Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Technically, if you are on someone else's boat you had help.

Reactions: Kareem Korn
Upvote 0

Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope
First, those are assumptions. Second, have you never been on a fish and got to that point where you say ok, it's him or me and lock down the drag? That's what's called fishing. Passing the rod around and high fiving after everybody on the boat pulls on the fish is called being a pussy. Seems like every couple weeks there's a story on the interweb about a big catch where the rod was passed around and everybody on the boat pulled on it. It's bullshit. Respect the sport.

Your an idiot. A 100lb class BFT was landed out at 9mile bank, that's great for all of us to have a chance at these fish in our waters so close to shore and all you do is get on here bitch how it was done. Who gives a shit. When you have your opportunity do it how you want but until then congrats to the guys who put the fish on the boat.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
First, those are assumptions. Second, have you never been on a fish and got to that point where you say ok, it's him or me and lock down the drag? That's what's called fishing. Passing the rod around and high fiving after everybody on the boat pulls on the fish is called being a pussy. Seems like every couple weeks there's a story on the interweb about a big catch where the rod was passed around and everybody on the boat pulled on it. It's bullshit. Respect the sport.

Not flaming you just a bit curious.Have you ever been pinned to the rail for 8 hours?Please tell us your story and how it ended.I've never had to go that length of time,its got to seriously hurt.

Mike

Reactions: DEMOCRATSSUCK
Upvote 0

RER

Dec 24, 2011
Newport Beach CA
Name
RER
Boat
None
Your an idiot. A 100lb class BFT was landed out at 9mile bank, that's great for all of us to have a chance at these fish in our waters so close to shore and all you do is get on here bitch how it was done. Who gives a shit. When you have your opportunity do it how you want but until then congrats to the guys who put the fish on the boat.
..lol, you googans just don't get it about an angler quitting on a fish ...and thanks for making my point with your "Who gives a shit" comment.

Upvote 0

MoMo Fish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 27, 2010
Ventura County
Name
Brooklyn!
I just don't like that this made the news. Already there has been an increase in new people signing up on BD to post about wanting to be a boat Ho.

Can't imagine how many more rental rods will be crowding the local party boats with every joe blow thinking they can jump on a 1/2 or 3/4 boat to land tunas. Between the groupon boats and now this I am sticking to private boats this year with exception of my 3 day trips.

And also avoiding intense Rambo fishing googans.

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Hey guys I was the one who passed the rod off, after 6 hours of fighting this thing with the drag maxed out my body felt like shutting down. Call me a pussy all you want but the fish was landed and I have a great story to tell. =)

And an incredible story and fish to boot!!!

WTG Colin, I'd have done the exact same thing given the situation.....call me pussy too!!!

Reactions: DEMOCRATSSUCK
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2014
Name
Tony PALMERI
Boat
Accolade
I was driving the boat that dropped off the angler that helped land the fish. Yes, the fish was foul hooked and had a very large purple rapala in its mouth. Head down,and on 60 lb and a yellowtail special, 4.0 penn. The rod was too stiff and had worked the angler to death. Collin T. Stalemate comes to mind, since gaining line on a fish this size is nearly impossible with his set up. No belt, long rod , and 60. Needless to say, not a world record set up, and no reason to pull a Zane Gray and fish pull till midnight ! Now if he was on bait and say 30lb, then yes, don't even come near my boat or I will shoot you. This could be a world record ask please don't ask to help me!! Thank you for asking, but I'll take my chances and skill to the grave for this fish. But not this fish, and I would have let Brett R board my boat any day to help land this fish from hell. Christ I'm worked and hungry, and need a beer! We boarded the boat, and started to help, back down some, pulled , more moves, pulling, and finally to gaff at 5:30. Missed it and the water exploded with a thousands gallons of air and spray. Totally knarly like a long range trip. Collin, please buy a long gaff, because your hand gaff would not have cut it. Also, always swing at the head. We missed the fish and back down it went. This is a bad fish! Btw, an 80lb bluefin can fight harder that a 150lb one. They are angry! Finally back to gaff and Brett gaffs it, Collin with the second hook and it's on the boat. Great job to Collin for hanging in there to land a fish of a life time. Now go get a nice troll set up! Also, you did the right thing, because you had no chance at any IGF records. It fishing, and with fishing comes friends! It was tremendous experience for all and to be at the 9 looking at downtown Sam Diego was radical. I've ran hundreds of trips down below, and have never seen fish so close in this capacity. Truly epic! Congrats to Collin T for the incredible display of luck and triumph. That was awesome!
Ahui Hoi ! And smooth seas!
Tony Palmeri

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2014
Name
Tony PALMERI
Boat
Accolade
The fish inhaled the entire lure. When it hit the deck, it exploded again and thrashed hard. Pretty impressive after an 8 1/2 hour fight.

Upvote 0

bouttime

On the grounds,where are you??
Oct 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
Tim
Boat
Royal Star since 1997,Just a loyal customer.2120Parker Bout time
it was a mid-size BFT nothing to get excited about, maybe with help he could have pulled a bit harder, plenty that size west,

good luck

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
How long was the rod the angler was using? 7 ft? Or longer? I still can't get my head around a 100lb tuna on 60 lb line for eight hours.

Reactions: Short Bite
Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
I fought a 200lb mola for what seemed an eternity.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2014
Name
Tony PALMERI
Boat
Accolade
2 guys pulled on this fish. 3 of the hooks were pulled straight. Yes, they pulled hard! The rod was to long and stiff. They tried the rail, the squat and let the swell pull, the knee on the rail and rod over the other knee, or vise versa, and the let the boat pull trick. His head was angled down with that rapala and the fish would not circle as usual. It came up like a seabass, and bailed down deep. It was Weird, cause I saw this pectoral come out like a billfish, and then it went back down. Not your typical capture!

Reactions: Hal Ibut
Upvote 0

Where'sMyBeer

Feb 26, 2007
San Diego
Name
Where'sMyBeer
Boat
Yes
agree with the 'man that musta hurt' posts.
our 60 lb BFT was gaffed in 20 minutes on 30lb mono last season.

Even the TV show - wicked tuna doesn't have the 800 lb bluefin on the clock that long. Was this really 8 hours fair hooked?

Not sure if I'm reading this right.

Congrats 100% around - nice fish!!! just .. like ... wtf?

Upvote 0

samiclaus

eat the heart!
May 5, 2004
Newport Beach CA
Name
sam
Boat
everyone elses
No shame in getting help..GF hooked 45lb bluefin last week on 30lb. We are talking a pretty strong ER nurse that works out and been fishing all her life. After 1.5 hours and the DH kidding her about putting her purse down and fishing hard she was spent DH pulled on it for a while. Look on his face was priceless when it tore off 150yds of line at deep color like it was nothing after 1.5 hours.Some fish just refuse to die, sounds like this was one of them... good job

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
..lol, you googans just don't get it about an angler quitting on a fish ...and thanks for making my point with your "Who gives a shit" comment.
I like how everybody thinks that using the term "googans" is all of a sudden cool. I'll stick with kooks, I believe that was our term from the beginning.....not one stolen from the East.

Reactions: c-goat
Upvote 0