Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I like how everybody thinks that using the term "googans" is all of a sudden cool. I'll stick with kooks, I believe that was our term from the beginning.....not one stolen from the East.
    But kooks was a crossover from surfing.
    Googans is fishing specific and just a fun word to say.
    Kinda like gingko biloba.

If I call someone a "wicked Googan" you can gut punch me without repercussion. :D

Disclaimer: I first heard the term "googin" from a post sdfishkiller put up with his definition. I thought it was funny as hell and started using it. Some months later I heard it used on the show and realized that's where it came from.

Upvote 0

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
    Feb 17, 2005
    State of Confusion
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
    I read this whole post while on the shitter. Now my legs are asleep. Im stuck until pins n needles stop.

Nice fish dude. Would love to get one on 30 lb test sometime.

Reactions: huntindog
    Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 14, 2004
    i.e.
    Visit site
    Name
    jeff
    Boat
    no
    But kooks was a crossover from surfing.
    Googans is fishing specific and just a fun word to say.
    Kinda like gingko biloba.

If I call someone a "wicked Googan" you can gut punch me without repercussion. :D

Disclaimer: I first heard the term "googin" from a post sdfishkiller put up with his definition. I thought it was funny as hell and started using it. Some months later I heard it used on the show and realized that's where it came from.

Googan
    A fishing (not sexual) term for lowlife, shore(bank) fishermen who baitfish typically without a license, regard to regulations, and etiquette towards other people, especially other fishermen following the rules.
    Damn, I couldn't find a spot at the river yesterday. It was totally full of googans hogging up the place, dropping f-bombs, and snagging fish.

Look up Abadaber. I think I'm going to use that one from now on. Googan only works with the Boston accent. :)

Great catch on the BFT btw. I don't care how you got it to gaff!

Upvote 0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Name
    Heather Bodnar
    Boat
    Freedom
    We certainly appreciate all of your comments about the bluefin caught on Friday on the Freedom. I work on the boat, worked that day, know Tracy (angler) and was there taking pictures and witnessed the whole thing from start to finish. Please understand that as a crew it's very difficult to always make the right decision. At the time we realized that if this fish got on the boat, it would be a fish of a lifetime for Tracy and hopefully not, but maybe for the boat herself. We made a collective decision to fight this fish to the death as we would have for any of the customers who had landed such a catch. Tracy and a couple members of the crew pulled tirelessly on that fish for 2.5 hours. It was caught on a blue and white tady, 40lb test big game line and a old school Newell. We went thru 10 bottles of water trying to cool that reel down. It was certainly a team effort and anyone, including myself who was there that day witnessed something they may never see again. Congrats to Tracy. We'd do the same for anyone who chose to fish with us. We are sold out the next 3 days, but come fish with us on the new Freedom. We'd love to have you aboard. Heather

image.jpg

Upvote 0
    Jul 20, 2014
    Name
    Heather Bodnar
    Boat
    Freedom
    We certainly appreciate all of your comments about the bluefin caught on Friday on the Freedom. I work on the boat, worked that day, know Tracy (angler) and was there taking pictures and witnessed the whole thing from start to finish. Please understand that as a crew it's very difficult to always make the right decision. At the time we realized that if this fish got on the boat, it would be a fish of a lifetime for Tracy and hopefully not, but maybe for the boat herself. We made a collective decision to fight this fish to the death as we would have for any of the customers who had landed such a catch. Tracy and a couple members of the crew pulled tirelessly on that fish for 2.5 hours. It was caught on a blue and white tady, 40lb test big game line and a old school Newell. We went thru 10 bottles of water trying to cool that reel down. It was certainly a team effort and anyone, including myself who was there that day witnessed something they may never see again. Congrats to Tracy. We'd do the same for anyone who chose to fish with us. We are sold out the next 3 days, but come fish with us on the new Freedom. We'd love to have you aboard. Heather

image-jpg.529387

Reactions: huntindog
    Upvote 0

Flyrbr

get a couple of gaffs in this
    Oct 21, 2013
    San Lucas By The Sea, Ca
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    if it flies, floats or... you got it
    fair hooked, foul hooked, group effort or not. WTF! 100 lb. Bluefin, US waters, freaking July. That is the point. Way to go!!

Upvote 0

rowdyrosco

sancho
    Apr 9, 2009
    PSL
    Name
    ross
    Boat
    Skipjack 20
    These days anyone that can afford a boat, or has parents that can afford one for them, considers themselves fisherman. A fish of a lifetime is one you fought to the death, and could eat not stuff or weigh in. That's exactly what it is, a one on one fight to the death. Not a bunch of pussies wearing designer fish killing clothing ganging up on a fish that's 'foul hooked' in the mouth with a Chinese made hook that will rust out in a few days. Most of you peter puffers are so concerned with getting a fucking photo for facecock, you've forgotten(or never learned) what fishing is. If you have two hands, there's not too many fish out there that you shouldn't be able to handle solo, if that's not the case sell the boat and stick to the cattle boats where the help's available to tie your knots and land your fish. There's more than one way to deal with that situation that do not end in loosing the fish or calling for help, figure it out. U.S. waters, Mexico waters, Bob's backyard pond waters, what's the difference, stand up and fight it like a man or stick to calicos on 4 string. Or maybe that's too much, without someone to net.

