CAPT J MAN OF DA DAY!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by ALOHABIRD, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ALOHABIRD

ALOHABIRD Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    22+2 Grady White ShaniaRegina
    Congratulations on a 980 today! Only wish it was on my lure!:rofl:
    Way Da go you Guys:appl::appl:
    :hali_olutta:

Attached Files:

2. dweston

dweston Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    yours
    Thats awesome Jude way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Bada$$ ! That's a "deep sea monstah" congrats!

4. elias caldo

elias caldo pm.fishing

Name:
    Capt.Elias caldo
    Boat:
    32 CA World cat Big tuna and 28CC Superpanga Big Tuna2
  5. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Congrats on that fish, how long was the fight?

Tight lines,

6. dausualinc

dausualinc Newbie

Name:
    Kekoa
    Boat:
    30' Knife
    Congrats Capt J.

7. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Nice!

So close to a grander....just one more otaru or shibi for lunch and it could have pegged that scale.

Congratulations on the spectacular catch!

8. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Capt J., crew and charter,
    Congrats on a fish of a life time.

Cheers
    Pat

9. JUDE SCHWARZE

JUDE SCHWARZE Newbie

Name:
    KAUAI50
    Boat:
    31 BERTRAM.
    Hey everyone thanks for the kind words. That was a fun fish to catch!

She laid along the side in and hour and 10 minutes (closed course, professional driver, don't try this at home:).

The Client was the best of people and a very kind and most of all a deserving person. I wrote an article for the island paper but because I am commercial they opted to not print a picture or credit the angler, Jeff Ingram.

Since I found this post I thought it a great place to put the story:

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> Aloha,

I wish to share with the island community " The Ultimate Hawaiian Adventure" on the Big Ta Do, a legendary 31 Bertram Custom Sport Fisher.

July 23rd, 2011, Angler Jeff Ingram, possibly the most deserving and kindest person I've ever met, landed this 980 pound Pacific Blue Marlin outside Port Allen Small Boat Harbor with me Captain J at the Helm, Joshua Aceret-Ipac at the leader and Jeff's lifetime friend and spouse Kathy at the camera and in full support.

A refreshing burst of positive energy hit the dock in the morning with Jeff and his spouse Kathy meeting me at the first slip in Port Allen Small Boat Harbor at 5:15am. He was wide-awake, energetic, so stoked and so positive. She was a bit mellow under the influence of seasickness precautions. His first few words blew my mind. "She's beautiful, look at that Kathy, look at that." He was referring to my very sweet but mostly overworked custom 31 Bertram. I didn't know what to think. This much energy so early in the morning, it was almost irresponsible, but so warm and friendly, Jeff was stoked just to be on the island. Once we headed out I explained what we were planning on doing and what the conditions and "Contack" had been like this week. He said to me, "J, I don't care what we do and I don't care if we catch a fish, I'm already happy just to be here with you and whatever happens it doesn't matter". WHAT? Say again? I was thrown. No expectations, no perceptions, no assumptions, let it ride and whatever happens, happens. My friend Salvador has a term for this kind of thinking. "God Bless you. You are the lucky one".

I left the harbor with a thought, "no one deserves it more".

We headed west to KK buoy. There had been some steady action with smaller Aku (skipjack) and Koshibi (Yellow fin tuna under a 100 pounds) for a few weeks and we had some nice surprises the last week with four Marlin and some big strikes to and from the buoy. We got a strong hit on the outrigger as we approached the 1000 fathom line just 2 miles outside the harbor. It was "Contack". The strike was hard but the line stopped running soon after. Steady pressure with progress lead me to believe it was an Ono. Close but not quite. A Kaku (barracuda) about 17 pounds with perfect teeth came on board. A good start but maybe we can do better. We reset and continued to the mark. KK was quiet with four boats working the area.

Porpoise were thick and it was very slow with these assertive predators lurking and waiting for easy pickings off the hook. So much for the good fun! Wait, there in the bottom corner a splash, "AHI". Well, Shibi but at this point anything bigger than the 3 pound Aku we had managed to sneak in through the porpoise would be fine. Some 30 pounders made the surface rip. "Ok, lets break it down." We quickly changed tactics and the tunas did too. The ocean was still again. They surfaced up and away and then began to run around. We worked it for some time and the porpoise found us at every corner. No contack! Tired of the sight seeing and motivated by the continued good will we left the area and moved up the line to fish where we had some good strikes and landed some 150 and 200 pound marlin and some ahi in the blind. It remained blind with no birds or signs to speak of. Jeff came to the helm and again he was appreciating all that he could see. We passed the time and I told him this is how it gets done. "GRIND. GRIND, GRIND." With little to guide us, and dolphins taking away some of the desirable options, we were on the grind. "It's so cool to be here." Jeff was an eternal optimist.

"There!" we took a strike hard on the outrigger. It laid down and began too peal. "YAH!" We shoot out of the hole anticipating the strike to be a marlin from past experience. Minutes later the rascal jumped the hook. "Ay YAh!"

We reset and continued to wander an area that had been good a week before and produced a solid strike.

