fly liner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
Launched from Davies around 630 picked up a half scoop of relatively large deans and headed to the island. Was greated with awesome weather for the crossing. Made it over to the island rite near two harbors got settled down relaxed for a short period and checked gear made a few drops with the colt ,buddy fished a flat fall. We each got a small bone and he got a little Chuck. Decided that we were settled enough and started heading towards Avalon metering around looking for life , stopped on several marks droping various jigs along the way. The night before I had aquired a variety of waypoints from the internet so while metering around I input 20 or so spots. We were a bit past Avalon a few sport boats sitting on the anchor. But Im not much for crowding boats so we continued on towards the quarry and found a area that was loaded with fish and decided to spend some time drifting that area. Dropping jigs and baits to no avail. Eventually Gail force showed up dropped the pick started chumming and hooking yellows. I continued to drift my same line over the ridge from about 150' into 35' and we were eventually rewarded with some yellows. After a bit boat after boat began to show up shortly after a panga decided to anchor up directly in my drift line. Which changed my game a bit it became difficult to keep my distance from Gail and not cut off the panga guys (who some how never ended up getting bit despite fish blowing up rite next to them) I don't really remember the water temp near the island. We stuck it out till around 230 at which point we now had 3 sport boats and 15-20 private boats, with some having little to no respect for the sport boats. The captain was even telling people, do not drift between me and the island. I don't care if you anchor off my bow, just do not go between me and the island. Some people..... We ended the day with 4 yellows on the boat. I got 2 on bait on a new to me Newell 229 with 25 lb fluoro and 1 on the surface plug. My buddy ended with 1 on 25 and lost 1 to a pulled hook because of some submerged kelp. It was a great well needed day of catching. Oh yeah so I figured out that you can sometimes bait and switch a dog from taking your yellow , one of my yellows on bait got spotted quickly by a big knot head. I had a small bucket of dead baits and told my buddy throw like 10 of them that actually kept him destracted for a bit while I got the fish up to color. Dog started to come towards the fish again threw a few more dead baits and it turned his attention again. I wasn't sure it would work, but it did this time , thankfully. Because it would have been game over on 25. The tide home was bumpy and a bit wet. But I did find water up to 68 mid channel.

Screenshot_20190610-000533_Gallery.jpg IMG_15841.jpg IMG_15911.jpg IMG_16051.jpg IMG_15801.jpg 20190609_185455.jpg 20190609_082217.jpg 20190609_081157.jpg

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Great report!

Another trick I have done when you see a dog charging your fish is to throw the reel in free spool and just keep enough pressure on the line to keep the hook lodged but you let the fish outswim the mammal. The way I look at it... what do you got to lose? They usually dart out into deeper water.

Have you started work on the Crystaliner yet? Can't wait to see a build thread on that.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Great report!

Another trick I have done when you see a dog charging your fish is to throw the reel in free spool and just keep enough pressure on the line to keep the hook lodged but you let the fish outswim the mammal. The way I look at it... what do you got to lose? They usually dart out into deeper water.

Have you started work on the Crystaliner yet? Can't wait to see a build thread on that.
No work on the boat yet per say. I did rebuild the fuel pump. No honestly, I just plain haven't had much free time. I'm working my job and trying to make time to work on the house out on the dog rescue property. The home is starting to come along we got it set memorial day weekend. I trenched for power and water, git my conduit and water line ran. This Saturday I got 3/4 of the aluminum lap siding striped and that portion of the home wrapped with tyvex. Perc. Test tomorrow so I can figure out what is needed for the septic system.

Boat wise. I have ordered and received my wire , heat shrink connectors, blues seas 8 switch rocker, blue seas fuse block/ground buss,and 1 new battery. I'm speaking with a fabricator that I know, about having a very basic outboard bracket built. In due time. Believe me I really want that boat on the water, especially after the bumpy ride home yesterday and it was a nice day for the crossing. but you know life has priority's

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt.C.Delany

splashy77

Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Yes sir

Reactions: fly liner

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
Awesome. Taking the 18 across! If you need any home advice, I build em.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Awesome. Taking the 18 across! If you need any home advice, I build em.
Ya I have taken the 18 across a couple of times. I'm just really picky about the days that I make the crossing.

You build the brackets?

beerman1

Jul 14, 2014
OC
Name
eric
Boat
triumph 17 CC
Great work and on the p229 too.. My go to reel for the last 30 years now.

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
Apr 22, 2013
Huntington Beach
Name
Mike
Boat
2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
Good job, nice tails. I hope the fish are still there next Monday, when I leave for my next Cat trip!

SemperFi75

Jun 13, 2017
San Pedro
Name
SemperFi75
Boat
Semper Fidos
:appl::daman: Talk about your bloody decks.

Smooth seas and tight lines … oh you already had that.:cheers:

eric m

Jul 8, 2016
huntington beach
Name
eric m
Boat
mojo
Hey flyliner if u need any brackets built or custom work done let me know... it’s what I do for a living. I am an aerospace fabricator welder. I just built my own stainless swimstep and railing for my own boat. Did the same thing for a buddies boat made some mounting systems for his electronics. Just let me know. It’s always fun do work on boats!!

GarytheCPA

Jun 13, 2011
Costa Mesa/California/USA
Name
Gary Craig
Boat
36 BHM
How is the mac situation around the island? I always try to fill my receiver with some mini macs if they are around the island. Thanks for the report.

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
I build houses and know about off grid stuff. Desert people.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
I build houses and know about off grid stuff. Desert people.
I working on a double wide mobile home.
It is all being permitted. I worked in the mobile home field for 6 or 7 years. Perc test didn't happen today rescheduled for tomorrow. Septic system after that.

Thanks though

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
How is the mac situation around the island? I always try to fill my receiver with some mini macs if they are around the island. Thanks for the report.
Not too sure. I didn't drop a sabiki. Tons of large smelt though.. just tried to upload a photo but it says it is too large. I pulled a smelt almost a foot long out of 1 of the yellows

Reactions: GarytheCPA

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Hey flyliner if u need any brackets built or custom work done let me know... it’s what I do for a living. I am an aerospace fabricator welder. I just built my own stainless swimstep and railing for my own boat. Did the same thing for a buddies boat made some mounting systems for his electronics. Just let me know. It’s always fun do work on boats!!

Thanks for the offer. If the fabricator I know falls through for some reason I will contact you. My guy is really cool and extremely reasonable price wise. I had him do a repair on my Klamath I unknowingly had a H shaped gash in the bottom of my hull,
( Bondo covered by the previous owner) about 8" long and 1” wide. I think he charged me like $50. I also had him weld 1 of the plugs in the same boat. He insisted on not charging me. I still gave him a couple of bucks.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
From the looks of it fish count wise they should be. But who knows they have tails and like to travel. Good luck to you though.I hope you get them.

Last edited: