Casting practice w/out license

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
WC
Name
Luis
Boat
none
If I go to a lake to practice casting and I don't have a license but remove the hook from the lure, is that technically still "illegal"?

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    But the casting is a prelude to fishing at SOME POINT right?

I'm not arguing the legality. I'm saying...why don't you have a license if you are so passionate that you'd go to a lake just to practice casting? Hell, put a damn line in the water while you cast with another rod.

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    I'm taking a couple of noobs down to Punta Mita in February to go fish with Lora. I will have them casting hookless Roberts Rangers and GT Ice Cream jigs until they get it right, before we go.
    Will they be paying $51.02 for CDFW licenses ? No effin way.

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
    WC
    Name
    Luis
    Boat
    none
    But the casting is a prelude to fishing at SOME POINT right?

I'm not arguing the legality. I'm saying...why don't you have a license if you are so passionate that you'd go to a lake just to practice casting? Hell, put a damn line in the water while you cast with another rod.
    I only get to go fishing 2 to 3 times in the summer so I don't have an annual license and thought about practicing during the spring months. Pretty new to conventional reels.

eric perez

stillapinhead
    Mar 3, 2018
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Name
    eric perez
    Boat
    no mas
    I got asked for my license one time on Newport Beach... teaching my son to throw iron... we both had Tady 45s tied on... not like we were "fishing" for anything from the beach with 45s... but The Man still insisted on seeing my license... we had no intention of catching anything... I pressed the issue and explained... but he ended with "youre still fishing"... LOL

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
    WC
    Name
    Luis
    Boat
    none
    You: I swear I was just practicing casting officer.
    Officer: Tell that to the judge.

But why the hell are you practicing casting without any intentions of going fishing? Is there some sort of casting olympics that I didn't know of?
    I only go fishing a few times during summer so I don't get a year's license. So I'd like to practice before setting foot on a boat.

Reactions: Dbado1

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
    WC
    Name
    Luis
    Boat
    none
    I got asked for my license one time on Newport Beach... teaching my son to throw iron... we both had Tady 45s tied on... not like we were "fishing" for anything from the beach with 45s... but The Man still insisted on seeing my license... we had no intention of catching anything... I pressed the issue and explained... but he ended with "youre still fishing"... LOL
    I was hoping the "no hook" part would make a difference.

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I use floating lures, surface poppers, with every hook removed. I go to a posted "No Fishing" lake in a Long Beach City park on Studebaker that has a hundred ducks and geese crapping in the scummy water. I am careful to cast away from the waterfowl, wouldn't want to disturb them (or the people who come to illegally feed them, who frown at me when I walk up.)

Make sure that you have NO fishing gear anywhere in your vehicle, no lures with hooks or anything else that might lead someone to think that you might possibly engage in the activity of fishing. "Fishing" is different from "casting," and as long as the activity of casting is not disturbing any birds or turtles or carp or anything, there is not a court in the land which will enforce a ticket. Before you go, look up the city official who controls the parks and remember his/her name. The one time that I was approached by a park officer I gave him a big smile as he approached and quickly assured him that I was only practicing casting, no hooks at all, and away from the waterfowl, and by the way Mr ------- told me that it was OK for a few minutes every now and then.

And that is how I do it, maybe ten minutes at a time, several times a month. I don't want to use a sinker or anything that will take my line down and disturb the bottom or maybe get snagged. De-hooked surface poppers are the way to go.

And Eric -- If your Tady 45 had hooks, I would have cited you too for not having a license.

Reactions: kbray001

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
    WC
    Name
    Luis
    Boat
    none
    I use floating lures, surface poppers, with every hook removed. I go to a posted "No Fishing" lake in a Long Beach City park on Studebaker that has a hundred ducks and geese crapping in the scummy water. I am careful to cast away from the waterfowl, wouldn't want to disturb them (or the people who come to illegally feed them, who frown at me when I walk up.)

Make sure that you have NO fishing gear anywhere in your vehicle, no lures with hooks or anything else that might lead someone to think that you might possibly engage in the activity of fishing. "Fishing" is different from "casting," and as long as the activity of casting is not disturbing any birds or turtles or carp or anything, there is not a court in the land which will enforce a ticket. Before you go, look up the city official who controls the parks and remember his/her name. The one time that I was approached by a park officer I gave him a big smile as he approached and quickly assured him that I was only practicing casting, no hooks at all, and away from the waterfowl, and by the way Mr ------- told me that it was OK for a few minutes every now and then.

And that is how I do it, maybe ten minutes at a time, several times a month. I don't want to use a sinker or anything that will take my line down and disturb the bottom or maybe get snagged. De-hooked surface poppers are the way to go.

And Eric -- If your Tady 45 had hooks, I would have cited you too for not having a license.
    Thanks for the info. I know people keep suggesting a park but I live close enougg to a regional park. And to tell the truth I am very close to a school but I feel rather silly been seeing there with a fishing rod.

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    24, Angler, All-In
    Thanks for the info. I know people keep suggesting a park but I live close enougg to a regional park. And to tell the truth I am very close to a school but I feel rather silly been seeing there with a fishing rod.
    Check your ego out at the door. No reason to feel silly.

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Forget the park idea. Too many kids dogs joggers etc. to deal with. It's better retrieving your line and jigs back through water than over grass. Spools up better for your next cast.

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
    WC
    Name
    Luis
    Boat
    none
    Just drive to a pier to practice casting. No license needed..who knows..you might hook a SUP or a stupid swimmer who thinks its cool to swim within 50 feet of the pilings...
    Too far from the coast just to go practice. I'll do the regional park that is a few miles away from home. I forgot to mention it has a lake.

Reactions: surfgoose

Newby1

Sep 4, 2013
    WC
    Name
    Luis
    Boat
    none
    Forget the park idea. Too many kids dogs joggers etc. to deal with. It's better retrieving your line and jigs back through water than over grass. Spools up better for your next cast.
    Sorry I didn't include the fact that the park has a lake. That's what I'm going to do