Carb Rebuilder in SoCal and/or treatment?

peakay

Jun 27, 2016
Hewport Harbor, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
1990 Tiara 2700 Open
Hi there,

We have an older Tiara with twin small block Mercruisers on the original carbs and they are starting to have issues.

Is there a consensus on where to take carbs for rebuild in Socal/OC? We have 2 4 barrel Rochesters. Our mechanic said the place in Fullerton, which seems to be J&J, but they have some bad feeback on Yelp. He said the place in Santa Ana is not reliable. There is a place with good feedback in HB, but they are a hit rod shop and charge 450/carb, which seems excessive.

Alternatively or while we sort this out, any recommended fuel or carb treatments? Seafoam?

Thanks!

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
This is a long shot...... but back when I had my old dodge with a 440 it needed a carb rebuild so instead I bought a brand new edelbrock that worked great. Can you just replace the carbs?

Reactions: Capt.C.Delany
Upvote 0

pete j

Mar 17, 2012
lompoc ca usa
Name
pete
Boat
Slayliner
I havent use seafoam but I have used berrymans which is the same just a better deal. It has worked wonders on every motor I have used it on
Sorry cant help with carb rebuild but seafoam or berrymans couldnt hurt

Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
Did you try the Carb shop in Ontario? Honestly none of the stabilizer works for ca fuel..it's the additives in the fuel that screw stuff up...

Reactions: marlyn
Upvote 0

MarineDieselDr.

Almost A Member
May 18, 2013
NPB
Name
Erik
Boat
24 Bimini Marine CC
Not true on the stabilizers. We've had great success with Rev X fuel treatment.
On the carbs. Talk with your mechanic and see about buying new carbs. It the best option.

Upvote 0

peakay

Jun 27, 2016
Hewport Harbor, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
1990 Tiara 2700 Open
This is a long shot...... but back when I had my old dodge with a 440 it needed a carb rebuild so instead I bought a brand new edelbrock that worked great. Can you just replace the carbs?

Thanks. I like oem and looks like the edelbrock 1409s are going for around 510 apiece vs 250 for a carb rebuild, so going to stay original. I do read good things about those 1409s though.

I havent use seafoam but I have used berrymans which is the same just a better deal. It has worked wonders on every motor I have used it on
Sorry cant help with carb rebuild but seafoam or berrymans couldnt hurt

Thanks. I think I am going to treat the gas first and keep running it to see how it goes before pulling them off. Looks like berrymans might be better as an additiive, seafoam more for direct combustion treatment. All probably snake oil, but going to try berrymans in the fuel and see what happens.

Reactions: pete j

clelandracing

The Masterbaiter
Jul 11, 2010
Colton, California USA
Name
Shane
Boat
Bayliner 2655 sunbridge, Skipjack 25
it will be a drive, but i cant say enough positive about Express Carburetor. 909-887-5310
he has done both of my boats, my brother in laws boat, and my 71 chevy. i just took my carb there 2 days ago because it was having issues with the new gas etc. had it back a few hours later looking like new.

Upvote 0

mischief1

Jun 30, 2008
Canyon Country CA
Name
Dennis
Boat
24 Skipjack "Catchit"
Hi there,

We have an older Tiara with twin small block Mercruisers on the original carbs and they are starting to have issues.

Is there a consensus on where to take carbs for rebuild in Socal/OC? We have 2 4 barrel Rochesters. Our mechanic said the place in Fullerton, which seems to be J&J, but they have some bad feeback on Yelp. He said the place in Santa Ana is not reliable. There is a place with good feedback in HB, but they are a hit rod shop and charge 450/carb, which seems excessive.

Alternatively or while we sort this out, any recommended fuel or carb treatments? Seafoam?

Thanks!
You can get remanufactured 1409 Edelbrock marine carb at Sumit Racing for a good price. Get rid of those Q Jet cabs. You be happy with the fuel savings safety and reliability. There easy to tune and rebuild your self.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
The E carb wont fit on a QJ intake without a adapter and wont perform as good as the QJ without a intake change.Also QJs out mileage a E AFB style carb.Tom

Upvote 0