RazorJack

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 20, 2013
Hansville, WA
Name
Nick
Boat
19' Arima SR
Holy shit... I had to google it real quick and they have simplified the shit out of that form... How many days each month... nothing specific..

Still have to have a form for each vessel and a letter from owner if not your own vessel, but that is much easier...

Ya, it shocked the hell out of me when I went to class.

Reactions: G-Spot

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
I just got done getting my 25 Masters Near Coastal with towing using Marine Learning systems online program.

You have up to one year of self paced study with a proctored exam when you pass the course and are ready. I did mine over three months as my schedule allowed.

As with all things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. If you just want a credintial and learn as little as possible you can do that. I learned a lot from the program and would say it was well worth it for me.

Take a look at all of it and get a plan together. First aid/CPR, TWIC card, documenting sea time, physical, drug test and a handful of forms are all part of what you’ll need outside of whatever class you take.

Reactions: strackle99

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
I did my original course in AK, but it was specific for AK Rivers if I recall properly. It expired years ago, so I took the OUPV Course with Ron at American Marine Training Center in Sequim. (855-344-2682) I did my Masters course with Skip in Tacoma. Ron was an incredible instructor and it was nice just to be away from everything else during the course to learn everything properly. Skip was good too, but too many stories of in every block of instruction for me. Ron's wife puts together all your paperwork also and ensure things are straight before sending them in. Highly recommend Ron.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
I took my training with Ron at American as well, they were in Pt Townsend then. I also hear Ron has retired, he was a good teacher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cohoho

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
I took my training with Ron at American as well, they were in Pt Townsend then. I also hear Ron has retired, he was a glod teacher.
Must have retired this year, i thought he had a booth at the past Seattle Boat Show? Either way he is good dude and great instructor.

Reactions: Wild Bill

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
I guess at the end of the day I have to decide what my intentions are.

I have 50+ hour a week job that is difficult to get away from for that much time. I did find that evening course thing so it would be an option but most of you like the Tacoma guy.

Again...having a bigger boat has just changed things for me. The cat drafted so little running that cutting a red bouy here or there was ok. Shooting the gap at the jetty wasn’t an issue. Running in 20 feet of water wasn’t a big deal. As far as on the water I was low profile...could see everything and on the lake was just another boat.

Carolina has changed that stuff. 4 foot draft...if I touch a prop on the ground it’s a major thing. I have to be way more conscious about my wake...my direction...rules of the road that 80% of us probably don’t really know.

Up in the San Juan’s I feel like im as big as a 40 footer...but I’m as fast as most fishing boats...so when I pass another yacht...it’s just different than passing someone in my worldcat.

so I guess I will just decide how far down the rabbit hole I want to jump.

Reactions: strackle99

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
Never have worked up the balls to shoot that jetty gap no matter what I’m driving. Of course being a larger vessels drives my way of thinking. I have to be careful with weather reports. 15 to 20 I think nice day which it isn’t on our sport boats. Constantly having to double check myself.

ledbed6b

Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
I've contemplated this a bit as well, my conclusion: spend more time on the water, make an effort to practice challenging situations and Google shit for understanding the rules. I'm not going to do anything for hire so no reason to bother with a license. For what you're describing it sounds more like time with your boat is the ticket.

Reactions: goatram

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
I've contemplated this a bit as well, my conclusion: spend more time on the water, make an effort to practice challenging situations and Google shit for understanding the rules. I'm not going to do anything for hire so no reason to bother with a license. For what you're describing it sounds more like time with your boat is the ticket.
This is very true! Have a Chapman Piloting and Coast Guard Navigation Rules and actually understanding a lot of the terms is very helpful. Understanding when someone truly has the right of way, who is stand on and who is give way, etc...

There are some things that the written word doesn’t explain like the instructor. I always made the natural assumption that a vessel engaged in fishing was limited in her ability to maneuver and therefore had rights for others to give. This is not the case. The term restricted in her ability to maneuver is very literal and is not given to some commercial guy out trolling. Doesn’t change much, I’m still getting out of the way over being run over, but knowing is good....

