in sight. Started below MLPA at Long Point. 80-100 feet of water on the ridge, 6.5-7 knots, 66.4 degree clean water. 3 minutes in, metered some broken up bait. ZZZzZzzz. Hanging one. We are back! worked the zone for 1.5 hours and went 12 for 15 on some good grade fish. Got sharked a foot away from the boat at the gaff by a 10'+ mako. Going to sleep on the boat that night, novice roommate: "Dude, today was SO much fun. Is this what happens every time you guys come out here?" "Umm, no"

Saturday, headed past same MLPA to see a fleet of 50 boats all on anchor around Gibraltar area, soaking sardines. 0.1 knot of current, literally. Zero boats were bit. What are these guys doing here? Decided to shoot back to the V's. Grabbed a $50 half scoop of smaller squid. A million boats on anchor south of Avalon soaking bait. Set up on anchor at V's. Good current. A nice ass, big Grady comes in and drifts 10 yards off my bow. Excuse me, sir. Proceeds to hang a yellow right in front of us on a coffee grinder and breaks off after getting his ass kicked. Pull on your fish. Moved around a bit, couldn't get past the Opaleye, it was helmet. Nothing for us there. Novice roommate is understanding how fishing actually is, he looks tired and deflated. He misses the adrenaline and the sound of braid ripping off the spool. Decided to make some lunch and drink some beers on the can. Afternoon produced two more yellows just below Long Point MLPA. Gave some fish to our mooring neighbors. They were stoked and one of their daughters was my age and pretty fuggin' hot. Showing off a bit, ya know?

Sunday we had the same routine in the same area for an hour or so and managed one more yellow on the troll before heading home. Made the novice eat the still beating heart.

Same two DFG guys boarded us Saturday and Sunday and both times we were hooked up. "Are you guys hanging one right now AGAIN?" "Yes, I'm also coming around your side!" Boat partner kind of barks at them to move their boat off our port rail. We all had a laugh. I asked them to stay on board because they seemed to be good luck! Ended up 15 for 20 on the yellows. Last picture was from the first day. Calicos and white fish were all released. Hope this helps.

IMG_7112.jpg IMG_7106.jpg IMG_7065.jpg IMG_7053.jpg IMG_7051.jpg

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
Very nice!!!!!

On a side note, I have all the respect in the world for DFW, but if someone is in the middle of fight a fish, maybe they could wait to board at a later time? I understand they have a job to do though.

Reactions: C.Bergs
Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
Nice grip of Yellowtail, congratulations to all!
"my boat partner's new wife" uhoh, enjoy it now!

Upvote 0

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
Very nice!!!!!

On a side note, I have all the respect in the world for DFW, but if someone is in the middle of fight a fish, maybe they could wait to board at a later time? I understand they have a job to do though.
They were very prompt in moving their boat to stay clear of the line when it really mattered. When they pushed off, they even warned us of a seal heading towards our boat, then I went full drag, 2nd speed, and cranked a 25lb fish to the boat in short order. Better to pull the hook and lose it than see it eaten by a dog. Their tip probably saved us the fish. I would at least expect them to assess and know we're on a fish at least 50% of the time though.

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Dude....tell your roommate this happens all the time!!! When it doesn’t happen, tell him “off day, next time.” You’ll have a fishing partner for life! Constantly chasing the endless horizon!

Upvote 0

IrieMitch

Waterman
May 18, 2010
Newport Beach, CA
Name
Mitch
Boat
Captain of Papa's Haven (52' Cabo), Thunderbird Sportfishing
Impressive trip for no bait!! Nice work!

Upvote 0