El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
Headed over to cat to fish the west end for some yellows. Bait was great from nachos, and crossed over in 50 mins to arrive at 645am.

Tried rapalas, slow trolled sardines shallow, and slow trolled macs down deep with sliding egg sinkers stopped with a barrel swivel, leading to fluoro leader with 1/0 &2/0 hooks.

All this for nada. Moved around a bit looking for schools....saw a few and pretty much threw a ton of chum to get them up, along with mint and egg tadys.

All for nada.

Wind all of the sudden started howling around 10/1030.

The ride home took approx 2.5 hours, probably one of the worst crossings I’ve had in my 21 footer.

Planned on leaving cat around 1 so as to beat the wind, but I didn’t beat the wind or swell.

Atleast for me, the crossing was a mess, considering the heading needed to get back to HH.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
We went yesterday. Weather was beautiful, with an easy crossing both ways.

Fishing sucked... east end, super clear water and no current, west end lots of current but no life. Got some calicos, a butt and then these on the way to PV

748CA2CC-9636-4E34-8716-07D5D369D818.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
I don’t recall listening to so many pan pans today.

I hope the group on the 30 foot bayliner and the chaparral are ok.

Upvote 0

ctmfish

Almost A Member
Feb 2, 2010
Downey
Name
Cameron
Boat
Wellcraft V20
riding behind the catalina express seems to work for some, at least to get you into LA harbor and then ride the waves to HH. Good effort though! Conditions are getting better slowly.

Upvote 0

duckbutter6a

Florida man living in SoCal
Nov 15, 2014
El Cajon
Name
Hank
Boat
Dusky 17
I loved fishing cat when I lived in LA but making the ride home on a 17 foot cc was painful more often than not.

If i ever decide to tow up and fish cat again I will probably over night.

Upvote 0

El Chiva

Almost A Member
May 23, 2010
Hb, ca
Name
Nomad
Boat
Parker 2120 Nomad
I always try to work west to get a better ride home from Cat.Even with a bigger boat the last 12 mile always sucks.Tom
Yeah, totally agree.

I had a “2 stroke” oil issue which required me to dip into Avalon and pick up more yamalube.

We took a steady beam swell the whole way home.

I think it’s repower time. Great motor, no issues.

430 hours, I left the oil in the truck.....yes....lack of focus, and “Sunday” fishing got me.

Upvote 0