Identifying lights of working vessels, and some of the compass deviation information is also pretty cool. The guys above share a conversation that many would not even understand without a greater knowledge. In addition to true North and compass north, each vessel based upon it’s equipment and magnetic Fields has it’s own version of North... When navigating you must know this if you are going to do it with a paper chart. Each vessel is supposed to have the compass deviation posted and updated each time they change anything in the vicinity..

Silly little things like a captain Must use all tools available to him while captaining... Like on a beautiful sunny day with visibility for miles, you (according to the rules) are required to use your radar. I typically only used my radar when visibility was effected, but the Coast Guard says if your vessel is equipped with it, it must be used.

A lot of useless information, but all kinda cool too.... A lot of what I learned will never be actually used in real application, but time on you cessel

Tower Todd

Number #2
May 2, 2006
Touring the Pacific Ocean at 12 knots
Name
Todd S.
Boat
274' Long Range
You need to be able to document 360 as a minimum to get the most basic OUPV license.

When you look at the most basic Master 25 Inland seatime, it is also 360 days.

So that means the same seatime you use for a OUPV could also get you a 25 Master Inland. There is a little more study and testing g to get the master but it is worth it in my opinion.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

TT

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I did Mariners Learning System, too. The class / test was the first thing I had studied in 20+ years. It was nice being able to go at my own pace...some sections i had to listen to multiple times.

The rules of the road part is tough. Need to remember lights, dayshapes, bouy meanings.

I would recommend Mariners Learning System.

ShiverMeTimbersPNW

Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat
24' Hewescraft Pacific Explorer
I took Skip's class in Tacoma and really enjoyed it. Got my 50-ton Master's license and run charters out of Gig Harbor part time.

If you want to expand your knowledge there are much cheaper ways to do so.

Also, a Captain's license is never a substitute for experience with a specific vessel and good judgement. I still pick up my Chapman's and read it. There are lots of youtube videos too. Depends what you're trying to accomplish.

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
I have the Airframe and Powerplant License for Aircraft. With that I was the Quality Assurance Inspector on the Large Cargo Frieghter (LCF) at Boeing Everett. I signed the Airworthiness Release everytime that one of the 4 LCF's left Paine Field on 2nd shift. If I or one of the other Mechanics forgot something and the Plane went down, I would be standing tall infront of the FAA answering questions. Back in the day my Assistant Crew Chief of my F16C tail #791 had to meet the Accident Board when Maj. Steward flew the plane into the ground. He had issues prior to takeoff that had him shutdown and restart. He was low-level going to Avon Park Bombing Range in Fl. The Maj clearly flew it into the ground. His body was found turned to the left in the seat, rt hand was on the lt side of the cockpit. They determined he was reprogramming his INS. I was in school at Tyndol AFB FL. My Assistant was grilled, piss tested, Examined by the Docs. The Board wanted to find fault elsewhere. Their fellow Pilot could not be at fault.

With a Captain License you are held to the higher Standard. Pete mentioned that I should get one a couple of years back. I declined due to the Implied Increased Responsibility. Think about a CDL License. Get a speeding Ticket going 15mph over the Limit, what's going to happen to you? Have an accident? Hurt someone? The Liability increases a bunch. The Capt's License says you are a Professional. No Room for Error.

Get the book, read it, practice it and Talk to the other more Experienced guys if you got Questions. Why ask for more trouble? You're a Car Guy and that is where you make the big bucks. Your Personal Knowledge and Good Insurance will protect you more than that piece of paper/plastic will and with less liability and stress.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
I think people are over thinking the idea that having the license is a liability. I prefer to be held to a higher standard, its a constant reminder to "don't be that guy".

And I hope to hell guys are doing everything they are supposed to be doing to avoid catastrophic incidents on the water with or without the license. I actually wish everyone had to go through a captains style class to operate a vessel because I've seen some stupid shit on the water/ and don't get me started about the docks and launch ramps. Some guys own boats way above their knowledge and skill level.

If you want the license get it without hesitation. If you just want knowledge than continue your on the water adventures and add some fine reading to the mix.