tunacraze

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 27, 2006
Santee
Name
Steve Brunton
Boat
The Big Ones
Gantry cranes are not designed for those kind of lifts. So, you pull the stacks back to their original positions and lift them off? What do you do with the smashed ones? The ones hanging off the side? That's a big ass mobile crane for that!

On a side note, I'd like to see the video from the bridge when that happened! That's a rouge wave in the trough. That boat was leaning hard!

Reactions: 4crystaldawn

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Wonder how they decide which guy climbs those stacks to attach cables to lift those things. What a mess. Cut one cable and the whole stack comes down

4crystaldawn

ShipShapeNTightShip
Dec 5, 2020
Los Angeles
Name
Crystal Dawn
Boat
Tollycraft
Rigging engineer ...of 12 years here.
A SHIT TON OF IWRC WIRE ROPE CABLE AND MASSIVE CRANES NYLON SLINGS AND SOME FOOLS THAT KNOW HOW TO USE THEM , that's what gets them back in stacked position...but how much of the ocean floor is covered with container ship box's ...
Maybe the mermaids and mermen use them for sustainable living houses and the housing market is going crazy down there .....

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Anyone remember the container ship the drive up on the beach in Ensenada about 10+ years ago. It was a really high tide and I think was during a storm. We stopped and took pictures on our way south.

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Loss of containers at sea is surprisingly common. Many containers fill with water till there's a small air pocket on the end away from the door. This air pocket provides just enough buoyancy to float the container right under the surface where it can't be detected by radar. A surprisingly well documented phenomenon. Something to think about on your next offshore night run....

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Looking at all those containers got me thinking about all the trucks that wont be driving up the 605 and 710 freeways.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
It must have been a wee bit nautical out .
You bet! Imagine the weather to toss a 1,200 ft ship around.

I like it sporty but cmon :p

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
China accepts our cash in exchange for our recyclables.

They complained that lazy Americans do not segregate our trash from our recyclables well enough.

Probably much cheaper to dump it in the middle of the ocean, right?

openclass

Slam
May 28, 2009
Fairfield/Bodega Bay
Name
Rick
Boat
Parker 2820 & 26' Farallon Whaleback
90 containers of hazardous waste missing.....there goes a weeks worth of meth ingredients to the bottom. Watch crime take a brief lull. The next shipment is probably almost here.

Reactions: One_Leg and RodRage