fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
Cali
Name
alby
Boat Name
None
The news says northern Baja has gone beyond the normal war zone between the cartel and Mexico officials...
Their saying the troops have come to Tijuana and rosarita and Ensenada en masse to control things but the kidnappings and violent attacks are rampant..
I know alot of guys head down there regularly but I can't find any recent threads about it..
They are telling Americans to shelter in place if there and not to travel to or through these areas if planning to do so..
Anyone been down there the last week or so and can give their view on the reported chaos?

Upvote 0

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat Name
The one on the fish
The news says northern Baja has gone beyond the normal war zone between the cartel and Mexico officials...
Their saying the troops have come to Tijuana and rosarita and Ensenada en masse to control things but the kidnappings and violent attacks are rampant..
I know alot of guys head down there regularly but I can't find any recent threads about it..
They are telling Americans to shelter in place if there and not to travel to or through these areas if planning to do so..
Anyone been down there the last week or so and can give their view on the reported chaos?

I live just north of Rosarito.

Friday evening was chaotic, but law enforcement had everything back to normal by midnight.

I laid low yesterday, and didn't leave the house. Traffic was very light on the toll road.

Crossed the border today, and everthing was normal.

I realize I live in a high crime area, but the violence is mostly targeted between cartels. Violence against gringos is pretty rare.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat Name
Yes
I quit going about 6 years ago. I really wish I could go back, but four things make that very unlikely anytime soon: 1) crime in Mexico is increasingly spilling over to non-drug involved people, 2) Covid -- if I get it, I don't want to be far from home, 3) the fish are here (yea! global warming), and 4) I bought a vacation house I would rather go to. But I do hope to return, with my boat, possibly to PV or La Paz or Loreto, but at least Ensenada, in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat Name
    several

THAT SUCKS but curious as to why on Fishing Chit Chat, not on Nonsense board? LOL
    All that shit going on is nonsense for sure.

Reactions: smokinwater
    Upvote 0

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat Name
    The one on the fish
    Don't hang out where the cartel is active.

They are actually just whacking poor humps standing in front of restaurants, that have zero to do with anything.
    While that has happened, it is very unlikely.

Dying in a car accident is far more likely.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat Name
    none
    Now that is about the most bull shit statement I have ever heard. I LIVE IN Arizona, a ********** state with legal rights to carry a gun. And we have some nasty crime areas too

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat Name
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Now that is about the most bull shit statement I have ever heard. I LIVE IN Arizona, a ********** state with legal rights to carry a gun. And we have some nasty crime areas too
    What do you disagree with? Can you carry in Mexico? No. Can you (then) defend yourself the same in Mexico? Crime happens when you least expect it. That is why you carry everywhere, not just "high crime neighborhoods". Many folks have CCW permits in Calif. too.

Upvote 0