Hookdown

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 1, 2014
Compton
Name
Johnson
Boat
Mine
A long time ago when Morro Bay used to fog in and the albacore used to show up, I went on an overnight on the Admiral at virg's landing. There was an old crusty cook named "Gilly" with a stellar personality. We were fishing in late November and the bite was super scratchy. Gilly did a half ass job making breakfast burritos. He'd combat fish the bow until lunch, throw together burgers and then get back to combat fishing. He gave no fucks and the captain didn't either. Lots of people complained and the captain just shrugged his shoulders and said, "That's fishing." End result of the trip was 12 albies caught. 4 by Gilly. And no, Gilly didn't share the wealth. After that experience, I was all too happy to pay more to go on the Pacific Queen when it would come up to fish the sea chickens.
Gilly was a dam good fisherman, worked for Cal Trans I believe. Traded galley duties for fishing. You should have watched and learned a thing or two is all I can say.

Reactions: zoner

BobbyAgate

Apr 2, 2018
Manhattan Beach
Name
Adam
Boat
Not yet
Fishing next to the captain or a deckhand that's a hot stick is worth the cost of admission if you pay attention .
Man some of the replies here make it sound like these boats are in the business of showcasing the crew's fishing skills for paying customers to watch. Like passengers are paying for a ticket to watch a football game or something. lol

I wasn't there so don't know what went down. But if the crew is really fishing and not handing off on an offshore trip then I wouldn't want to fish that boat again.
Id rather fish next to a Captain than a crew member any day of the week. I respect any Captain until he gives me a reason not to. And VERY few have in the 40 years Ive been riding sport boats. Crew members? not so much. They are hired hands. They are on the boat because they gets paid to WORK FOR the passengers. NOT to fish and try and get a bite started... or land a big fish that everyone can get a taco cut out of... if you're lucky. Unless it gets stashed in the bow tank like Ive seen happen before. 2019 has become the Year of Outing Crews And Captains on BDs. People politely snitching like its a new thing. People asking... "has anyone else seen or noticed this??"... uuuuuu.... yeah... like 20 years ago Bro...

The industry has changed. Deckhands were revered back in the day. Badasses. Now it seems like they pull from a pool of 16 year olds that dont want to work at McDonalds. Or its a "closed circuit" of kids they pull from. This Captains nephew... or a Tackle Shop owners kid. Or whatever the case. And not all of them even seem that interested.

I was out yesterday and tried to have a conversation with a crew member. He was probably 18 - 20... and he just didn't want anything to do with anyone. I always test the crew members. I like to know who Im dealing with as much as I can. Especially when my son is with me. We were trolling and we stopped on a spot. As soon as the motor cuts everyone goes running for the racks right? People start casting before the boats even stopped and the trollers are still in the water dangling out the back. No crew to be founds anywhere??? I cranked both trollers in and put them in their rack... and here comes the deckhand... running. He stops and cant figure out what happened to the trollers?? LOL as hes scratching his head... I passed by him and said I got you covered. And he just smiled at me. Later he came up and said that was really cool of you. Noones ever done that before. And he was the coolest kid for the rest of the day! He even wanted to cut my fish for free... but I paid him. He ended up earning it.

At the end of the day... just look at whos cleaning the boat. If youve has 2 deckhands all day... and there are 6 kids scrubbing... those are your future. Not hard to see...
Hey, business is business and everyone is entitled to their opinion. And they call it fishing, not catching. So, while yes I think the crew should be working. I also want to have a great day on the water. It's my happy place. I can't control what other people want to do. But I am in control of myself and I went out their because I want to have a great day. Bottom line. Period. Weather I have fish in my gunny sack or not.

I like what these guys have said a lot. Sometimes you have to make the most of a situation. And there are no better mentors than the ones with the experience. At the same time, the vibe on the boat matters. And I definitely think the captain and crew play a role. Don't piss in my wheaties and expect a generous tip. I probably won't be back. Then again I worked in restaurants for 10 years with 5 years of customer service experience. So I do try to give them the benefit of the doubt first. It's not an easy job.

