Canning tuna??

I'M OFF

Really off
Jul 12, 2007
On the deck
Name
Tommy
Boat
I need your tips and recipes for canning YFT. Never have done it and we are going to this weekend. Any pointers would great. Thanks
T

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I use a tablespoon of chicken broth and a sliced jalapeno in every jar.Great with Albacore.The Yellowfin is definitely fishier.Pressure cooked for an hour.

Reactions: I'M OFF
Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
10#s pressure once this is reached process for at least 100 to 110 minutes.The most important part is to keep where the jar meets the seal very clean or it will not seal properly.

Upvote 0

lasparky11

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 7, 2008
Ontario, CA USA
Name
Gene
Boat
X-wife she's so fat she floats
Make sure you follow the directions in the manual. I use 10# of pressure for 100 minutes. DON'T OPEN THE TOP UNTIL IT HAS COMPLETELY COOLED DOWN. Biggest mistake people make. I've used all kinds of stuff when I can tuna. Olive oil, jalapeno's, salsa, you name it you can put it in the jar. Personally I have found that different types of salsa work the best, gives it a great flavor.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    You jinxed the shit out of your trip. :shake:

Reactions: Stair Guy
    Upvote 0
    Oct 29, 2009
    BAJA SUR
    Name
    DA RAT
    Boat
    NONE
    one hour is not enough time, you may create a deadly poison, botulism.

90 minutes and ten pounds of pressure at a minimum at sea level and 15 pounds pressure higher than sea level at 90 minutes at a minimum. i do two hours and thirteen pounds and ball, the canning people, said i would never have any problems although it is overkill.

make sure EVERYTHING is clean, washed in hot water. jars, flat lids, screw caps, pressure cooker and components, any utensils you may use. i wash the jars, half pints or pints, NOTHING LARGER as there is no formula for it.
    b
    i barely boil water in a small saucepan and put the flat lids in the semi hot water as this softens up the rubber seal to seal the jar better.

after rinsing jars ( preferably wide mouth jars ), i fill the sink with hot water and let the jars sit in it and take them out one at a time and fill them to about one inch from the jar top ( head space ). i have put two medium jalapenos or three serrano chile peppers ( stems cut off ) in each jar or cloves of garlic, teaspoon whole peppercorns, very small amount of kosher salt, etc., whatever you like.

i put previously trimmed and cut fish into the jars and after filling each jar, wipe the rim with a dry paper towel so there is nothing to hinder the sealing of the jar. take the flat lid out of the hot water with tongs and place on top of the jar. put a screw cap on hand tight, don't crank it down real hard. place it in the cooker. i put water in the cooker while washing everything so it gets a good start and i don't have to wait as it'll take a while for the cooker to get up to steam, NOT ROARING BOILING, JUST HOT. the water level should be almost to the top of the jars. if you have a second layer, put the aluminum disk on top of the first layer. same if you have a third layer.

i put two tablespoons of white vinegar in the water in the cooker water as it helps to keep the jars clean while cooking.

put the canner lid on and turn the heat on high. once steam starts to come out of the top vent, wait about seven to ten minutes until you get a solid stream of steam to ventilate the air out of the cooker. put the vent device on after venting and watch the temp gauge and make sure there is no steam coming out on the sides of the canner. if there is steam coming out of the side, you will not be able to keep a solid pressure.

after cooking for ninety or more minutes, turn off the heat and let it sit until the temp drops to nothing. it is advised not to take the pressure thing off until the pressure drops and it is also advised not put the canner in cold water to speed things up.

what type and how large of a canner do you have ? presto, all american, or ?

i have been canning fish for over twenty years and when i was fishing, i would cut the fish into small fist size pieces, put them into ziploc bags and stack them in the freezer with paper towels between the bags so i didn't have a big frozen block of bags. usually starting around june when the tuna were running and i would start canning for four days on the four day thanksgiving holiday doing about four batches a day with two canners.

i have a 13 quart presto and a 30 quart all american. maybe 13 and 30 pint canners ?

if the fish smells fishy, canning removes the smell and the canned fish tastes as good as the fresht caught fish.

i hope this helps. if you have any questions for me, send me a pm.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Upvote 0
    Oct 29, 2009
    BAJA SUR
    Name
    DA RAT
    Boat
    NONE
    P.S. after you take the canner lid off or when you put the jars on the counter, you'll hear ping, ping, ping...that's the jars sealing. after the jars cool off, if you push on the lids in the middle, they should not give. if they do give, they did not seal. just put them in the fridge and enjoy. don't tighten down the screw cap hoping it reseals as it's not safe to do. just fridge it !

also, when you take the jars out of the canner, place them on a towel lined counter as if you put them on a cold counter, that may break the jars.

after all the jars are cool to the touch, i wash the sealed jars with soap and water with a scotch brite pad so there is no smell in my pantry. be careful if you do this as the flat lids are very sharp on the edges.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Lids go on finger tight.

Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
    Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
    P.S. after you take the canner lid off or when you put the jars on the counter, you'll hear ping, ping, ping...that's the jars sealing.

I love that sound!

FDA safe canning guidelines for non acidic foods (like tuna) are 110 minutes at not less than 10 psi, if it drops below 10 psi during processing, the clock starts again.

I'm just throwing it out there, there probably is a cushion built into their recommendation. Botulism poisoning is nothing to mess with.

And A.A. canners are the shit!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I love that sound!

FDA safe canning guidelines for non acidic foods (like tuna) are 110 minutes at not less than 10 psi, if it drops below 10 psi during processing, the clock starts again.

I'm just throwing it out there, there probably is a cushion built into their recommendation. Botulism poisoning is nothing to mess with.

And A.A. canners are the shit!
    yep I have one

Upvote 0
    Oct 29, 2009
    BAJA SUR
    Name
    DA RAT
    Boat
    NONE
    Hola mogambosquid,

thank you for the heads up on the timing change. i'm still safe as i do two hours at 13 pounds here in los angeles, sea level.

re: AA canners, i was going to buy the 45 ( ? ) but the lady at the canning store advised me to just buy the 30 and i'm very content with it.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Upvote 0

I'M OFF

Really off
    Jul 12, 2007
    On the deck
    Name
    Tommy
    Boat
    Well it was a success!! 68 jars and ALL of them sealed. We did habanero, jalepēno, peppercorn w/salt, we got some infused oils like hickory smoked oil, garlic, fresh jalepeno, basil . Cant say which is best yet as we haven't tried em all. We ended up doing 12lbs for 100 minutes. Thanks for all your suggestions[emoji106]
    e9a28c3de4c55cb8a796f447d1ad2e72.jpg
    bece5de290169145801636508e22a7e3.jpg
    929879ae2b6ef450eec6781b19c68003.jpg
    5d6358349eb30d814c844f438fe151e8.jpg

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    Just ran 40 pints of YFT, have another 40 to go. 12-15 lbs for 90 minutes is what I can at. I rarely loose a jar. I do a lot of Jalapeño packed in water, olive oil, and some chicken broth lately. I have been canning for 25 years, and have ruined a lot of friends for store bought. RSW fish canned is awesome! One thing I use, that makes it easier. I fill a large crock pot with cut tuna, and it is exactly one pressure cooker worth. I use 2 Presto 23 quart cookers, and get about 20 pounds each in pint jars. I rarely if ever loose a jar, and have it down pretty good.

If you have never done it, get a friend with knowledge to help, or follow directions carefully. After a couple of runs, it will quite easy.

Upvote 0