layakai

It Smells Fishy!!!
Jul 13, 2007
Clairemont
Name
Jared
Boat
18' Hydrasports Center Console "Layakai"
Yep, on their way to the Marlin club to weigh it in.

Word was over 100lb...we'll see.

Upvote 0

datguyjoe

Oct 16, 2009
san diego, ca. usa
Name
joe
Boat
n/a
nice grade blue fin at the 9

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

Reactions: Tunahead
Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Not my story to tell, but I do know it was hooked on the troll around 9:30 a.m. and was landed around 5:30 pm. Hopefully the lucky angler will share with us.

Are you saying it took them 8 hrs to land a 100 lb tuna or troll gear?

Upvote 0

layakai

It Smells Fishy!!!
Jul 13, 2007
Clairemont
Name
Jared
Boat
Are you saying it took them 8 hrs to land a 100 lb tuna or troll gear?
Just going off what I heard over the radio. I believe the guy was fishing solo and a crew from another boat jumped on board to help him land it.

Upvote 0

MalibuFrank

Sep 15, 2003
Malibu
Name
Frank Nielsen
Boat
13' skiff
I just talked to my friend. He encountered the solo fisherman hooked up on the 9. The fish was foul hooked so the fishes head was turned away from the angler for the whole fight. They both pulled on it and it kicked both of their asses! No way to turn it. 8 hours!!!

Reactions: layakai
Upvote 0

rhamilton210

Adventurous sort
Mar 20, 2006
Poway
Name
Ron
Boat
18 Glastron, BBLU
Sounds like the BE's are here. I once hooked a 15# BF by the skin and I couldn't pop it up for an hour on 15# test. It was dead by the time we got it on board. Was dragging is side wards the whole time.

Upvote 0

layakai

It Smells Fishy!!!
Jul 13, 2007
Clairemont
Name
Jared
Boat
I just talked to my friend. He encountered the solo fisherman hooked up on the 9. The fish was foul hooked so the fishes head was turned away from the angler for the whole fight. They both pulled on it and it kicked both of their asses! No way to turn it. 8 hours!!!
Thanks for the confirmation. I posted the radio report so that others going out this weekend would be prepared with some heavier gear on board. Would be great to get the full report with pics soon!

Upvote 0

Albiebac

Jul 23, 2004
Scripps Ranch
Name
Eric
Boat
25' Skipjack, Albiebac II
Ha, ha.....now I understand what was going on. We couldn't figure out what was up. We saw the guy hooked up and running around the boat,....fighting the fish.....then hands on his head and rod back in the rod holder, BUT still bendo! This was at 4:00pm. Makes for a longggggggggggggg day. Congrats to him if he stuck it out and landed the fish! Quite a few boats around him trying to get in on his "morning bite". ;-)

Upvote 0