Captains Maiden Voyage channel islands– Covid Win (Long Post)

PENN

swavings

May 30, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Scott Swaving
Boat
Cobia
You're off to a great start, keep in mind what the two best days are of boat ownership are.

Also, kudos for having the balls to say "I was that guy" at the ramp, so many who are "that guy" year after year rarely cop to it.

p.s. I have sucked at fillet skills for much longer than you so I win !

Thanks for the story. I have to say, I am not on here to be cool. LOL trying to learn as much as I can.

Upvote 0

swavings

May 30, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Scott Swaving
Boat
Cobia
Congratulations on your first boat...and a nice looking boat as well !! Enjoyed reading your story !. I'm still laughing at your boats first fish !! Lol

I'm still on the hunt for my first ever boat. How do you like that 2 stroke?? I almost bought a boat with a 2 stroke until he said he gets about 1 mile per gallon

I have only had the boat for a few months, and only have taking it out for the first time on a real run. With that said, I love the engine. With the two-stroke, there is a separate oil tank, that I just fill and top off as needed, and just be diligent about adding fuel stabilizer, etc.

It does have like 7 pumps throughout the engine which need to be replaced often.

As far as gas, I have a 100 gallon tank and trying to figure out what my MPG is. I went out of channel islands, when to the arch, then to smugglers, then to yellow banks, went further down Santa Rosa before turning around and then went to the last oil rig. On the way back, I ended up closer to ventura harbor, versus channel islands so that took a bit longer.

I was excited, probably the only time, to fill up the tank to see how much gas I used. Not sure the run, I need to look that up, but only used 42 gallons of gas.

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 24, 2004
SD
Name
Bryan Z
Boat
36' Hatteras
Don't want to use the "quote" and repost all you pictures, but that looks amazing! Well done

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Newbies frequently forget to store the boat with outboards in the full down position. This protects the hydraulic pump rods from dirt and corrosion, which results in leaking seals and no up/down engine movement one fine day at the launch ramp....and, and,......

Upvote 0

swavings

May 30, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Scott Swaving
Boat
Cobia
Newbies frequently forget to store the boat with outboards in the full down position. This protects the hydraulic pump rods from dirt and corrosion, which results in leaking seals and no up/down engine movement one fine day at the launch ramp....and, and,......

LB bob, are you saying that I should put the outboard to the down position as if I was in the water?

Upvote 0

Sea Pro Pete

Nov 20, 2011
north county
Name
Pedro Adobe
Boat
Good conversation to pass on hard learned advice.My 2 cents,recently learned that my 04 F150 4 stroke Yamaha was not made for fuel with ethanol. Ethanol caries water in solution ,not letting it separate and fall to the bottom of filters. Fuel with ethanol will cause aluminum fuel system parts to rust into oxide,a white powder,that will clog filters.Aluminum fuel tanks add to the problem. The filters in the Yamaha are 2 micron,the Yamaha blue fuel filters {normally installed before the motor} are 10 micron therefore passing stuff to clog the fuel system. Racor makes a 2 micron filter that will spin onto a Yamaha filter base, and yamaha sells ring free and fuel stabilizer to address these problems. I think that 200 has a lot of filters too. Can tell you will learn fast and that will make you safer.My brother had 2 of those motors with fuel filter problems,maybe the third filter deep in the motor. Increase your filtering and fuel quality! Good luck out there!

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    FYI, The Fish you caught are probably the tasteiest of the other rock cods. If you ever catch and keep Boccaccio's I would pitch them and only keep the Reds/Vermillion . There not that good and usually have a lot of worms in the meat.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Excellent post. Welcome to the boating and fishing world. Regarding your engine, keep the gas clean and fresh. I think your engine is an HPDI, and they are good, but really need clean gas. Run it often , even on the trailer with muffs, and keep that gas clean ( no water intrusion and no dirt) and fresh.
    Make sure you also put 2 (two) fuel and water seperators before the engine, If you don't already have them. Get the one's with a clear bowl on the bottom of the filter with a drain plug that drains the water it accumulates. That will save your ass one day while on the water.

Upvote 0