Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
So I have brined about 1/2 of my catch then smoke and canned. I was looking for some links to other recipes for just putting fresh loins in the can with ??? Having trouble finding the history on this. Can someone point me in the right direction?

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
The only thing that goes into my jars is tuna. When I want to add a different flavor, I do it after I open the jar. This way I can grab whatever jar of tuna I want, then mix in other flavors. Same when I give it away. People can do what they want.

Reactions: longknife

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
Last year we used 1 tsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt.

this year just a little water.... Agree with Laurence Additives go in later if at all

Reactions: oldfisherman#1

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
28' Farallon Walkaround "Paragon"
So here's a question which actually could be a cheaper route than buying a vacuum sealer to can in retort bags.
Has anyone gone to the tin can route? It looks like you can buy a manual sealer for tin cans for under $300. They sell the tops of the cans either in a standard or the easy opening version.

Or am I missing something in my reading like not being able to can in your standard home pressure cooker?

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Last year we used 1 tsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt.

this year just a little water.... Agree with Laurence Additives go in later if at all
Well I did a teaspoon of olive oil and filled with some distilled for the last round. I was thinking a dash of salt as well until I read the early replies. Tuna steaks marinated in soy/brown sugar for dinner! 6 fish is plenty to deal with :food-smil Thanks goat for giving the opportunity to have the problem of too much fish

Reactions: MrsGrady226

longknife

Salmon....The other pink meat
Apr 30, 2011
Stanwood, wa
Name
Wade
Boat
23' wellcraft "HELL YA"
I smoked my bellies, and some loins i sliced 1 1/2" thick, brined 3 (brn sugar) to 1 (salt) for 3hrs in the fridge, placed them on a rack in the fridge for a couple hours to get a tacky outer layer, smoked it for 3 hours @ 225. The key is to put it on a rack in the fridge overnight, after its cooled down from the smoker. The sugar really gets drawn out after it sits in the fridge!

Nineball

Let’s goooo!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
I smoked my bellies, and some loins i sliced 1 1/2" thick, brined 3 (brn sugar) to 1 (salt) for 3hrs in the fridge, placed them on a rack in the fridge for a couple hours to get a tacky outer layer, smoked it for 3 hours @ 225. The key is to put it on a rack in the fridge overnight, after its cooled down from the smoker. The sugar really gets drawn out after it sits in the fridge!
Mine sat covered in the fridge overnite due to kids' soccer and such. Some things just work themselves out. Buddy gave me a handful of habaneros too so i was able to put fresh slices into some of the jars. I used the big bro smoke brine found quickly via Internet search and it is a good one. Dessert for kids = choc chip cookies and for me = tuna belly

Last edited:

Deviant

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 8, 2010
WA
Name
Tim
Boat
Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
Only thing that goes in my jars is fresh basil or fresh tarragon with a pinch of canning salt.
The tuna and pressure cooker do the rest.

NOR'WESTER

Skipper, since the captain goes down with the ship
Aug 2, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NOR'WESTER
Just tuna in pint wide mouth jars then 100 min at 15psi in the pressure cooker. The crab cooker outside saves a lot of bitching...

osprey24

Mar 25, 2012
North ID
Name
Zack Schaumburg
Boat
24' Osprey
It's all personal preference when it comes to what you want to put in. Good rule of them is a little bit goes a long ways! Garlic Tuna, Habanero and Jalapeño! All great!

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
I am a retort pouch filling maniac. Did 73 retort pouches in one cook. Non busted open, and it was quick with my new miniPak from Tom. I haven't tried the favors yet, but I did a 63 salt, and some salt free for my little boy, and ten pouches with five flavors, so two of each. Jalapeño, Thai chili, tiger sauce, and garlic. Canned some also just for fun

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

MarkFromSea

Piscatologist
Jun 10, 2012
Name
Mark
Boat
"Solo"
So here's a question which actually could be a cheaper route than buying a vacuum sealer to can in retort bags.
Has anyone gone to the tin can route? It looks like you can buy a manual sealer for tin cans for under $300. They sell the tops of the cans either in a standard or the easy opening version.

Or am I missing something in my reading like not being able to can in your standard home pressure cooker?
The family that lives on the "IMPALA" uses those tin cans. If ya run into Wes, his opinion is worth gold.

blackelk

Wishing I was Tuna fishing
Sep 11, 2010
Montesano, Wa
Name
Mike
Boat
22' Osprey and 16' hewscraft jet sled
Just tuna in pint wide mouth jars then 100 min at 15psi in the pressure cooker. The crab cooker outside saves a lot of bitching...
I have 3 canning books and all say 10 psi, they do range from 90 minutes to 100 minutes on the time.
personally I cut the lions into the biggest chunk that will fit in the pint jar raw and I only add salt as there is enough natural oil in the fish. 1/4 cup of lemon juice added to the water inside the canner really helps on the smell.

