Captains Maiden Voyage channel islands– Covid Win (Long Post)

PENN

swavings

May 30, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Name
Scott Swaving
Boat
Cobia
I have loved fishing for a very long time, and would often try to hitch a ready with a friend or friend of a friend or book a trip on one of the local cattle boats. (Local is Ventura County). When COVID first affected the majority of us with lockdowns, I got the itch to purchase my first boat. Being a rookie captain, I needed to find something that was affordable, and of course, safe as I look forward to taking the family out on the water.

After months of research and looking for the right boat, I finally found my purchase. Back to that later! I searched high and low of California, as I was willing to take a drive to find the right boat. Considerations – Old 28 ft Bertram on BD that needed to be restored, there was a 21 ft 1996 Grady white out of SD, went to look at a 21-foot parker. All of them seemed like good deals, but there was always something a bit off. Being a first-time boat buyer, I was not 100% confident in what I needed to look at. I considered Hull type, engine, outboard, electronics, and comfort.

Back to my first boat purchase: 2004 23Ft Cobia Deep V – 200hp Yamaha OB 2 Stroke with only 400 hours. Pictures below – This was my first picture as I was bringing her home.
Boat Pic.jpg

This is where being a boat owner is FUN. B.O.A.T – Break out another Thousand. I just learned about this acronym.

I took it to Pacific Marine repair in Oxnard (Highly recommend), and then did my first 100-hour service and sure enough, get the dreaded call from the repair shop. “I can't get the prop off” “Your propeller shaft is bent” About a week or two later, I have my boat and ready to hit the water for my first time.

I took it out the weekend of May 16th, with the wife, to just put around the harbor and get used to the boat before I took it to the local islands. (Anacapa, Santa Rosa, etc.) So far, at this point, the harbor cruise was amazing, the boat ran great, and not to mention all the BOAT WAVES from other boaters, I didn’t realize that you wave as you past other boaters, that was fun! Its time to get the boat out of the water… At this point, my first boat launch, and everything was going smoothly. (BESIDES PARKING! I couldn’t for the life of me, get the truck and trailer parked into 1 stall!!! I ended up taking two spots. SORRY!

The fun is just beginning.

I am waiting in line to take the boat out of the water as there was some traffic at the launch ramps. While waiting, I put the boat in neutral/idle and the engine died. PANIC kicked in, tried to restart, nothing. SHIT. Put the battery switch to both batteries, thinking it was the batteries and again would not start. Panic is really starting to kick in… I started it with a little juice to the engine and sure enough, she started right back up. I just needed to give it a little throttle.

Once I got the boat on the trailer, I noticed that the boat was not on the trailer to my liking, but ending up using the wench to ratchet the boat into the right spot. As I was pulling the boat out of the water, a big BOOM, SNAP, my trailer strap broke… Multiple people come over and ask if everything is ok, one guy said, I was praying your boat didn’t fall off the trailer!!! OMG, didn’t even think about something to that magnitude. I was able to secure the boat to get it home and then redid the strap. However, I was more disappointed with my idle issue.

I called my friends at pacific marine and we discussed the issues. Come to find out that this Yamaha 200 2 stroke has about 7 different pumps that happen to go out fairly often. Just part of the maintenance to consider. Got the boat back on Friday 29th all-new pumps. Time for the Maiden Voyage.

SAT 5/30/2020

Beautiful Weather conditions. Plan to leave the house at 445am get to the ramp by 530 and at the grounds by 630-7.

Fishing partner, who happens to be my best friend does not show up until 5:15 am – already late on my first trip.

Get to the ramp, and launch with success! The boat starts right up, head to Ciscos for some bait. Anchovies, super small. I think you salty guys call them pinheads.

Water and Anacapa.jpg

On an absolutely flat day, we get to the arch around 745-8 and look around for some marks, didn’t see much, but still decided to get our bait in the water! About 85 feet deep, water was 62 with a decent current. NOTHING.

After about an hour, we decide to run the backside of Anacapa to smugglers and then to yellow banks. We saw some other boats but didn’t see much action, and of course, being my first time, the thought of a skunk was real. Still Nothing.

Tried multiple offerings at different depths, but still didn’t see much action. At this point, it's around 1130 and my friend asks. "What are the chances that we get fish today. 20%, 50% - 0%". By this time, I have given the good ole captain phrase. “I know a Spot”! To be honest, this was my third time saying that, but I did have a plan in my back pocket. :)

Oil Rig – On my way home, I went to a spot that I have caught rockfish every single time. It took us a bit to get there. Find our spot, and we both drop. BOOM, both on. Check out the first fish I ever landed on this boat:
First Fish on Boat.jpg

My friend, lands the second fish of the boat, his first saltwater fish, and it was smaller than mine! HAHAHA His smile says it all though.
Ryans first fish.jpg

Captain (me) says we landed some fish, and didn’t get skunked. After about an hour, we ended up with 15 quality Boccaccio rock fish.
First Haul.JPG

Filleting is much easier then it looks
Do the crime, pay the time.jpg

MY BACK!
My back.jpg

My next skill to master is tying hooks, weights, and lines together while on the water. It is much easier to get set up in your living room.

BTW. zero engine issues and was excited to have the engine perform the way they should!

TIGHT LINES AND STAY SAFE

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Brother..... first of all, congratulations. I didn't say that sarcastically. While reading.your.post.....I laughed thinking of the many others I've seen over the years have the same "issues". For years we had our boat trailered at the Newport Dunes. It's proximity to the launch ramp made for some hilarious and interesting observations. Many an afternoon or evening was spent enjoying a beer. ... While watching "the show"....lol.

