Dexter Outdoors

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
I was watching a guys on YouTube taking about long casting. He said he uses a casting cannon. Basically a release clip. First I ever heard of it. He also said he used a birthday candle to coat his guides. Sonething new to try..

Upvote 0

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
My gut is that i wouldn't be a good idea to coat guides with wax. Guides are manufactured to be as smooth and slippery as possible, but wax has a "tackiness" which will stick to and slow the line going through them.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Candle wax..... first sign of sun and a melted runny mess for sure. Almost ALL of the long distance casting records are set using the "figure 8" casting methods. You (might) be able to use this technique in the bow.... if your up there solo.... otherwise back to the "whip" technique we all use. Have seen it all.... including Ron Popiels model....lol. BUT you never know.... bring on the link showing that thing in action....

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Cast cannon is a good idea. Wax, eh not so much. The cannon is really nice when your throwing heavy heavy baits. But it is a pain to set up if you are casting a lot. I would just tape my finger if you are planning to use a cannon for lures.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    I use a Breakaway Cannon in Mexico to throw 3oz rangers and gt ice cream lures at Roosterfish on an 11ft spinning rod.
    3ft fluoro leader would mean having the braid under my casting finger and tear that finger up in a hurry. Legitimate 100 yard cast with 50lb braid. They work really well.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
    torrance, ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I use a Breakaway Cannon in Mexico to throw 3oz rangers and gt ice cream lures at Roosterfish on an 11ft spinning rod.
    3ft fluoro leader would mean having the braid under my casting finger and tear that finger up in a hurry. Legitimate 100 yard cast with 50lb braid. They work really well.
    Thanks. Was thinking of trying one for surface iron on SD boats.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Candle wax..... first sign of sun and a melted runny mess for sure. Almost ALL of the long distance casting records are set using the "figure 8" casting methods. You (might) be able to use this technique in the bow.... if your up there solo.... otherwise back to the "whip" technique we all use. Have seen it all.... including Ron Popiels model....lol. BUT you never know.... bring on the link showing that thing in action....
    One day down on the ridge in August that wax would be liquid,:shake: and all that liquid getting on spectra and in the morning when it's somewhat, You would have a bunch of Spectra glued together on your reel and you go to cast it out!😂

Upvote 0

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
    Jan 14, 2006
    Walnut Creek CA
    longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
    Name
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat
    Long Range and Private
    If you cannot throw a surface iron 60-70 yards with a 9' rod and a conventional reel, you seriously need to practice casting or use different gear. A 10' rod usually gets me another 10-15 yards depending on the conditions. I use a 210' mono top shot on spectra so I have a good idea how far I am throwing. If I used an 11' rod, I am confident I could cast over a 100 yards with a bit of practice. With a spinning reel, it should be much easier - so why the need for the little casting cannon contraption? Oh well, to each their own!

- Jeff Burroughs

Reactions: sierraed
    Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    Instead of the casting cannon, get a breathable pair of gloves with leather finger pads. I use bicycling gloves.

A good pair will run you $30, but they will protect your fingers when casting both spinners and conventionals.

With the leather padding, on spinners you can really load up the spectra on your index finger without cutting it, and you can control your cast on conventionals with your thumb without burning your skin off.

Bonus - sun protection for your hands ;)

Upvote 0

Latest posts