Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    I’m going to give this a try and wanted to get any thoughts, tips and suggestions before I start spending money on a pressure cooker and jars. I’ve been curious for a while and having just got off a 6 day and with a 10 day coming wanted to try something different with the YFT.

Do you guys use the smaller jars or the bigger size when you do it? Thanks in advance

scotth

Almost A Member
    Feb 28, 2006
    Forks, WA
    Name
    Scott Horton
    Boat Name
    21' - Silver Streak - Petrel
    I’m going to give this a try and wanted to get any thoughts, tips and suggestions before I start spending money on a pressure cooker and jars. I’ve been curious for a while and having just got off a 6 day and with a 10 day coming wanted to try something different with the YFT.

Do you guys use the smaller jars or the bigger size when you do it? Thanks in advance
    we like the smaller, wide-mouth jars (8 oz?) - they aren't cheap these days but they last forever - it is nice to have some wide-mouth pint jars too, especially if you have a bigger family and they make the work go quicker

try it, you will like it

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat Name
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    We use the pint wide mouth jars. A cool thing about that is they hold exactly 1 pound of meat, so I yank at least 14 pounds of meat from the freezer and can do one batch. I think it’s 14. Kids snatch it up when they are down here. TSA has always allowed a case of canned tuna as checked baggage. I prefer YFT to BFT for canning. Less fishy.

Oh, it’s critical you follow the instructions! NEVER let the pressure drop or you have to start over. And do your canning outside!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Wahoover

• Jan 5, 2005
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    jack snipe
    Boat Name
    Long Range
    All-American Canner #921. I do 1/2 pint jars, which is more like a regular sized can of tuna your buy in the store. They come in tall and wide-mouth versions, you can fit more "tall" 1/2 pint jars in the canner in each batch (about 22-24 jars), so I tend to use those more. Wide mouth can only fit about 15-16 each batch.

Home-canned Yellowfin Tuna is fantastic, I highly recommend it, and it last several years. Albacore is awesome too, but it has been a while since I've had any to can, lol. I write the batch number, date of canning, boat and species (i.e. YFT) on the lid of each jar with a sharpie after they cool so I can eat the oldest batches first.

It is quite a project though to can, so devote the entire day to it. In my experience you can do about a maximum of 5 batches a day if you start early. One last thing, I usually add some dried onion, garlic, and a slice of jalapeno pepper in my jars and a little water or chicken broth to the just below the top of the jar.

As mentioned by others above, follow the time and temperature parameters for your pressure cooker/recipe for safety. Instructions should be included with the cooker. I think it's 10 lbs. pressure for 100 minutes after venting.

FYI, wahoo is awesome canned too!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat Name
    19' Hobie
    I use a little bit of extra virgin olive oil instead of water. The flavor is much more vibrant. I like to use pink Himalayan salt instead of your standard sea salt. Ingredients such as peppercorns, jalapenos, whole garlic cloves, and fresh cut rosemary is a must for me. Use small jars for experiments with your ingredients until you find one that you really like. I canned most of my tunas.

Upvote 0

Tsmithson

Almost A Member
  • Jun 8, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Thomas Smithson
    Boat Name
    No
    Be careful not to mistake Pink Himalayan Salt (fancy regular salt) with Pink Curing Salt (for curing ham). I think it is deadly to eat Pink Curing Salt like table salt.

Canned food lasts forever and does not go bad.
    As long as the container is not rusted of compromised it is safe to eat. The quality will diminish over time but 10-20+ years later it can still be safe to eat.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

Flyrbr

get a couple of gaffs in this
    Oct 21, 2013
    San Lucas By The Sea, Ca
    Name
    Bob
    Boat Name
    if it flies, floats or... you got it
    I use the one pint wide mouth jars, spring water a 1/2 tsp of salt and a 1/2 tsp of pepper flakes. Fresh jalapeños kind of look like snot when cooked. After packing the jars with fillets be sure to run a knife around the inside of the jar while adding the water to get as much air out as possible. Follow the directions for time and pressure. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
    Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat Name
    s and hoes
    We use the pint wide mouth jars. A cool thing about that is they hold exactly 1 pound of meat, so I yank at least 14 pounds of meat from the freezer and can do one batch. I think it’s 14. Kids snatch it up when they are down here. TSA has always allowed a case of canned tuna as checked baggage. I prefer YFT to BFT for canning. Less fishy.

