Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 12, 2011
Fresno, CA
Name
David Rouse
Boat
Long range fishing
Last month I was on a 16 day and wahoo fishing was really great. Some of the passengers on our trip wanted to know what I was catching all my wahoo on. I told them that I really like the captain Jimmy wahoo bombs and I don’t wire them I use Fluorocarbon 130 LB line. Lately there’s been some rumors going around that captain Jimmy was going out of business. Those rumors are completely FAULTS. I talked with Jimmy the other day and he’s not going anywhere. I highly recommend using captain Jimmy’s wahoo bombs. On my last trip I had my limit of 15 in two days using the green captain Jimmy’s wahoo bombs and people were begging me for some. I always carry a few extra and gave a few to other angles to use. They starting catching wahoo after wahoo. If your going out fishing make sure you order your wahoo bombs today because they have been working for many others and myself for years.

C3A59B3F-028B-4ACA-876A-E4E64F2E330E.jpeg

2010642D-0952-4354-8755-002100F08227.jpeg

75D8CB0A-36D7-45ED-929A-D8D0C44EC312.jpeg

AA88D025-25A3-4D35-8A86-31F34C675511.jpeg

Last edited:

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Third picture, goofy dude, orange tee shirt... ;)

I was having fun throwing a Tiger Stripe 6XJr. Romo asked me if I wanted to fish a bomb. They work!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    The weight of a Jimmy bomb just under 5 oz is patterned from Jorge’s formula. His bomb was made from a 4.5 oz torpedo sinker. Captain Jimmy was a long time Red Rooster booster. Seems back then it was not fancy but simple. And Jorge’s favorite was blue/silver skirt. All he used was a 533-5.5 and single strand wire 50# mono

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    K
    kevina
    Two downvotes are fine, But the third time is a charm, I gave myself a downvote. I would give myself 10 downvotes if I could, This is what I think of these stupid ass upvotes/downvotes :finger:!!! Whoever came up with the downvotes/upvotes idea is pretty bieber
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    Third picture, goofy dude, orange tee shirt... ;)

I was having fun throwing a Tiger Stripe 6XJr. Romo asked me if I wanted to fish a bomb. They work!
    The , goofy dude, orange tee shirt... ;) would be non other than my roommate. OOKKYYY brother. I sure hope to share the rail with you again Steve.... Great guy in my book.

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
    Apr 10, 2012
    The 505
    Name
    Nick B
    Boat
    African Queen
    So.... this one? "Yellow Dorado"
    Yellow Dorado.jpg

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat
    Long range fishing
    alan760
    alan760
    Still can’t believe Min did not have one green bomb in his box. I carry 3 rigged plus skirt replacement material.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    The , goofy dude, orange tee shirt... ;) would be non other than my roommate. OOKKYYY brother. I sure hope to share the rail with you again Steve.... Great guy in my book.
    OKAY Brother! Let’s do it!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    We just received a new shipment of Captain Jimmy Bombs.. Get them while they last.. P.S. I speak to Jimmy on a regular basis.. Jimmy is still cooking up great bombs and thanks all of his clients for being so loyal... We are both getting older but we are both still kicking and participating in our amazing fishing sport..

My favorite bombs, in no particular order are the Dark Green Dorado, Holloweenie (Orange and Black), Bloody Runner and the Black/Pink.. Of course, in my opinion, color matters a great deal so on any given day, or any given hour, the hot colors change...

Short lesson, have a good assortment.. They do not go bad if you store them in the plastic tubes.. I hate the mind set when I as an angler get down to you last 1 or 2 hot bomb colors. Or worse, running out while still fishing for skins. That has only happened once in my Long Range Career and will never happen again.. You cannot buy more once you are out on the water (Unless you have very, very generous boat mates or have the great fortune of finding a few on the boat. In the case of Wahoo Bombs, Less sucks..

Good luck to all on the up coming season.

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

themacs

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 18, 2003
    San Clemente CA
    Name
    scott
    Boat
    none
    I have tried most of Jimmy's colors. The GREEN is truly "THE BOMB". It out fishes all the other colors by a lot :)
    Can't beat the price and quick shipping!

Reactions: Soda Pop
    Upvote 0

Nolan jahn

Jun 14, 2014
    Name
    TadyDaddy
    Boat
    Excel
    I’ve always been a fan of the wired Catchy Tackle bombs, but I’m intrigued by the idea of a fluoro leader. Can you provide any more details? How often do you get bit off? If it gets inhaled, does the leader ever survive to land the fish? How many fish will an average leader last? Is there a trade off with more bites, but more losses? I’ve had a couple wahoo even bite through a wired bomb, so just trying to understand how the fluoro stands up.

