Caribbean line question

Discussion in 'Surf Fishing Reports' started by David Lawson, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. David Lawson

David Lawson DBonecrusher

Name:
    Pendleton
    Boat:
    John
    Hello all!
    I am headed to the Caribbean in a few weeks and I will be reef fishing from shore every day for two weeks. It’s not really surf fishing because there’s technically no surf. I’ll be structure fishing around coral heads and from a kayak. I’ll be using mostly squid and cut bait I may throw lure here and there. My question is I have a Diawa BG 4000 that I can run 280 yards of 30lb braid on with a flora leader or just 12-14lb mono to save myself any hassle. I want to run braid but I know that it does require some finesse in handling. What are your thoughts?

2. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I think you want something easy to break at the terminal end, rocks and coral will eat some sinkers :)

Also depending on where you are you probably don’t want to eat any reef fish out there. Ciguatera.

3. David Lawson

David Lawson DBonecrusher

Name:
    Pendleton
    Boat:
    John
    Thank you! I think I’m just going to run a mile of 12lb mono for the ease of it. I’ll be in the Out islands in the Bahama’s and when we’ve been there in the past everything I’ve caught the locals have asked me “did you eat it”? So I don’t think the ciguatera is bad. Last summer I watched a guy cleaning a massive barracuda and asked him if he worried about the virus and he just laughed so I feel pretty safe eating a trigger or two.

4. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    Cool. Didn’t even know there was reef in the Bahama’s, thought it was all sand ;)