Carlsbad Mystery Fish

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by 14TUNA, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 14TUNA

14TUNA Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    none
    Need you all to weigh-in on what you think was hooked and 'released'.....

Fishing Saturday 7/11 at Carlsbad, my buddy and I had been catching a handful of Bsp's on the incoming tide. we used a variety of artificials with most success coming from the abundant supply of sand crabs.Lot of weeds in the water made the day somewhat frustrating...but this was day for good friends and summer fun anyway..

Just after high tide, my gets a tap-tap, swings on it and has something really heavy. First thought is seaweed but than it pulls drag for about 10 yards and against the incoming waves leading us to believe it's a fish...the occasional thumping of the tail confirms it...

We fought it for over an hour on his light set-up that included freshly spooled 4lb P-line CXX and couldn't really move it. We would gain a little and it would slowly pull drag for a few yards as if it didn't know it was hooked. This thing never ran further out than the surfline and stayed within a 10 yard span left-to-right. No runs down the beach like a leopard shark might.

So my buddy finally says 'enough' and buttons down the drag. By now we have a small crowd and having took turns fighting it, I am just as amped to see it. Considering our set-up, I could tell this thing had some shoulders.

So, we horse it up to 3-4 feet of water and I go out rather tentatively to grap it and "PING", the leader broke between below the swivel :hali_parkutuli:. But at least the knot held.

So, I am thinking shovel nose or stingray but wondering if Halibut eat sand crabs? By the time I get to work tomorrow I'll be talking of the rogue seabass we had ;) but wanted educated guesses anyway....

2. carpetchef

carpetchef Newbie

Name:
    David Haddon
    Boat:
    any charter boat
    You're fishing the Pacific Ocean with "Four # Test" ? You deserve to lose your fish!

3. Bill A

Bill A Newbie

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    16 foot skiff
    Sounds like a ripple-back brown. Or maybe a one-eyed-blue-veined stick fish...........

4. 14TUNA

14TUNA Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for the insight oh master of the obvious. Yea, I told him you "ain't fishin power bait at Laguna Niguel", only this came after he was hooked up...

5. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    BabyRuth?................

6. 14TUNA

14TUNA Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    none
    Yea I know, trouser trout, spotted dookie fish, etc...Can't say I didn't expect to get verbally abused on this post. But, I was wondering if anyone had caught a butt on sand crabs before though I still feel the mystery fish was turd roller.

thanks guys

7. UnReel

UnReel Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Fishing for BSP, YFC, spotfin and corbs of the beach with 4# is standard LOL!!! Nothing wrong with fishing it. You aint fishing for yellows , cbass or tuna !!!

My bet would be SNGF and yes they eat sandcrabs. Personal best SNGF for me is a 52" model caught on a SC and 4lb test.

[​IMG]

8. carpetchef

carpetchef Newbie

Name:
    David Haddon
    Boat:
    any charter boat
    Sorry I was too tough with my first post.I learned a long time ago,the ocean is full of large fish and one needs to be prepared for the fish of a life time at any moment,that being said , there are spotfin croacer to ten pounds,Ive seen big white sea bass so close you could hit them on the head from the beach.Sargo.corvina,rays and yes butts will take sand crabs on occasion

9. 14TUNA

14TUNA Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    none
    Thanks for the feedback Unreel; that's quite a feat on 4#! we actually considered a SNGF. Since you fought that fight once before, how did it act during the battle?

10. hookem80

hookem80 Newbie

Name:
    Tom Gilmartin
    Boat:
    not yet
    My opinion is the fish you caught was a big sting ray or (bat ray)similiar fish, they suck down and you might as well give up with 4 pound test. I have done some beach fishing with 12 pound and get seriously spooled or we could not budge them. An oldtimer came by and said it was either a batray or stingray and they are strong swimmers and if you fight them hard they will suck in the sand so you cant move them and yes they will eat sand crabs.

11. UnReel

Name:
    Boat:
    Also, that 52" took 1 1/2 hrs to land. Caught a ton of them while sight fishing corbs in the skinny water the past few years, they're great to test your gear, line , knots on.

Bat rays will smoke you out to the horizon and zing pow you on 4#. Way to strong of a fish for 4#. They are very fast too. SNGF run slowly and work you up and down the beach and now and then you'll get a nice run from them but most of the time it's just slow steady presure and every once in a while the fish will just stop for a few seconds and then take off again. On 4# you need to keep the rod tip realy low to the sand or the edge of the sharks head will rub the line untill it fails. Keeping the rod tip low helps keep the line under the sharks head.

