Cannon ball dimples

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
Brookings, Southern Oregon
Name
Chris
Boat
21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
I made up a bunch of 15# rigger balls today and always have the same prob where ! get a dimple or an air pocket hole on one side. I tried cool, hot, hotter molds and kept the lead at 650-700 deg. I poured slow and got ridges in the tail and poured fast and got bubble holes. I wound up filling the holes with molten lead out of my lee and then filed it down with a rasp. with 10/12# I dont get this problem. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I made up a bunch of 15# rigger balls today and always have the same prob where ! get a dimple or an air pocket hole on one side. I tried cool, hot, hotter molds and kept the lead at 650-700 deg. I poured slow and got ridges in the tail and poured fast and got bubble holes. I wound up filling the holes with molten lead out of my lee and then filed it down with a rasp. with 10/12# I dont get this problem. Any ideas?
Maybe you’re lead is to hot,
Try using a Colman stove and a tea pot,

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Teapot is the ticket. Fast pour limits lead cooling mid pour.

Get a dimple...hammer it out.
I do heat my molds up a little first,
With a butane stove,
Because I have the Comercial plumbers
Melting pot, and it didn’t pour my
Sinkers clean at all, a bunch of a pockets,
So I quit using it.

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Those holes in your ball might generate a stream of bubbles -- which will attract the fish. I'd leave them there.

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    I spoke to a very helpful grey matter honcho at do-it-molds today. first thing is most of us dont have pure lead. my lead was melting too soon cause it has alot of tin in it. and dont heat the molds. get the temp up to 720-730 deg and dont pour too fast or too slow. I did it today and actually got 15 and 18 # balls with no major styrations or voids cause I scrounged some old keel lead. I bought a 1950's 1000deg mercury thermometer on ebay lasy year. good to know the temp!! before with the bubble holes I was doing it at 650 cause the tin was melting at lower temp due to the alloy mix I had on hand. who woulda thunk melting lead would take an education! my guy also said for small jigs the lead purity not so critical. pic of 18# ball attached( if you wondering about the ss eye holding power it has malin ss tying wire wrapped around the threads and balled up inside the mold)
    IMG_1495 2.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    That makes sense.

I do 20lbers and don't have issues.

Best trick I learned was the Goodwill teapot when I started.

Guess I been lucky with good lead.

Reactions: jer dog