Don't feel alone.... many whom would never admit it .... have done the same things. Just the steep learning curve of private boat ownership. It seems from that story. ...your on your way for sure.

I applaud you brother for your "brutal honesty" here.... along with the picts. Great post.

Be safe out there.

Reactions: bricktop27
    Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
    LA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    Yup. Reds. Nice job. Great read.

Way to break in your boat with that monster fish. Your buddy's looked bigger though.

Awesome boat!

Upvote 0

clevel

Skipper
  • Jun 4, 2011
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Cabo Jack
    Boat
    Cobia 261
    Welcome to the boat owners club! Give a visit to Cobia Boat Owners Group and Yamaha Outboard Owners Group on Facebook. A lot of info and entertainment when not on the water. Glad you quickly graduated from your microscopic catch to fish taco plate. Wishing you safe boating!

Upvote 0

I hate seals

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 24, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Bryan Z
    Boat
    36' Hatteras
    Nice score. One thing, I can't tell 100% from that picture, but it looks like those fillets don't have the skin fully attached. which you need to do per F&G regs. All I see is a pile of fillet. If I'm wrong, sorry, just don't want ya to get a ticket or 30. One for each fillet.

Upvote 0

Charles Fike

Almost A Member
    Apr 13, 2019
    Newbury Park
    Name
    Charles Fike
    Boat
    24’ Skipjack Flybridge (Bella B)
    Nice job man!! Quality haul!!
    Im pretty sure I was the guy at the launch that said I was glad your boat didn't slide off the trailer. I've seen it a few times. When your strap snapped I noticed a lot of water being shot out of your bilge. Any reason there is that much in there?

Glad you are getting it all dialed in. See you on the water.

swavings

May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat
    Cobia
    Do you have side bunks on your trailer? If not I highly recommend them.
    I had to look up side bunks. I do not have them. The trailer was built in 2016 specifically for the boat. But after looking it up and towing it now a number of times. I can see how it would help, and also help putting it back on the trailer.

thanks for the suggestion

Reactions: mike mitchell
    Upvote 0

swavings

May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat
    Cobia
    Nice score. One thing, I can't tell 100% from that picture, but it looks like those fillets don't have the skin fully attached. which you need to do per F&G regs. All I see is a pile of fillet. If I'm wrong, sorry, just don't want ya to get a ticket or 30. One for each fillet.

thanks for the note. My fillet skills are so poor, I actually left the skin on completely the other side. Went home to do a more precise fillet. Eeks. Dinner pics to come tonight

Reactions: I hate seals
    Upvote 0

swavings

May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat
    Cobia
    Nice job man!! Quality haul!!
    Im pretty sure I was the guy at the launch that said I was glad your boat didn't slide off the trailer. I've seen it a few times. When your strap snapped I noticed a lot of water being shot out of your bilge. Any reason there is that much in there?

Glad you are getting it all dialed in. See you on the water.
    I’m sure it was you. Glad to see you on here. I noticed that as well pulling out. I didn’t have my bait tank fully drained and that was a lot of that water.

much smoother second time around!

PS, thanks for talking at the launch ramp. Any insight is much appreciated.

Reactions: Charles Fike
    Upvote 0

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
    Aug 11, 2010
    Covina, Ca.
    Name
    Dean
    Boat
    1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
    You're off to a great start, keep in mind what the two best days are of boat ownership are.

Also, kudos for having the balls to say "I was that guy" at the ramp, so many who are "that guy" year after year rarely cop to it.

p.s. I have sucked at fillet skills for much longer than you so I win !

Upvote 0

Allen Rice

Cranefish
    May 21, 2019
    West covina
    Name
    Allen Rice
    Boat
    N/A
    Congratulations on your first boat...and a nice looking boat as well !! Enjoyed reading your story !. I'm still laughing at your boats first fish !! Lol

I'm still on the hunt for my first ever boat. How do you like that 2 stroke?? I almost bought a boat with a 2 stroke until he said he gets about 1 mile per gallon

Upvote 0

efx

Almost A Member
    Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    Excellent post. Welcome to the boating and fishing world. Regarding your engine, keep the gas clean and fresh. I think your engine is an HPDI, and they are good, but really need clean gas. Run it often , even on the trailer with muffs, and keep that gas clean ( no water intrusion and no dirt) and fresh.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

swavings

May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat
    Cobia
    Stoked for you man. If you would like some help learning the local spots and how to run your boat, hit me up. I know Channel Islands fairly well and would be happy to help.

Hey there HP, I would love to take you up on that offer. I have a couple of friends that I can fish with, but its tuff being the most experienced one. Lets get on the water! Hit me up.

Upvote 0

swavings

May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat
    Cobia
    The final post of the first voyage has to be the dinner. I reviewed all the recipes for some beer batter fish and came across this chipotle beer batter from the food network. SOOO AMAZING.

Please Note that my fish NEVER touch freshwater. Everything was cleaned using the salt water and then I threw all the fish in the bag skin complete on the other side.

I went home and attempted to fillet the fish again, I ended up cutting each fillet in half and came out beautifully.
    IMG_1203.jpg

Next up, getting the batter and the mixture together. Chipotle peppers with eggs, then add the beer and then overall liquid mixture to the flour mixture.
    IMG_1206.jpg

Ready for the Drop.. This time for the oil - not the rig.
    IMG_1208.jpg

In the drink:
    IMG_1209.jpg

After about 2 to 3 minutes on each side:
    IMG_1211.jpg

ANd time for the good stuff. When I got home with the fish, I asked the wife to whip some sauce and fixings for our tacos.

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Upvote 0