Joshua called it out the moment the rigger went down again. "CONTACK!" It was on. Looking around expecting to see it, she came into the sky with fury. A big fish, 500 plus from the distance, she had already taken the better of the spool. The line pulled out from the Port side while she was breaking water on the starboard. Jeff was holding on and wondering what was next. More blue and black racing across the cobalt sea was it. We ran her down and spun around and yes we did it again. What a thrill! She then dropped down on the port corner and held her own with authority. It was a stand off. "Josh, lift her up a little." All he had to the breaking point and she began to rise. Jeff was coached on how to take an inch, not a foot, and we began to chop her down with a small ax.

Nothing changed for some time. Josh lifted, Jeff Cranked, I coached, Kathy took pictures and moved everything out of the way. It got real quiet. It was a big fish and I know what happens to big fish. "You get um, or you don't."

We waited with a few words as Jeff told the fish to give up. "This is a 31 Bertram" he said to let her know the game was over or just to make me smile. An hour and 10 minutes after that first rip and run she came to the boat. "Color", I was the first to see her from the helm on the fly bridge. She was big. Not 'like kind of big', a little more like OMG big. She passed under the boat and came behind belly up. Jeff, Josh and Kathy got their first look. Speechless.

She rolled over and made her way back down again on the port side, not far, and Josh pulled her again to the boat. I leaped from the Helm and moved across the deck, putting the gaff in I reached for the belly and rolled her over. She kicked but laying against the hull belly up the will was not there and I was able to hold on. I passed the gaff to Josh and grabbed another and another. She kicked, we held and we won. I looked to Josh and said, "this is a thousand pound fish."
    He stared at me. Speechless.

We tied her to the side and began the journey home. Jeff looked over the rail and watched her closely in disbelief. I looked back now and again to make sure she was still there and we all wondered home in a stupor.

Only later did I learn that Jeff had been waiting for this quite some time with some Deep Sea Fishing trips gone by over the years. He was a great guy from the first moment to the last and I'm glad it happened to him hear with me, Captain J in Port Allen on the Big Ta Do.

Thank you to Troy Martin for the lift, the winch and the scale. Thank you to my father Conrad Schwarze for showing me how to work hard and play harder. She was 980 at the dock after losing her breakfast on the way home. Not a thousand, but if you ask me, she was when we caught her.<label for="rb_iconid_6">[​IMG]</label>
    IMG_0900.JPG [​IMG]

10. JUDE SCHWARZE

JUDE SCHWARZE Newbie

Name:
    KAUAI50
    Boat:
    31 BERTRAM.
    Aloha Pat,

Just wanted to let you know I picked up a 32 Blackfin to sister my 31. Looking forward to fishing on her and maybe seeing you in the future.
    J

11. JUDE SCHWARZE

JUDE SCHWARZE Newbie

Name:
    KAUAI50
    Boat:
    31 BERTRAM.
    Hey everyone thanks for the kind words. That was a fun fish to catch!

She laid along the side in and hour and 10 minutes (closed course, professional driver, don't try this at home:).

The Client was the best of people and a very kind and most of all a deserving person. I wrote an article for the island paper but because I am commercial they opted to not print a picture or credit the angler, Jeff Ingram.

Since I found this post I thought it a great place to put the story:

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"&#65325;&#65331; &#26126;&#26397;"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> Aloha,

I wish to share with the island community " The Ultimate Hawaiian Adventure" on the Big Ta Do, a legendary 31 Bertram Custom Sport Fisher.

July 23rd, 2011, Angler Jeff Ingram, possibly the most deserving and kindest person I've ever met, landed this 980 pound Pacific Blue Marlin outside Port Allen Small Boat Harbor with me Captain J at the Helm, Joshua Aceret-Ipac at the leader and Jeff's lifetime friend and spouse Kathy at the camera and in full support.

A refreshing burst of positive energy hit the dock in the morning with Jeff and his spouse Kathy meeting me at the first slip in Port Allen Small Boat Harbor at 5:15am. He was wide-awake, energetic, so stoked and so positive. She was a bit mellow under the influence of seasickness precautions. His first few words blew my mind. "She's beautiful, look at that Kathy, look at that." He was referring to my very sweet but mostly overworked custom 31 Bertram. I didn't know what to think. This much energy so early in the morning, it was almost irresponsible, but so warm and friendly, Jeff was stoked just to be on the island. Once we headed out I explained what we were planning on doing and what the conditions and "Contack" had been like this week. He said to me, "J, I don't care what we do and I don't care if we catch a fish, I'm already happy just to be here with you and whatever happens it doesn't matter". WHAT? Say again? I was thrown. No expectations, no perceptions, no assumptions, let it ride and whatever happens, happens. My friend Salvador has a term for this kind of thinking. "God Bless you. You are the lucky one".

I left the harbor with a thought, "no one deserves it more".

We headed west to KK buoy. There had been some steady action with smaller Aku (skipjack) and Koshibi (Yellow fin tuna under a 100 pounds) for a few weeks and we had some nice surprises the last week with four Marlin and some big strikes to and from the buoy. We got a strong hit on the outrigger as we approached the 1000 fathom line just 2 miles outside the harbor. It was "Contack". The strike was hard but the line stopped running soon after. Steady pressure with progress lead me to believe it was an Ono. Close but not quite. A Kaku (barracuda) about 17 pounds with perfect teeth came on board. A good start but maybe we can do better. We reset and continued to the mark. KK was quiet with four boats working the area.

