Islands Cat 5/15

DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
whittier
Name
Greg
Boat Name
16' starcraft
Ran over to Catalina this am bright and early with my son and friend. Picked up some squid from the carnage and headed around the east end to look for something that wanted to bite. Ran into patches of fog on our way around. Stopped on a few spots down to silver canyon. No lack of boats back there, but water was 58 degrees and after a couple hours we decided to go around the front side in search of some warmer water. Worked a few spots between Avalon and long point. Water was 62-63ish Good sign of fish but was hard to get them to bite. 1 decent bonito and a few calicos was the final tally. Crossings both ways were decent. Never the least good day on the water

Jul 22, 2021
SouthOC
Name
Steve
Boat Name
NONE
A slow day at Catalina is often better than a great day at work.

Things should start popping like corn over there pretty soon.

Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat Name
Sea Fox 248 Commander
Big fish on the front side.
Need to sit out the tide swings and put up with the calicos and Bonito, especially when you have live squid.
Some stable weather needed to really get the note going.
Thanks for reporting.
Let me know if you need any info. PM me

Upvote 0

FourBases

Aug 29, 2021
Fontana
Name
Noel Obero
Boat Name
Skipjack 25 Fisherman
Greg, Is that you on a Cortez 22 at sunset aquatic ? I’m the one asked how did you do.. Anyways, NO BAIT at Bills yesterday’ zero bait… good thing I brought my left over frozen sardines from last trip and went to 150 west and caught 6 big size Calicos 17-16”’s I scanned a school at 140 ft. using dead baits ..Lots of fog and could hear fog horns from incoming container ships thanks to Radar and AIS radio but still iffie scary.. can’t see anything around till 3 pm then run to Huntington Flats and its nothing out there scanned the pipelines from 50-90 ft . nothing…..

Upvote 0

DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
whittier
Name
Greg
Boat Name
16' starcraft
Greg, Is that you on a Cortez 22 at sunset aquatic ? I’m the one asked how did you do.. Anyways, NO BAIT at Bills yesterday’ zero bait… good thing I brought my left over frozen sardines from last trip and went to 150 west and caught 6 big size Calicos 17-16”’s I scanned a school at 140 ft. using dead baits ..Lots of fog and could hear fog horns from incoming container ships thanks to Radar and AIS radio but still iffie scary.. can’t see anything around till 3 pm then run to Huntington Flats and its nothing out there scanned the pipelines from 50-90 ft . nothing…..
No we were in my friends Pursuit CC. 6 calicos on dead bait doesnt sound too bad! nice work

Upvote 0

DesolateGreg

Jun 22, 2020
whittier
Name
Greg
Boat Name
16' starcraft
Big fish on the front side.
Need to sit out the tide swings and put up with the calicos and Bonito, especially when you have live squid.
Some stable weather needed to really get the note going.
Thanks for reporting.
Let me know if you need any info. PM me
I appreciate the info. We metered some good schools on the front side in about 90' of water but it was after the high tide and we couldnt get them to go. Got no reaction to chummed sardines, Tried putting dropper loop with live squid on their heads and yoyo iron. Nada Gonna give it a try again this weekend. I'll message you thanks

Upvote 0