cardiff 200 upgrade for saltwater?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by steelfish, Apr 27, 2009.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I've just bought a Cardiff 200 (previus model not new A or B model) at half price in a closing store event, so far I haven't event put it on a rod yet but it feels very solid and smooth, i really like it, it feels like my saltist 20H but smaller of course, the facts are that 90% of my fishing time is on saltwater but in few occasions I going freshwater after bigmouth bass.
    so, if I want to use it in saltwater what kind of upgrades I need to do to it in order to use it with no worries looking for calicos, sand bass, triggerfish, seabass on surf fishing?
    or, will be enough with just washed it in warm freshwater and oil it after every saltwater use?

Note: model 200A is the one that already has AR-Ballbearings, model 200 has stainless steel ballbearings

2. Jighead

Jighead .........................

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Hoe
    It shouldn't need and upgrades out of the box, but maybe new bearings and drags down the road. Just clean it with freshwater good and it should hold up.

3. BigHammerKing

BigHammerKing Newbie

Name:
    Heva
    Boat:
    18' Town Car
    i agree with Bryan, also take it apart every few trips or so to oil the bearings and just to check for corrosion. if you see a lot of salt build up or gunk, clean and re grease it.

4. Stanley

Stanley Pro Boat Scrubber

Name:
    Spooker
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
    What they said...it's already a saltwater reel that just needs to be taken care of.

5. dockboy

dockboy Turn the handle Randall!

Name:
    Chris Rhoden
    Boat:
    14' Valco, Plan B
    It will do fine as is with good care. I love my Cardiffs. They are my freshwater and saltwater swimbait reels of choice. Well priced, and durable. The 200 size is great for 12lb, 10lb if you wish. I prefer a 100 size for 8-10lb.

I upgrade mine cuz Im paranoid about drags lol. I use the Carbontex upgrades, and on my 300 & 400 Cardiffs I install the Calcutta live bait handle, which I like more. On a 200, Im not concerned for power like with the 15-25lb I fish on the 300-400.

You could upgrade the bearings to something more corrossion resistant, there are plently of good kits. Or you fish it till the bearings need replacing and then upgrade, its your call. Either way, the reel will fish just fine. tight lines :)

6. Shaka760

Shaka760 Member

Name:
    Craig Taylor
    Boat:
    2007 Nitro 482
    Going against all the old maintenence tips, but simply spray the reel down with a spray bottle after each use(no hose, and NEVER completely submerge in fresh water!!). This is directly from the Shimano rep. I love my 200 and have caught 25# Yellows at Todos Santos on 12#. Just pull the sideplates off every few months and check the bearings/dogs/ect. Do not overgrease and you should be fine. IMHO these are the highest quality reels you can buy for the price!!

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks BD friends for your comments, now I more than just happy with this reel, after read your comments I think I will just use it the way it is out of the box and take a good care of it, after all I have some experience on maintenance on reels like my saltist 20H, saltist 30Th and some abus.

but this comment of Shaka brings me another question, since there are a lot of different opinions on how to clean your reel after every saltwater use.
    what kind of method do you use after every saltwater use?
    some use to hose the reel with no pressure, some use to submerge the reel in warm freshwater to dilute salt, some use to close tight the star drag before clean it with freshwater and let it loose after clean it up, and this new (for me) method of just clean it with spray bottle sounds logic and super easy did you oil it again every single occasion or just eventually Shaka?
    Im kind of new in reels of more than $100 dlls (used to have only penn 113, penn 500 and somes 501 :o), and I know maintenance is the key to keep them longer and ready to figh "the monsters of the deep" that we always dream to catch one day.

BTW I planing on use a backing of 20lb braid and a long topleader of 14lb or is too high?

8. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
  9. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    :worship:

that's what I need it, mi amigo Alan

regards from baja

10. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    ok last question

is it any power handle that can fit cardiff 200? maybe calcutta or any other cheaper?

I really like the way my abu 6500 looks and feels with a new power handle, so I was thinking to put one on the Cardiff, but calcutta handle at $39.99 looks too expensive to me, any recommendations?