Reactions: titos334

mindbent

Feb 26, 2015
I.E.
Name
Jon
Boat
one that floats
I've been on different trips with different crews. I know what I like and don't like. I've been on charters where all but 2-3 paying customers including myself wanted to fish and the rest was all about drink beer and socialize. Then they complain about not catching anything and say that boat sucks. So for me the guys I fish with also make a big difference in captain/crew attitude. I've been on boats I'll never fish again and fished with people I hope to never fish with again. So before bashing a boat people might want to consider the attitude of the people fishing on the boat. I've also been on boats where captain and crew fish. Hell, I've been on boats where I never saw the captain other than getting on and off the boat. Next time you go out take a look at who is actually paying attention to what the captain and crew are recommending for rigging up. A boat load of people that just want to drink beer and think fishing is just baiting a hook and throwing it out there, hell yes I'd fish if I was the captain. He'll never see those people again no matter what he does. If I'm on a charter like that I'll hang with captain and crew. As for deckhands these days good ones are hard to find. Finding any youngsters that have a work ethic is hard to find. Just go fishing and enjoy yourself.

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
When the skipper gets out his rod it's a great opportunity to learn what to do...instead of griping about it pay attention to how he chooses a bait, how he catches it and gets it on the hook and over the side without killing it....a lot to learn there especially for those who are having trouble getting bit. He's also in many cases owner or co-owner of the boat having invested thousands of dollars and unknown number of hours learning what he knows. Yet some folks here that have only invested the price of a ticket want to be the ones who decide whose allowed to fish and who isn't? I'm confused.....
Nothing to be confused about. Your point about watching/learning is a good one.

In the scenario the OP described the captain fishing for himself (with a crewman to help) while paying customers are not catching is total BS. Unless the owner made his money somewhere else and bought a sportboat the paying customers are the people who paid for the chance for the captain to fish. If you don't see fit to serve those customers then you should have bought a yacht so you can do all the fishing you want.

Reactions: monster1

monster1

Typical striper owner
May 30, 2006
Long beach
Name
Monster
Boat
Yep
Gilly was a dam good fisherman, worked for Cal Trans I believe. Traded galley duties for fishing. You should have watched and learned a thing or two is all I can say.

Fuck Gilly and people who do this kinda shit and the people who think it's ok just because they are some kinda fishing God. When you go to a restaurant, does the cook come out, sit down and start eating your dinner? Btw, I do just fine. That's all I can say.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
Crew should hook and hand unless everyone already has enough fish. I don’t need any lessons from the captain or crew. They are just another passenger unless they hook and hand.

Reactions: monster1

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Apr 24, 2005
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
I've learned more watching captains fish than any video or watching countless people fish.
Most times they don't have to think what they're doing. It's instinct. They are a walking tutorial.
I have no problem with the Capt fishing. His job is to put you on fish and offer words of encouragement or ridicule. Personally I like both.
Deckies fishing during a hot bite is no bueno. They haven't earned their stripes.

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
On long range trips, the crew always hands off the fish. How many fish does this crew need anyway. If you want to fish for yourself, go buy a ticket.

dorado50

May 5, 2006
San Diego
Name
DAVID
Boat
BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
A really good captain catches a tuna and fights it for 30 mins or so until the fish is ready to come up and then hands it off.:food-smil

Tunaslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 4, 2004
Dallas, Texas
Name
Omar
Boat
Hobie Pro Angler
Does it count as fishing when the deckhand pulls line onto the reel by hand while you just turn the handle and sweat because you are too old or out of shape to finish the job?

Seen that too many times and nobody complains unless that becomes the jackpot winning fish. Must have learned that from watching the Wicked Tuna guys. :rofl:

Reactions: bentcalstar

Iron Rod

Im your Huckleberry!
Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Michael
Boat
All off them. Usually.
When the the captain says wind in your face!!! And everyone except You and a couple Long Roders look back!! Yes it's time for the crew to start fishing.

Iron Rod

Im your Huckleberry!
Aug 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Michael
Boat
All off them. Usually.
Captain and crew will likely bring one on deck Quick. Its part of the show. Gets Your game going and you may start to pay attention .

Second Row

You Should Have Been Here Yesterday
Aug 8, 2008
Newport
Name
Scott
Boat
21' Grady White - Rusty Hook
Yeah.. I've seen it too. They're usually trying to increase their counts.. and bring some fish home for themselves.. usually they hook & hand.. I hope there was at least one crew member brailing bait