Can't figure out my windlass

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
Hi everyone,

I have a Lewmar V700 windlass on my new boat; my first windlass. Using the powered mode, it works great; both directions. But I'm trying to figure out how to do it manually, and just can't. I can never seem to get the gypsy to turn independently of the gear train.

Under "Letting go under gravity" the manual says: "Insert the clutch lever into the gypsy drive cap (31) and turn it clockwise to ensure that the clutch is tight. Release any independent anchor locks. If it is safe to do so, pull back on the clutch lever until the anchor and rode begin to pay out. Control the rate of decent of the anchor by pushing the clutch lever forwards. When suffi cient rode has been paid out, fully tighten the gypsy drive cap once again."

I don't really know what it means by "pull back on the clutch lever." When I use the lever to turn it counter-clockwise, the cap just loosens, eventually coming off, but the windlass won't budge (yes the pawl is disengaged).

And for manual recovery, the manual says "Insert clutch lever supplied into gypsy drive cap (31) and turn clockwise to haul in the anchor." When I do that, I can turn the gypsy a bit, but it's very hard, I can feel myself turning the whole electric motor, but it only goes a bit and then stops.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Ideas?

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
I have had the same issue with my v700.

When you loosen the drive cap the line gypsy should slip and let the anchor rode out, If not, the "clutch" surfaces are corroded and stuck together. Remove the cap and spray some penetrating oil to loosen it up. It may need some time to break free. With the cap loosened, tie off the rode to a fixed object and use the motor to break it free.

If the unit fails, hand line the rode back in.

Reactions: Charts

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
Aug 22, 2015
San Diego
Name
Charts
Boat
arima sea explorer 16
Yeah, that was it. The gypsy was frozen to the bottom surface. I took the chain pipe cover off with the allen wrench and then the gypsy's allen wrench screw, applied the tiniest pry with a flathead screwdriver, and it poped off. Works like it's supposed to now.