Canyon Runner

Discussion in 'East Coast Fishing Reports Forum' started by PNWMatt2016, Apr 24, 2018.

1. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Hello Fellow BDr's!

I am going to NJ for our companies annual sales meeting/fishing trip this year. We try to break it up and change the State each year. Our VP just bought a new home with lots of space, so we decided to check it out and go East! We are heading out for a 30 hour overnight offshore trip on the Canyon Runner. Anybody had experience with them? What should we expect/hope to catch at the end of June? Looking forward to checking out East Coast fisheries!

tight lines!

2. Jersey Reel

Jersey Reel Member

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Angler 204cc
    Canyon Runner is one of the big players here in jersey. You'll catch yellowfin, dolphin, the elusive bigeye aka "the beast of the northeast", and possibly a blue marlin which get very big here. On the night possibly a swordfish or a big mako. Makos can get over 800lbs here and they will hang out at the canyons. One thing you might not know, is the ride to the canyons is a far one (65-80 miles), but you'll be comfortable in their rig.

3. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Thanks Jersey.

So no Bluefin? Is the location too far South for big BF? I'm just excited to get out and do some fishing, so it's no big deal whether we catch them or not. Yeah the boat looks pretty bad ass! I figured the 30 hour trip would cover a nice long run out and back in. Looking forward to fishing the East Coast for the first time!

4. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Lots of experience - I grew up fishing with Mark DeCabia one of their captains and have over 100 canyon trips under my belt.

The Canyons really heat up most years in Aug-Oct. The big draw is the mixed bag of 40-100lb YFT, 150-300lb Big Eyes, 30-75lb Albies, Swords, Blue and White Marlin, Wahoo and Dorado. You don't know that next bite is. When they are on there really might not be a better overall blue water destination in the world. It call also be flat water devoid of life if there aren't any eddies to fish.

Unfortunately in June the bite is usually mostly smaller YFT but it depends on what the eddies look like at the time. You will also like bottom fish for Tilefish which is awesome.

They will also shark fish at night since the chunking sword bite usually doesn't start until the fall. For East Coast guys Mako's are a huge deal, way bigger than bluefin ... obviously west coast guys won't really care.

BFT do head to the edge (100 fathoms) but it's generally while migrating up to summer feeding grounds (Massachusetts to Newfoundland) in late May and then back down in December. Otherwise they are inside the edge.

In late June there can be some great BFT fishing on the way out on the inside for medium grade BFT. If that's happening you'll stop get your 1 fish from 27-43" and and one over 43" and then continue to the edge (about 70 NM to the shelf).

No matter what the bite is the Canyon Runner is the best. Are you on the 44' Viking or the 60' Richie Howell?

5. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Brett! Thank you very much for your insight and experience. I can't wait to just get that first bite and hear that reel scream! Mako,Dodo or tuna, I am in 100%!

We booked the 60 ft'r. There are 6 of us.

Northeastfshman likes this.
  6. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV
    Let me know if you have any other questions and let us know how your trip goes.

Hoping it's not the normal June fishery - it's a long ride and you are always hoping for that Big Eye.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  7. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    It's almost time! I arrive in Beach Haven late Monday night on June 25th. We leave sometime mid morning on Wednesday June 27th and return Thursday late afternoon. I have a seen a couple of their reports, looks like big eyes, couple makos, mahi and a smaller sword have been the species of catch! Anyone been seeing local catch reports this month? How is the ocean typically during June? Is it favorable seas, light wind with 2-5 foot swell? Or are there storms that arise more often than not? thanks

8. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    seems they have been trolling up some bluefins in the 100 lb range south of cape may

9. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Thanks Joe! Thats exciting to hear! Can't wait to get out and fish the E.C!!!

10. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Back from the trip! Pictures and video to follow! 20 yellowfin hooked up. 1 marlin followed up to the Port stern of the boat! Awesome time!

11. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    We kept 15 Tuna. 20-40lb average. Had a couple of 50lbrs. Bumpy ride out, but by about 930 am we seeing 2 foot, long spaced rollers and it turned out to be a great day! We had a nice White marlin strike a squid bar, we pulled the bar up and she followed, we had a single bait with skirt waiting about 20 feet off the port stern, she did not take to it and peeled off. Awesome to see the color and hunt from the fly bridge! No big eye or bluefin hooked up. One large tuna hit about mid day, broke the crimp at the leader, and showed its back, it was a large big eye, but no idea how big! Canyon Runner team was amazing, the boat was clean, spacious and full of food and drinks!

20180627_181409.jpg 20180627_181054.jpg 20180626_204559.jpg

12. TheJasonO

TheJasonO Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Reel slow
    Awesome boat, awesome crew.

13. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Sounds like a great trip canyon is on fire right now . A great bigeye bite going on in the eastern canyons . Reports of some nice blue marlin around . plus word of some giants being caught east and south around cape may .

14. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    Are you bringing fresh sashimi to the PSA meeting in Westport Saturday? Seems like sharing would be awfully nice of you...

LOL

15. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Yes! Absolutely great trip/experience. I would recommend these guys any day! Laurence I did bring back some fresh tuna! Unfortunately, as soon as I got back, I did a turn around to Alaska with the family, for a week vacation! I did freeze the loins, so I still have about 60lbs of Tuna. If you want a nice steak, let me know and when we meet up for beers or in Westport, I'll bring you some!