Reactions: Nineball

WEDOCQ

Feb 22, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Name
Shawn
Boat
21' Arima Sea Ranger HT "Nauti Tauni"
Last year I experimented with a few cases by throwing in a small handful of dried red hot chili peppers. Within a few weeks the flavor was barely noticeable, but after one year, oh yea, that's some tasty spicy tuna! Everyone that has tried it absolutely loves it. Now who has canner envy? :rofl:
-Shawn

cabo jon

Carey-On
Jun 22, 2012
Cameron Park/Moss Landing, Ca
Name
jon
Boat
Carey-On
Never done the dry pack recipe. I put a little distilled water with fresh lemon squeezed in the jar (1/2") pinch of canning or pickling salt and 1/4 tsp olive oil, pack with raw fish 1" down from top of wide mouth pint, top with lemon water to cover fish. And yes Jalapeno is awesome too. Been using this method for 15 years. Eaten jars 5 years later. Typically eaten within 2 years, but 5 bdidn't kill anyone.

Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
Last year I experimented with a few cases by throwing in a small handful of dried red hot chili peppers. Within a few weeks the flavor was barely noticeable, but after one year, oh yea, that's some tasty spicy tuna! Everyone that has tried it absolutely loves it. Now who has canner envy? :rofl:
-Shawn

Huge canner envy!!

capnfshtrp

O'LE SALTLESS
Oct 21, 2005
San Diego
Name
ITFLOATS
Nice canner, is that home made?Also I too add one whole jalepeno in a pint jar, no water added and a pinch of salt,the tuna juices come out and fill the jar,
and it is a lot more spicy flavorable at least one year later up to 5 years no problem.

WEDOCQ

Feb 22, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Name
Shawn
Boat
It was built by my wife's Grandfather while he was with Alaskan Copper. It's over 40 years old. 3/8" stainless!
-Shawn

Reactions: Rotten Lobster

haggardscove

Mar 20, 2008
Eastern WA
Name
Ernie
Boat
26' Sea Sport
2nd Lawrence's suggestion. Add anything you want after opening the jar. We just use straight tuna, the pressue cook for 100 minutes @ 11# psi. It is hard to screw up canning tuna no matter what you do (expect under cooking it).

Fish Slapper

I would love to be your Captain for a day!
Jul 30, 2008
Tacoma,Wa
www.markyoungbloodsportfishing.com
Name
Mark
Boat
30 Ft "Pacific Addiction". 26.5 ft Alumaweld Columbia "Turbos Palace"
what affect does it have it you cook it at a higher pressure than 10 psi for 110 minutes? just curious....

Larson Painting

Fish Killer
Apr 19, 2011
Allyn Washington
Name
Duan
Boat
Sold Boat
I like to smoke mine for about 30 minutes with no brine, just wood chips, then add a drop of olive oil, and jalapeno slices. no complaints ever.

The Piper Lee

Skipper In Training
Jan 4, 2008
Lemon Grove
Name
Duplex Dave
Boat
21' Wahoo
Only thing that goes in my jars is fresh basil or fresh tarragon with a pinch of canning salt.
The tuna and pressure cooker do the rest.
Hmm, definately going to try that.

what affect does it have it you cook it at a higher pressure than 10 psi for 110 minutes? just curious....
Your jars can crack, especially if they are on their 3rd or 4th go around. (guess how I figured that out, not paying attention to the temp.....duh)

Pinch of Sea Salt, fresh (not canned) Jalapeno with stem cut off, teaspoon of crushed garlic from the jar. Been doing it for years, I've tried onions and all kinds of stuff but the Jalapeno is the best. Habenero is good to, as is canned Chipotle.
Excited to try the tarragon and basil though thanks Deviant!

WEDOCQ

Feb 22, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Name
Shawn
Boat
10 lbs of pressure is equal to 240 degrees in the canner(at sea level). Each pound of pressure above 10 lbs is equal to about 10 degrees. Jars generally don't start cracking until you get to 15 lbs.
Technically, if at any time your canner pressure drops below 10 pounds, you have to start your canning time over (for the safety of the food). Because of this, I usually run mine at 11 or 12 lbs for the 100 mins. It gives me a little fudge factor in case the temps fluctuate a little.
-Shawn

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
10 lbs of pressure is equal to 240 degrees in the canner(at sea level). Each pound of pressure above 10 lbs is equal to about 10 degrees. Jars generally don't start cracking until you get to 15 lbs.
Technically, if at any time your canner pressure drops below 10 pounds, you have to start your canning time over (for the safety of the food). Because of this, I usually run mine at 11 or 12 lbs for the 100 mins. It gives me a little fudge factor in case the temps fluctuate a little.
-Shawn
I'm pretty new to pressure canning and knew about the restart of time if it goes below 10 pounds. My question is if I have a weighted Pressure cooker and I use the 10 pound weight as long as steam is moving the weight it is at least at ten pounds? I only have to restart time if the weight stops or the steam stops, correct?