Porpoise were thick and it was very slow with these assertive predators lurking and waiting for easy pickings off the hook. So much for the good fun! Wait, there in the bottom corner a splash, "AHI". Well, Shibi but at this point anything bigger than the 3 pound Aku we had managed to sneak in through the porpoise would be fine. Some 30 pounders made the surface rip. "Ok, lets break it down." We quickly changed tactics and the tunas did too. The ocean was still again. They surfaced up and away and then began to run around. We worked it for some time and the porpoise found us at every corner. No contack! Tired of the sight seeing and motivated by the continued good will we left the area and moved up the line to fish where we had some good strikes and landed some 150 and 200 pound marlin and some ahi in the blind. It remained blind with no birds or signs to speak of. Jeff came to the helm and again he was appreciating all that he could see. We passed the time and I told him this is how it gets done. "GRIND. GRIND, GRIND." With little to guide us, and dolphins taking away some of the desirable options, we were on the grind. "It's so cool to be here." Jeff was an eternal optimist.

"There!" we took a strike hard on the outrigger. It laid down and began too peal. "YAH!" We shoot out of the hole anticipating the strike to be a marlin from past experience. Minutes later the rascal jumped the hook. "Ay YAh!"

We reset and continued to wander an area that had been good a week before and produced a solid strike.

Joshua called it out the moment the rigger went down again. "CONTACK!" It was on. Looking around expecting to see it, she came into the sky with fury. A big fish, 500 plus from the distance, she had already taken the better of the spool. The line pulled out from the Port side while she was breaking water on the starboard. Jeff was holding on and wondering what was next. More blue and black racing across the cobalt sea was it. We ran her down and spun around and yes we did it again. What a thrill! She then dropped down on the port corner and held her own with authority. It was a stand off. "Josh, lift her up a little." All he had to the breaking point and she began to rise. Jeff was coached on how to take an inch, not a foot, and we began to chop her down with a small ax.

Nothing changed for some time. Josh lifted, Jeff Cranked, I coached, Kathy took pictures and moved everything out of the way. It got real quiet. It was a big fish and I know what happens to big fish. "You get um, or you don't."

We waited with a few words as Jeff told the fish to give up. "This is a 31 Bertram" he said to let her know the game was over or just to make me smile. An hour and 10 minutes after that first rip and run she came to the boat. "Color", I was the first to see her from the helm on the fly bridge. She was big. Not 'like kind of big', a little more like OMG big. She passed under the boat and came behind belly up. Jeff, Josh and Kathy got their first look. Speechless.

She rolled over and made her way back down again on the port side, not far, and Josh pulled her again to the boat. I leaped from the Helm and moved across the deck, putting the gaff in I reached for the belly and rolled her over. She kicked but laying against the hull belly up the will was not there and I was able to hold on. I passed the gaff to Josh and grabbed another and another. She kicked, we held and we won. I looked to Josh and said, "this is a thousand pound fish."
    He stared at me. Speechless.

We tied her to the side and began the journey home. Jeff looked over the rail and watched her closely in disbelief. I looked back now and again to make sure she was still there and we all wondered home in a stupor.

Only later did I learn that Jeff had been waiting for this quite some time with some Deep Sea Fishing trips gone by over the years. He was a great guy from the first moment to the last and I'm glad it happened to him hear with me, Captain J in Port Allen on the Big Ta Do.

Thank you to Troy Martin for the lift, the winch and the scale. Thank you to my father Conrad Schwarze for showing me how to work hard and play harder. She was 980 at the dock after losing her breakfast on the way home. Not a thousand, but if you ask me, she was when we caught her.<label for="rb_iconid_6">[​IMG]</label>
    View attachment 295622 [​IMG]

12. dweston

dweston Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Duane
    Boat:
    yours
    Looks like you pulled the trigger on another boat. You know what this means
    a hellava lot more work :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Good luck to you brudda you will do well.
    Duane
    ps Great read!

13. Olopop

Olopop Newbie

Name:
    Jumpin' Joe Popa
    Boat:
    The Dream
    Great write up. Are you related to Denny?

14. jamesjim

jamesjim Newbie

Name:
    jamesjim
    Boat:
    none
    I don't think so. But would be awesome if he was! ALOHA.

15. GOAT15

GOAT15 Newbie

Name:
    Brando
    Boat:
    28 Parker LADY LUCK, 25ft parker CC, 35 Cabo flybridge,Ranger 85
    Way to go Capt J and the Big ta do!! Epic fish. And great report. Comin to see you soon!

16. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    congrats captain j, and congrats on a 2nd sled, just goes to show that solid people can still do good even in this economy!!!

17. sea shepard

sea shepard Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Sea Shepard
    What a pig congratz

18. RyanOhalloran

RyanOhalloran Newbie

Name:
    Ryan OHalloran
    Boat: