Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Steve and I took my sled to Cat Sunday. We stopped by a friendly Nacho and got a scoop. He said YT at the west end. We should have listened. We did our usual loop—East end, up the front side, shoe, then home. Well, the dogs had plans for us. EVERYWHERE we set up those bastards came, seemingly three at a time. They ate our bait, our chum and our released bass. We will be buying some powerful slingshots.

Anyways, we saw no sign of the other 2 Bs or YT or an errant BFT. The dogs finally disappeared at Long Point, but we had crappy fishing at points west. Eagle Reef was lifeless, other than some visible Garibaldi.

We bagged it and headed to the shoe where our luck didn’t change. No dogs, but hardly any fish either. We fished our way east and were on the trailer by 4. Temps were 68 at cat and 66 at the shoe. We are due for a good trip.

Anyways, everything ran great. AIS was sure nice with the 50 anchored and 25 drifting container ships out there. We went 85 miles on 25 gallons of fuel.

I got to try out my newest jig stick. Steve wrapped a 9E for me and I put a Tranx 500HG on it. Steve has a bulk spool of 65# rainbow-colored braid and I loaded up the reel to the top. For gay braid, that stuff casts a 100 gram Sniper a country mile.

Please please have those YFT below the 390 move just another 20 miles north before it’s over.

Last edited:

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    Steve and I took my sled to Cat Sunday. We stopped by a friendly Nacho and got a scoop. He said YT at the west end. We should have listened. We did our usual loop—East end, up the front side, shoe, then home. Well, the dogs had plans for us. EVERYWHERE we set up those bastards came, seemingly three at a time. They ate our bait, our chum and our released bass. We will be buying some powerful slingshots.
    I saw the captain of a charter slinging pellets of some kind with a slingshot at some seals... Been wondering if that's ok/legal. I've had a few times where there's a good bite and it shuts down because a handful of seals decide to crash the party.

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

outdorfan

Almost A Member
    Jun 28, 2005
    Tustin
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    Parker 2510 DV "Officina"
    We have found that a super hot pepper (like a ghost or carolina reaper) stuffed inside a dead sardine will deter even the most pesky of dogs. It has to be one of these super hot peppers so that the oil residue will linger in the dogs mouth after he finds out what just hit him and spits out the dean.

Typically once they grab the "stuffed" dean they will spit it out when they taste the heat and peppers like our local jalapenos and similar types will leave no oil residue or very little anyway to transfer the heat!!

Get a super hot pepper in a dogs mouth for even a second though and watch them go nuts trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

Guaranteed to make them loose their appetite for the rest of the day!!

Upvote 0

Bryantttt

• Jun 8, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Bryant
    Boat
    Bayliner Ciera 2252
    We have found that a super hot pepper (like a ghost or carolina reaper) stuffed inside a dead sardine will deter even the most pesky of dogs. It has to be one of these super hot peppers so that the oil residue will linger in the dogs mouth after he finds out what just hit him and spits out the dean.

Typically once they grab the "stuffed" dean they will spit it out when they taste the heat and peppers like our local jalapenos and similar types will leave no oil residue or very little anyway to transfer the heat!!

Get a super hot pepper in a dogs mouth for even a second though and watch them go nuts trying to figure out what the heck just happened.

Guaranteed to make them loose their appetite for the rest of the day!!
    How do you get rid of a pack of them? Lol

Upvote 0

tree3

Almost A Member
    Sep 3, 2012
    Alamitos Bay
    Name
    FL Jeff
    Boat
    Pathfinder 2400 TE
    Thank you for detailed report. On the Ghost pepper topic, wondering if that lingering pepper oil might deter fish from the area too…

Upvote 0

thatsharkguy

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Central California
    Name
    Karl
    Boat
    15ft Western Aluminum
    Non-lethal deterrence methods are legal to protect your “property” from sea lions in California. You can definitely argue that your leaders/hooked fish are your property and do what’s necessary to dissuade those pieces of shit, while also hurting the feelings of peta people. Win win.

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
    Aug 19, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Name
    Jonathan
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Thanks for the report. I always go over and over the decisions made on a trip that didn't blow my socks off. I would have gone that other way, or spent longer in that other zone, or blah blah blah. Lots to learn from the slower trips. Always learning.

I will make a couple comments on the yft though. There are fish around locally. Some of these fish are in pretty cold water to the west zones that are loaded with bait, both in the channel, and past it. Not often biting, but they do if you get lucky and get them at the right time.

The bite window has been very tide specific - like literally for 15-20 min right on the high or low tide. Which means you have to know where the fish are, and wait it out.

This has been the strangest start to the fall season for local yft and bft. The fish keep moving and moving, around and around. Only presenting on the tides.

But again, they are here. YFT and BFT. Around Catalina, East, West, Front and Back. My advice is go fishing, keep your eyes open, and get lucky....lol

Upvote 0

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
    OC
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    17' montauk "Anger Management"
    thanks for the invite kurt! seals or what ever you want to label them were frustrating.

they would also dive and pluck the bait off the dropper loop…. damn animals

Upvote 0