KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
I've never had canvas before. Have it now and it's new. What are you guys using to keep it maintained. Silicone spray of some sort?? Nothing?? Just soap and water?

Upvote 0

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
canvas Should be treated with proper sealant, I used a ceramic product. And the windows rinse with h20 only, and lots of soapy water. Soft microfiber only. My crew knows don’t touch the canvas, that’s my job. You have to want it to stay new to stay new. Mine is new two seasons old. We can seal the canvas for you if you want to bring them to me? We seal canvas and clear Windows roughly 15 bucks a square foot on new canvas. 25, if you want both sides sealed

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Kim, suggestion, 303 fabric guard, it was recommended by the guy who did mine. I have 13 yrs on mine, waterproof every year. On the windows...Plexus, keeps it looking new, do both of these once a year, sometimes twice on the windows.
    The Plexus is amazing, makes used look almost new.
    Screenshot_20201213-150934_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201213-151007_Chrome.jpg

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    303 is a decent product, but plexus turn the windows yellow.

id suggest ceramic pro textile for the canvas. And car pro reload for the clear

Funny, have used Plexus for 8 of they 13 years and mine aren't yellow..🤣🤣

If canvas, go with what Benjamin recommends. The 303 for my sunbtella top has been everything and more for me. For my vinyl seatss, i have used 303 vinyl protectant since the 90's and works awesome, dried tuna blood comes right off and works agianst the UV rays, seats on my 33' were in the weather 365, 24/7 and were good as new at 7 yrs of abuse.

Reactions: liltrouble
    Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Tell you the truth I'm not sure what the canvas product is. Water beads on it now. I wouldn't think actual canvas but some sort of synthetic.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Find out Kim, will make a difference in what should be used...

Upvote 0

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
    Indianola & Browns Point
    Name
    kwik_wurk
    Boat
    Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
    taking care of canvas is a huge pia; it’s just like waxing and sealing gel coat...

Get the right product on the right material, as others mention.

Cleaning is straightforward: A good rinse, soapy water wash (light brush on canvas, clean cotton rags on windows), rinse again, then dry and apply product of choice.

A few tips about some other stuff...

-Lube the snaps, not a glob but just a touch...
    -Lube the zippers, especially those that are not going to be used much...(as in stay in one spot the entire season)
    -Keep dedicated clean rags for the vinyl windows... scratches are really the issue. (Think late summer forest fires and all that ash, or a trailer boat getting road grit. Rinsing only goes so far.)
    -Don’t forget to occasionally clean the seams and build up areas with a small soft brush. (toothbrush) Especially if it‘a white thread, as the thread/stitching will stain before before anything else.
    -If bungie is used for tie-downs, check that the bitter ends are melted/taped and not too long that they flap/rub. Get an extra length for spares.
    -For the deep clean, bring a folding table and lay down an old bed sheet or towels to do the final drying and sealing.

Reactions: Genie Aye and KimH
    Upvote 0

Nisshin Maru

Almost A Member
    Apr 30, 2018
    Shoreline
    Name
    Nisshin Maru
    Boat
    24 TJ Pilot
    Got to take care of the snaps, no matter how much you take care of the cover once you start tearing off the snaps its game over. Twice a year Vaseline with a Qtip its non staining

Reactions: KimH
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    Good thread KimH. I had the same questions. In addition, what is the best way to store them when not in use...roll them up or fold them? Also, if we're missing snaps (not the typical snaps) does anyone have a source for these? Once polished up with Meguiars, does anyone use Rain-X for their vinyl windows, how does it work??

Thanks all.......

Upvote 0

KimH

Mar 4, 2009
    Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
    Name
    Kim
    Boat
    Good thread KimH. I had the same questions. In addition, what is the best way to store them when not in use...roll them up or fold them? Also, if we're missing snaps (not the typical snaps) does anyone have a source for these? Once polished up with Meguiars, does anyone use Rain-X for their vinyl windows, how does it work??

Thanks all.......
    Farallon told me to roll them up and secure them with the snap straps when fishing. I'll leave them down otherwise. Their canvas guy built them where when they are down you can remove and store the snap straps so they aren't flapping and scratching the windows when running. Good idea....if I don't lose the strap.

It looks like Fisheries Supply has a fair assortment of snaps et cetera for marine canvas so you might be able to find a match on their web site for the snaps you need. Googling or Binging Marine Canvas snaps brings up a lot of stuff also. I use Bing most of the time for some reason.

Haven't a clue about Rain-X but I'd be cautious.

On the Sunbrella web site they recommend 303 fabric guard. Not sure if I need to use it now as they're new.

Reactions: EJ Swanny
    Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    What I'm talking about is storage in the cuddy. I only run curtains/vinyl if it is a deluge with bad seas. I like the wind and salt in my face. Better visibility and connection to the salt/sea :rockin:..........but I've also been burned by too big of seas to put them on when I need them. Some guys never take them off, some don't like them......personal preference.

Thanks KimH

Upvote 0