Casualties in SD Bay :/

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Smellinfishi, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Smellinfishi

Smellinfishi Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    "Wet Willy"-18' curdy cabin
    So I hit SD bay last night on the bug hunt....was hoping to catch a couple....tide was alright...well, I started running a string and by the time I got my last conical dropped the tide was kickin' and my first buoys were getting dragged under. Long story short I'm down 3 nets. I spent some time getting gear together this year and thought for sure that I'd be able to keep all 10 this year...wrong! No love with the bugs either :/ anyway, It'd image.jpg image.jpg be pretty bitchin if someone on here picked them up and I could get them back. I've still got faith in humanity :)! I did go out this morning at 0430- low tide and look for the three lost nets to no avail. Major bummer thanks guys!

Matt Moyer likes this.
  2. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    I'm down a net also - this was a couple weeks ago. I have my contact info on the buoy but no luck. Some people just keep your stuff.

3. justin cardenas

justin cardenas Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    justin cardenas
    Boat:
    "Foul Hooker"
    I did happen to see someone pulling those yesterday hopefully they see this. If I remember it was a small walk around or cuddy.

4. Smellinfishi

Smellinfishi Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Really? High tide was around 11:10 and I just couldn't hang out all night on my little tin boat waiting for the tide to go out. I was back out at 4:30 this morning and found nothing. Low tide yesterday was a -1.2 and this morning was a +1.2, so that's 2.5 feet difference... Not in my favor.Spent about an hour looking at slack tide before I had to get to work. I was on an 18' bayrunner Baja "the panty dropper" with a blue t-top and was out of the water around 9:20 last night after giving up . Thanks to anyone for reading this and I hope that all the others out there that have lost traps have better luck than I!- I did see a striper, I think 18' that ran his string inside of me off the same rocks. South of the "danger rocks" sign labeled C. Maybe he picked them up for me, who knows?...

5. HUSKEY BAY

HUSKEY BAY Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    HUSKEY BAY
    lost 2 of 6 last time out. The 4 I saved all had shorts. Back to cheeseburgers for awhile. On a positive note, had a nice swim after prop got wrapped. Gotta love this sport!!

Nick the Greek likes this.
  6. sickcat

sickcat Silverback

Name:
    Kerry
    Boat:
    Yellow spot
    Hopefully you'll get your nets returned.

Not that it will make people more honest but a boat name and cell number on your buoys makes it a lot easier for people to do the right thing. Plenty of people don't spend time on the web so how are they going to get nets back to the owner?

cortezpirasea likes this.
  7. HUSKEY BAY

HUSKEY BAY Member

Name:
    ken
    Boat:
    HUSKEY BAY
    Yeah , I have contact info on my gear. Also, I autograph all the shorts!!!......so when they grow up next season...you'll all be calling me to return my bugs!!

8. Smellinfishi

Smellinfishi Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    Cheeseburgers it is! The thought had crossed my mind to put my # on them...but never in front of buoys with a pen in my hand...it seems I'm always scrambling to put things together when going fishing. Well, this was another expensive lesson learned!...I hope. I'll do the best I can to return nets to their owner anyway...

9. USMCfish

USMCfish USMC-FISH

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Tuna Can
    Sorry Jon, me and son Johnny will be out fishing bay and kelp in AM will keep eye out for your BUOYS bro!

Freddog!

10. brysonintercept

brysonintercept Newbie

Name:
    adam
    Boat:
    The Gracie
    Hey man I may be an oversight but your nets don't look weighed down at all. It helps a lot especially on fast tide movements. It may be your nets getting dragged away. I've dropped for 3 seasons now and never lost a net. Cheap but effective way is to simply buy some chain and cut short one-2ft on each side of each net

11. lobzila

lobzila Member

Name:
    e-man
    Boat:
    204 Angler
    I find hoop nets diving all the time. I leave them at the boat ramp as a general rule. Found two already this year with the float lines cut off five feet above the net. But I doubt yours drifted up to Oside harbor by now.

12. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Tough on you! Setting up your nets so nice and then losing them. It seems when the tide changes all the kelp gets caught on your buoy line and dragged down. Strange that in the morning you didn't find them. Did you search up and down the bay. I have found mine miles from where I lost them. Hopefully someone calls you with them.

13. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    This means some a-hole diver cut them on purpose, probably after taking the legal bugs out of the hoop.

Jhandyman likes this.
  14. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    you lost your nets on a 2.5' tide swing? sumthins smellinfishi. Were you ALWAYS in line-of-sight of them?

15. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Here's some tips for not losing hooping gear:

1) Use weight on your nets as mentioned above, 3 pounds minimum.
    2) Use 1/3 to 1/2 more rope than you think you need, to allow for some drifting, tide rises, etc. Of course using weights on the free end so the excess rope does not float.
    3) Have floats with a weighted bottom, so the top stays up, and use lights and reflective tape
    4) Put your vessel name, CF numbers and a phone number on them.
    5) Keep your nets in sight at all times. If you see one starting to go under (you can usually tell because the end of the float will be pointing straight up) go pull it and reset it.
    6) If you see a dive light moving underwater towards one of your nets, go over and pull it immediately.

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  16. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    I think he fished Wednesday night,a 6' + incoming tide.Not a good time to fish the bay.

Reel hip likes this.
  17. Reel hip

Reel hip Meet my "Well known Member"

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Agreed..... That bay can rip on the swing tides

18. Hangfire

Hangfire Member

Name:
    GW
    Boat:
    Glastron Seafury
    Heading out of Mission Bay early most mornings I see random hoop nets along the rocks all the time. Years ago I would pick the up, but now days I don't lobster, no card, don't want to have to explain why I have a hoop net on board without the proper paper work. It wouldn't hurt to put your phone number on the buoy and trap.

19. Fish Asassin

Fish Asassin one cast = one kill

Name:
    Fred Garvin
    Boat:
    U.S.S. Mobile (LKA 115)
    Maybe not such a good idea to set youre hoops in the narrowest shipping channel part of the bay. Pretty congested all the time with boat traffic. Just sayin'

20. Smellinfishi

Smellinfishi Newbie

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I'll definatly put my info on me buoys and weight me nets. I don't know why I havnt weighted them in the past. I kinda thought they were close enough to shore and lit well enough to be avoided by boats but there's always one guy that needs to drive right through wherever he wants to...guess I've got to prepare for the worst and hope for the best? I did run about a mile and a half along the island there in search the next day. It's about 36-38' of water all the way to the channels edge there. I'd be surprised if they were still there the next day and I missed them. Probably got scooped up by then. That 2.5' difference in tide was from the low just before I dropped nets to the low when I looked for them the next day. Anyhoo, thanks for the advice! I think we're all a bit wiser. At least I am. Some lucky or crooked skipper came up on a few decent rigs

image.jpg