Oh, it’s critical you follow the instructions! NEVER let the pressure drop or you have to start over. And do your canning outside!
    Why can outside ?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat Name
    Leo's
    Another vote for the All American pressure cooker. My friend, Bruce aka @Green Ogre made that rec to me years ago and it was great advice. I also do both the pint and 1/2 pint and use the wide mouth jars--way easier to fill. Anything larger than a pint and the heating times go way up. Hard to eat a quart of tuna at once, anyway!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
    Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat Name
    s and hoes
    I use the American canner. Used to use 8oz but now I do 16’s because I was opening to 8oz cans to make tuna salad every time anyways. The flavor is awesome. I use olive oil, no water, pickled jalapeños and salt. That’s it. It’s a great way to preserve meat. I actually can other things I make too such as smoked salsa.

Reactions: flytie
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    I use the American canner. Used to use 8oz but now I do 16’s because I was opening to 8oz cans to make tuna salad every time anyways. The flavor is awesome. I use olive oil, no water, pickled jalapeños and salt. That’s it. It’s a great way to preserve meat. I actually can other things I make too such as smoked salsa.
    and make sure that you leave a 1/2 of inch of room at the top of the Jar,
    don't over fill it, plus after you shut off the Burner , let the Canner cool slowly,
    if you try to rush it you will suck all the Juice out of the Jars ,
    before they Seal .

Upvote 0

AllanI

Apr 27, 2008
    Lompoc, CA.
    Name
    Allan Isaac
    Boat Name
    Friends
    All great advice. Took me a few batches to learn this information, so your way ahead of the learning curve. I use the All American canner, pint wide mouth jars, chicken broth to cover tuna, 1/4 tsp of salt, and a TBSN of Mayo (can't explain this one), 15 PSI for 90 min, and do the "cooking outside". It is a process so just take your time and enjoy.

Last edited:

yakdout

Professional
    Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat Name
    s and hoes
    and make sure that you leave a 1/2 of inch of room at the top of the Jar,
    don't over fill it, plus after you shut off the Burner , let the Canner cool slowly,
    if you try to rush it you will suck all the Juice out of the Jars ,
    before they Seal .
    You also have a higher chance of breaking jars.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    All great advice. Took me a few batches to learn this information, so your way ahead of the learning curve. I use the All American canner, 1/2 pint wide mouth jars, chicken broth to cover tuna, 1/4 tsp of salt, and a TBSN of Mayo (can't explain this one), 15 PSI for 90 min, and do the "cooking outside". It is a process so just take your time and enjoy.
    15 LB for 90 minutes, once its up to Pressure's,
    is what I have been doing for 40 Years .

Last edited:
    Reactions: AllanI and flytie
    Upvote 0

flytie

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat Name
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    Keeps your house from smelling like a cannery. I use the side burner on my grill.
    It also keeps your house cooler. Running a canner for 90 minutes, plus heat up and depressurizing and cooling down can really heat up a summer kitchen.

I use the turkey fryer burner on the driveway.

I have the 930 and the 920. The 930 runs a heck of a lot of cans.

Jars are pretty scarce right now. Ace is pushing Chinese made jars under the name Pur. Don't buy them. Get Ball or Kerr from Walmart, Target or Tractor Supply (if you have one near you). You can get extra lids on Ebay for pretty cheap if you are looking for quantity.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat Name
    One that floats
    Thanks for all of the answers everyone. Pretty much confirmed everything I’ve read here previously and heard from folks.
    and before you use the All American Canner , make
    sure you put Vaseline around the inside lip.

Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
    Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat Name
    s and hoes
    Upvote 0