Islands Cat front 4/30 sunny am; windy pm

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Conditions were nice so we made a run for the west end. Cruised comfortably around 20-23 knots. Fished around 09:30 to noon. Got a sheephead and 3 calicos on live dines and clams (Arctic/Canadian I think). Beautiful sunny conditions, very light breeze, only a couple other boaters around.

We started to head around towards the backside and the engine starts smoking. It started as an oil/rubber smell. Didn't see anything obviously leaking or melting. Started up again and still smoking, but no smell anymore - just white smoke. Maybe coolant?

Started limping back home and checked the engine every 5 minutes - smoking magically stopped.

Good thing we left when we did because wind picked up drastically on the way home. Made it back to the ramp fine. Engine ran fine all day.

IMG_7340[1].JPG

Last edited:

fishgrappler

Jul 4, 2015
Name
Bru
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open
Haven't found the problem because the problem is gone as of now. Today I noticed some oil seepage from the little elbow fitting on the starboard valve cover. When it was smoking the other day, it seemed to be coming from the starboard side, towards the front of the engine (Mercruiser 5.7). I'm hoping this is the (only) source.

Fuel tank is brand new - installed earlier this year. All new hoses too - checked the hose clamps the day before. New fuel/water separator. Gas is less than 2 months old, with Stabil marine added every time. I'm no expert but I don't think water could have gotten into the fuel.

Gonna talk to the shop guys later this week.

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    Slick as grease! Must of been gorgeous looking at the island and the great big blue from your sled.

How many of you seem to have slower fishing on the days that are calm and beautiful?

Reactions: bottomdweller
    Upvote 0