Also, you can get big spots on 4# no problem as well as sargo, corbina and all the other stuff in the surf. Below is a 26"er spot caught on a SC.
    [​IMG]

It's possible to hook a c-bass or butt from the surf on a SC but your chances are pretty slim and IMO not worth rigging heavy for as the heavier line will defenetly affect the bites from corbs or spots and other surf fish's.

Check the SC surf fishing board and you'll see more guys fishing UL rods and 4# line than anything else. Unless their casting swimbaits, crankbaits for butts off the beach or in the back bays or corvina (not corbina) in the harbors down in SD.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  12. fishn10s

fishn10s Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    none
    I was on this fish with 14Tuna. In most likely hood, it was a SNGF however deep inside, I feel that there was a chance that it was a halibut. The biggest halibut that I have caught was 25 lbs on 6# test and was in SD bay in about 30 feet of water. I was fishing with a AA curly tail grub. This fish I hooked in the Surf yesterday reacted quite similar. Granted one was in a boat in 30 feet of water and the other was in the surf. The halibut in SD bay was a pressure bite and certainly did not slam the grub. I felt a little pressure, set the hook and immediately felt weight. At first, I thought I had kelp with all the dead weight but then after a couple of minutes I could feel a definite tail beat every once in awhile thought the weight. Same with this fish in the surf. Just a little tap tap just like a perch, set the hook and then weight. I also thought I had sea weed but then observed that on occasion, as a swell was coming in, I could definitely feel the fish pulling drag out easily and slowly in the opposite direction, then the occasional tail thump. Another similarity between the 2 fish was that they both never made a significant run. Nothing more of just easily pulling drag and never more that about a 10-15 feet. Now when we got the halibut to the boat, he spooked and made a big run but that was the only time through the whole fight. This mystery fish also never made a big run. We got him within about 10-15 feet in the surf when the line broke just below the swivel. He also might have been spooked by a couple of people in the water but there was never a run, just ping and 1/2 oz sliding sinker came flying back at me and he was gone. I have caught some nice size SNGF and like UnReel stated, they will work you up and down the beach slowly with an ocassional nice run. Mystery fish never ran for more than about 15 feet and from where he was hooked moved about 10-15 yds down the beach either way. Now with what UnReel stated, with SNGF, you need to keep the rod tip low or your line will rub on the side of his head and break the line. Makes very good logical sense! To the contrary, 14Tuna and I kept the rod tip high trying to use the flex in the rod to protect the 4# line from breaking but still putting some good pressure on the fish. I put light pressure on the fish by gently thumbing the spool just to gain some ground on the fish. Not more that what I though 4lb test and the flex in my rod could handle. Now I have never caught a halibut on a sand crab. If some of you out there like carpetchef have caught halibut on sand crabs, I am more leaning to guessing that we had a nice halibut. This is the only good thing about losing a nice fish you get to come up with all kinds of conclusions as to size and species. Thanks in advance for any input!

13. theclayishone

theclayishone theclayishone

Name:
    Clayton
    Boat:
    none
    I'd say Shovelnose but who knows. Crazy things happen in that ocean.

14. UnReel

Name:
    Boat:
    Discription of the hookset and fight sounds just like a SNGF. The fact the line broke just below the swivel makes it even more likely to be one as thats where the edge of the head would be rubbing on the line if it was a big one. Still sucks to lose a big fish before you see it, regardless of the species. The one that got away is what keeps you going back for more !! Good luck next time !!

B

15. Boatsoda_Ed

Boatsoda_Ed Boatsoda_ed

Name:
    ed
    Boat:
    none
    every now and then a striper comes in to the area. I know its rare . they eat everything
    too.
    light pressure of a 4# rig could be a simple incovenience to the lug while he looked for more snacks, button the drag woke him up
    the rest is history
    moral of the story
    be patient and breath through yer nose.
    peace

16. Dane101

Dane101 Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    moneypit
    I've hit areas so thick with SNGF or Lepords, that i had to move a mile to get away from the dam things.Even on 15lb p-line they are a battle when they get over 4 foot.

17. krucz36

krucz36 Newbie

Name:
    garth
    Boat:
    CoinOp2
    won't a 'but give you a bit of a headshake if hooked clean?

i had a leopard foul-hooked once in the surf that gave me a really hard pull, but very little up-and-down the beach action. foul-hooking often results in something weird-feeling