Reactions: Cubeye and FishRock
    alan760
    alan760
    I've caught 1-4 wahoo on 130 Fl leader. Just need to inspect the leader after each wahoo. Haven't lost a bomb yet due to bite offs. Only time I have been bit off was due to a shark or fishing straight mono. I find it easier to rig fluro leaders than wire for my wahoo jigs and bombs.
    Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0
    Bill W
    Bill W
    I use 150# YoZuri. The only time I get cut off is on the sink. Maybe one bomb lost per trip. Bite ratio goes up.
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I’ve always been a fan of the wired Catchy Tackle bombs, but I’m intrigued by the idea of a fluoro leader. Can you provide any more details? How often do you get bit off? If it gets inhaled, does the leader ever survive to land the fish? How many fish will an average leader last? Is there a trade off with more bites, but more losses? I’ve had a couple wahoo even bite through a wired bomb, so just trying to understand how the fluoro stands up.
    You also obviously need to check your leader each fish. I know my fluoro leader gets shorter as I have to retie between fish, as I commonly get marks on my leader.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I use floro with bombs, only losses have been on the sink, and only a few of those. You definitely get bit better, but always have one wired up and ready to go! When you see wahoo ripping around all lit up after a jig strike, there going to eat practically anything. I mostly fish jigs, I think they get bit better than bombs, but you do loose more fish on jigs than bombs. It's a tradeoff! I only use floracarbon on my seastrike 33's and raiders, very rarely loose one, 6xjr's are a different story! They tend to swallow those smaller jigs. You ever get this wahoo thing figured out, please give me a call! Those wucking fahoo can make a sane man walk around talking to himself!!!

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I use floro with bombs, only losses have been on the sink, and only a few of those. You definitely get bit better, but always have one wired up and ready to go! When you see wahoo ripping around all lit up after a jig strike, there going to eat practically anything. I mostly fish jigs, I think they get bit better than bombs, but you do loose more fish on jigs than bombs. It's a tradeoff! I only use floracarbon on my seastrike 33's and raiders, very rarely loose one, 6xjr's are a different story! They tend to swallow those smaller jigs. You ever get this wahoo thing figured out, please give me a call! Those wucking fahoo can make a sane man walk around talking to himself!!!

I fish the 6x because of exactly that reason. More jig for them to hit when the hit the middle like they tend to do. I lose fewer jigs then when I throw a jr.

Reactions: Cubeye and Bill W
    Upvote 0

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
    Hotchkiss Colorado
    Name
    Tom Honaker
    Boat
    Royal Star
    I fish the 6x because of exactly that reason. More jig for them to hit when the hit the middle like they tend to do. I lose fewer jigs then when I throw a jr.
    I wire my 6xjr's with titanium wire, lost a ton of them with straight floro, if you get bit on the retrieve it may work out favorably, unless they come from behind and inhale it, then all bets are off! I love fishing the 6xjr! When there eating the smaller baits it can be lethal! My biggest wahoo a 88 pound fish was caught on 30# straight mono with a blue and white tady AA while fishing yellowtail, with a 540 cal star 10 foot rod on a 338 newell reel on the qualifier 105 at the ridge in the 80's. Tons of luck involved! I do like small jigs like Megabaits with upgraded hooks, and the smaller raiders with straight tie 40-50 pound floro when it gets tough to get a bite! Surface iron too!

Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I wire my 6xjr's with titanium wire, lost a ton of them with straight floro, if you get bit on the retrieve it may work out favorably, unless they come from behind and inhale it, then all bets are off! I love fishing the 6xjr! When there eating the smaller baits it can be lethal! My biggest wahoo a 88 pound fish was caught on 30# straight mono with a blue and white tady AA while fishing yellowtail, with a 540 cal star 10 foot rod on a 338 newell reel on the qualifier 105 at the ridge in the 80's. Tons of luck involved! I do like small jigs like Megabaits with upgraded hooks, and the smaller raiders with straight tie 40-50 pound floro when it gets tough to get a bite! Surface iron too!

I’m all in on the surface jig action for them. Got a new jig stick just for it and am having Ken switch out the gears on my Tq 25 to the lower gears just for that purpose. Love watching them blow the jig up on the surface, just have to make sure the hook is razor sharp so it sticks

Reactions: nicodemus
    Upvote 0