Reactions: Short Bite
    Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
    First, those are assumptions. Second, have you never been on a fish and got to that point where you say ok, it's him or me and lock down the drag? That's what's called fishing. Passing the rod around and high fiving after everybody on the boat pulls on the fish is called being a pussy. Seems like every couple weeks there's a story on the interweb about a big catch where the rod was passed around and everybody on the boat pulled on it. It's bullshit. Respect the sport.

Sorry man, that's your decision to make when fighting a fish, but not your place to judge others if they want to hand it off and/or make it a team effort. Though I agree, it's a fight between you and the fish, but if the angler wants to pass it off and make it a team effort, that called "having a great time with your friends." And that's pretty damn good too. If an angler passes off the rod cause he's exhausted, well, thats on him. Not to mention if the fish is a grander and/or the angler is really old.

Upvote 0

SemperFishing

Apr 26, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Prefer Long Range or skiffs (great if combined!)
    These days anyone that can afford a boat, or has parents that can afford one for them, considers themselves fisherman. A fish of a lifetime is one you fought to the death, and could eat not stuff or weigh in. That's exactly what it is, a one on one fight to the death. Not a bunch of pussies wearing designer fish killing clothing ganging up on a fish that's 'foul hooked' in the mouth with a Chinese made hook that will rust out in a few days. Most of you peter puffers are so concerned with getting a fucking photo for facecock, you've forgotten(or never learned) what fishing is. If you have two hands, there's not too many fish out there that you shouldn't be able to handle solo, if that's not the case sell the boat and stick to the cattle boats where the help's available to tie your knots and land your fish. There's more than one way to deal with that situation that do not end in loosing the fish or calling for help, figure it out. U.S. waters, Mexico waters, Bob's backyard pond waters, what's the difference, stand up and fight it like a man or stick to calicos on 4 string. Or maybe that's too much, without someone to net.

Really dude? Next time you fight a fish, make sure the fish has a one on one chance to kill you. That would make it "one on one." So unless you were Santiago, alone with rope in a rickety boat with no nav equipment, or hand wrestling a tiger shark (I was going to say Great White, but that would probably give some idiot the idea and forget they're protected), then you've got this whole "me vs fish" blown completely out of whack. "you've forgotten (or never learned) what fishing is."

Dude, I learned that fishing was fun. Not this whole "fight to the death" machismo bullshit. You want death? You want a fight? I watched that shit go down for 2 mouths in Fallujah in 2004. Lots of death. Lots of watching humans hunting human targets, not fish that can't kill you, real humans, real guns, real thinking people constantly looking for ways to end your life. After that shit, I'll stick to fishing.

edit: CONGRATS TO THE 80lber being caught! That's a damn fine fish for Southern California, no matter how you caught it. But 8 hours is pretty damn long!!!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Gmoyer
    Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
    sacramento, ca.
    Name
    randy welsh
    Boat
    16' mirrocraft
    if you hand off you failed to catch the fish or chose to let someone else land it. (not catch it)
    nothing wrong with spreading the love on a good bite, to a kid or with small fish but if it would have been a bragging fish "we rat packed it" isn't much to brag about.

it's also not worth reffering to igfa rules concerning anyone else even touching the rod. what's up with igfa? we invented sportfishing here and they think they can make the rules?

even so good job, the blisters, 8 hr. fight, wrong rod and all. you came real close.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
    Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    I love this post. Brings all the assholes up to the surface and out of the shadows :)
    Throw bait! Leave one hangin in the holder!

Upvote 0

RooftopFishin

Almost A Member
    Nov 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Name
    Colin
    Boat
    No longer a boat owner =(

I respect your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, I purchased my own boat and having been fishing San Diego waters since I was a kid and I was fortunate enough to have a great teacher in my father. That said I have only caught a few tuna and still have learning to do. When Brett boarded my boat I could tell he was an extremely experienced fisherman and I had no problem asking him for help. If it wasn't for his help I would probably still be on North 9 trying to stick a gaff in this thing. I have a great story, a great fish, and great memories.. I won't lose any sleep on how I got him into the boat.

Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
    Diamond bar Ca, USA
    Name
    Dominic
    Boat
    22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
    I was on the Freedom for that trip where the 102lb bluefin was caught. that reel was struggling. a better reel prob with 2 speed prob would have been 45 mins. It sucked waiting and killing all that fishing time but we did manage to score some tuna on the way back. we actually left when the bite was really good. passed up boils and were told not to troll anymore either. and Congrats to Tracy and the others for catching a toad bluefin!!!

All in all i did pretty well on the trip. lots of others skunked it. but thats fishing.

You should have seen all the generics living the lie taking pics with the big bluefin like they caught it. hahahahahahahh

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    BUMP!
    Just making sure you get your full 15 minutes bro.:)

Upvote 0