Canvas cover vs. custom pilothouse build vs. deal with the wind - 1984 22' Boston Whaler Revenge

Jason A Maier

Aug 9, 2019
Goleta, CA
Name
Jason Maier
Boat
Whaler Revenge
Deckers,

I have a 22' boston whaler revenge in marginal shape. Its been a great first boat, especially for a new boater on a budget. Mostly used for surfing and diving adventures. But after two years of dealing with the wind and lack of storage I find myself wanting some wind protection (and maybe some more storage) and am looking for some advice.

WHAT I WANT: More storage for boards and protection from the wind.

Potential solutions:

1. Build a pilothouse. I am rather handy and have followed many of the foam core pilothouse builds on bloodydecks. I think I could manage, but its a lot of time and money.

2. Get a custom canvas bimini cover that snaps to the existing windshield. And add some stern rails so strap boards onto.

It's about weighing the costs of the project vs. the potential benefits. Seems both might be reasonably comparable out of pocket, but there is no labor time with the custom canvas as I would outsource. However, I also wonder how much a (well-made) pilothouse would increase the value of the boat.

Any and all advice would be great!

Upvote 0

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
Post a pic of the boat. An aluminum hard top with isinglass would work. It would support your surfboard, provide wind protection, a place for electronics and radio antennas, etc. Looks cool too.

Upvote 0

Mangimi

Mar 7, 2021
Scandinavia
Name
Karl Koch
Boat
Nauti Boy
I am wondering the same. Somehow you're never happy with what you have, so getting something new is always interesting. I have only a small 15ft but there are even smaller boats with little half open cabins/pilothouses seen here.

I'd like to be able to fish when it's raining without getting soaked, or just don't get too much spray when driving in. A canvas has the benefit of more deck space when the weather is nice. But it needs to be unfolded every time, dried, it may break from the wind, etc. A house takes space but it's a solid space.

My guess is: a DIY pilothouse will decrease the value of the boat no matter how well it's made. If you want one, than make it for yourself. If you consider selling the boat in the foreseeable future, then don't change anything. You won't get the money back for neither canvas nor pilothouse.

Reel Kahuna

Mar 24, 2011
Lake Camanche, CA
Name
Seon
Boat
23.5' Navigator Duckworth F150 Yamaha
I had a forward control tin that needed a new Bimini cover so decided to buy an industrial sewing machine to make my own with side curtains. $300 for the machine, $125 for material which were a lot less than the $1000 a shop wanted. I even fabricated a taller aluminum frame.
Point being, do the top and enclosure yourself and save money. Rather easy to learn sewing.

413817922.jpg