Captain Steve’s Fishing lodge

HiFishah

Oct 2, 2019
Hawaii
Name
HiFishah
Boat
Wa’a
Anyone got any reviews of Captain Steve’s Fishing Lodge in Ninilchik? Looking at a trip this summer. Pics looks like lots of good size Hali’s and bottom dwellers.

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
Anyone got any reviews of Captain Steve’s Fishing Lodge in Ninilchik? Looking at a trip this summer. Pics looks like lots of good size Hali’s and bottom dwellers.
excellent operation, beautiful lodge. beach launch out of Ninilchik usually. get a weather window and go for ginormous lingcod. he has a mount of one @85lbs he brings to the fred hall show. fly to anchorage or homer.

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
I knew Steve & his dad from 40 years ago. He & his whole family are fish killers. I mean, the real deal fish killers. Not pretend fish killers on a glossy brochure. Go for it.

HiFishah

Oct 2, 2019
Hawaii
Name
HiFishah
Boat
Wa’a
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a top notch operation.

What’s the best way to get to Ninilchik/Homer after flying into ANC? Fly down or drive down? Would be cool to drive down as I’ve heard it’s a nice drive but hate to have the rental car sit for basically a week. Also, on the return, hopefully we’ll have some fish to bring home so not sure if the logistics of bringing fish and keeping it frozen in the rental car works. Any ideas?

elreytut

elreytut
Jun 19, 2005
Los Angeles
Name
bob
Boat
TARPON 120. NEW RIDE
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like a top notch operation.

What’s the best way to get to Ninilchik/Homer after flying into ANC? Fly down or drive down? Would be cool to drive down as I’ve heard it’s a nice drive but hate to have the rental car sit for basically a week. Also, on the return, hopefully we’ll have some fish to bring home so not sure if the logistics of bringing fish and keeping it frozen in the rental car works. Any ideas?

Rented a vehicle in anchorage, drove down and back. They freeze and box your fish for the flight. EZ. Call them

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
Ninilchik is about half way between Kenai and Homer and you can fly to both from Anchorage. The drive from Homer is a little closer. I would check with the lodge and ask their advice for the best travel options. A few things I do know is that last year a one way ticket on either Ravn or Grant aviation was $85 one way to Kenai from Anchorage, if you booked early. I think it will be $95 next year but I do not know that for sure. I know you can get a rental car from the Kenai airport, got one last year from Budget. A compact was about $50/day in May and I'm sure it will be more in the prime season. Depending on the number of people in your group, the drive from Anchorage might be the most economical way to get to Ninilchik. The last time I rented a car from Anchorage airport it was about $80/ day but if you get one from a rental car agency that is not at the airport you might cut the cost in half.

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
Ninilchik is about half way between Kenai and Homer and you can fly to both from Anchorage. The drive from Homer is a little closer. I would check with the lodge and ask their advice for the best travel options. A few things I do know is that last year a one way ticket on either Ravn or Grant aviation was $85 one way to Kenai from Anchorage, if you booked early. I think it will be $95 next year but I do not know that for sure. I know you can get a rental car from the Kenai airport, got one last year from Budget. A compact was about $50/day in May and I'm sure it will be more in the prime season. Depending on the number of people in your group, the drive from Anchorage might be the most economical way to get to Ninilchik. The last time I rented a car from Anchorage airport it was about $80/ day but if you get one from a rental car agency that is not at the airport you might cut the cost in half.

DennisV

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Book in July near the quarter moons. Full and new moon tides just rip in the Cook Inlet and shorten the the amount of time you can hold the bottom and fish.

It's a hell of a sight to see four pounds of lead streaming out behind the boat unable to reach the bottom.

Jun 25, 2018
van nuys
Name
Alan
Boat
whatever boat my son is the captain of !
i would book the last week of July , the first week of Aug, so you can fish the Ling opener Aug. 1st. That's what we did this year with Steve and yes the tides are ripping but had limits all 3 day we fished the inlet , day 4 and 5 went outside too fish lings

Reactions: elreytut

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Book in July near the quarter moons. Full and new moon tides just rip in the Cook Inlet and shorten the the amount of time you can hold the bottom and fish.

It's a hell of a sight to see four pounds of lead streaming out behind the boat unable to reach the bottom.
Does it matter if low tide is mid day?

DennisV

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Does it matter if low tide is mid day?
High tide usually fishes better.

But remember, you have about 21 hours of daylight up there in July. Trips can start very early or end very late in the day.

HiFishah

Oct 2, 2019
Hawaii
Name
HiFishah
Boat
Wa’a
Thanks for all the great advice! It really sounds like a world class operation. Sounds like tides can be a factor. Hoping to find a good time to go. Heard they’re booking up pretty fast.