Capa yellows and somer bruisers

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Launched late out of CI Friday to facilitate my Dad (not an early riser) and my buddy who was just getting off of work at Ciscos. The morning started with my boat partner grabbing the gaff off the boat and throwing it inside my truck saying "we don't need this anymore". We had a second gaff on the boat anyway and I figured this was his way of getting rid of some potential strange karma associated with that particular gaff (which was the previous owners). Picked up Dad and my friend at the Ciscos dock and my Dad handed me a fantastic b-day gift; a new graphite Seeker gaff, SWEET! Fairly obvious at that point that everyone was in on it, nice!

Got a scoop of horse deans at Ciscos and made quick work of the crossing at 28 knots. Approaching Anacapa we made a right instead of a left, and slid into a nice looking spot in 90' away from the bulk of the fleet which was to our west. Proceeded to have a nice pick at smaller grade yellows (10-18 lbers), missing way too many with our giant deans. This was definitely the case where some smaller baits would have been more appropriate.

Thomas with a typical yellow (new gaff works great!)
IMG_20150911_094042006_HDR.jpg

About an hour into our spot my Dad gets picked up and is immediately pinned to the rail.
IMG_20150911_094846181_HDR.jpg

After 20 minutes of pain he quickly obliges when I ask him if he needs a break. Another 30 minutes later and everything I've got I managed to only gain about 20 yards. Every time I had the fish close to color it would peel off some seriously pinched drag on a Penn 555 with 40lb (pretty impressive). Dad is ready and rested and wants it back and I'm happy to hand it back (did I mention how f-ing hot and humid it was out there). 5 minutes into my Dad's second go the line goes slack....dammit.

Picked at a few more yellows and then it happens again; Dad is pinned to the rail once more. Same scenario with lots of helping Dad.
IMG_20150911_095351_301.jpg

45 minutes later we finally have color and low and behold...big old honkin' BSB pushing 150 lbs.
IMG_20150911_121209362.jpg

After a quick hook removal, getting her upright, and a well deserved minute later she kicks like hell back down to her haunt. Nice successful release. We were pretty stoked and the look on my Dad's face pretty much made the day for me.

Pretty darn obvious after that successful c & r that Dad's first fish was the bigger cousin of fish #2.
So two giant BSB in one day, pretty darn cool.

Awesome day with the "A team" and nice to put the crew on some solid, drag pulling fish. Definitely a great way to spend the b-day weekend.

One of Dane's yellows;
IMG_20150911_161654520_HDR.jpg

Poke salad, yellowtail rolls, and sesame ginger BBQ'd yellowtail getting ready to be consumed as I write this post. Life is good!

Last edited:

RyanErb

Love to fish!
Aug 7, 2012
All over the 805
Name
Ryan
Boat
OnTheWater
Wow what a trip!! Sounds fun, glad you guys got into them!

Nice pics too!

That bsb is huge. My dad hooked into something like that at smugglers one time. Must have been a bsb.

Were the fish dropper loop or flyline?
Anchor or drift?

Last edited:
Reactions: steelhead88

steelhead88

Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
Damn you're quick Ryan....

Anchored, yellows either flylined or 1/4 oz, bsb on 1/2 oz relatively clueless (Dad) fishing the bottom totally unaware.

Reactions: RyanErb

dpflaumer

May 30, 2011
Ventura, CA
Name
Doug P
Boat
32 Luhrs
Lots of BSB out there, had one on at the same spot last week, snapped off after 25 minutes. Saw a guy release one on the backside of Anacapa yesterday. Nice job!

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
RADICAL!!!

steelhead88

Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
Nice Job....Did you roll offshore on Saturday? I thought I saw your boat out there?
Nope, stayed on the inside and shot home early. Next trip out will likely be offshore, I'm getting the feeling our pelagic possibilities won't last too much longer as the GOA lows are starting to get active.