I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Anyone dabble in this market?

Seems like this is the next big thing. Was toying with the idea of taking a chance on some of the lower stocks to see what happens.

Yes I already know that these are not US based companies, and there is a risk.
Just figure maybe one would hit, never know look what facebook started at $8 or so and now it's $160 today.

Reactions: Grandpa

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Its volatile, but many of the major ones are up 100-200%/year. If (most would argue when) it goes Federally Legal it would likely spike even more although some of that is priced in. Financially most are overvalued at their current business levels and most of it is built on speculation.

FWIW, most of the large beverage and tobacco companies are heavily invested in them, which is a good thing from an investor perspective.

Reactions: Papa "J"

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Its volatile, but many of the major ones are up 100-200%/year. If (most would argue when) it goes Federally Legal it would likely spike even more although some of that is priced in. Financially most are overvalued at their current business levels and most of it is built on speculation.

FWIW, most of the large beverage and tobacco companies are heavily invested in them, which is a good thing from an investor perspective.
Is there a way to see who they chose?.....most of the large beverage and tobacco companies are heavily invested in them,

strackle99

Mar 20, 2008
Villa Lepro, Baja
Name
Todd
Boat
The one on the fish
I have been considering Medmen stock

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Keep tabs on the pharma space - the play is not going to be about growing/farming/cultivating it - rather manipulating the actives in a laboratory setting so the government can control it like all the overpriced medication/pills.

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
If (most would argue when) it goes Federally Legal it would likely spike even more although
Maybe not. If/when federally legal, big ag will come in and turn it into a commodity. Competition will squeeze every ounce of inefficiency out of the cultivation and distribution. Great for the consumer. Not so great for producers, especially those who cannot compete with the efficiencies of large, well-run conglomerates.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Maybe not. If/when federally legal, big ag will come in and turn it into a commodity. Competition will squeeze every ounce of inefficiency out of the cultivation and distribution. Great for the consumer. Not so great for producers, especially those who cannot compete with the efficiencies of large, well-run conglomerates.
I somewhat agree with everything you said there, although its far from certain how it will all play out.

Leading up to potential US Federal Legalization will spike the price of all the major MJ stocks along with the MJ ETF. If Trump tweeted about it once, it would spike stock prices majorly. See what happened when Canada legalized it (it was peaking majorly (so much so that when the actual day came the spike was baked in. Most see that as the main driver in the 40-200+% growth of most the major listed grower stocks (Tilray, CGC, Cron, ACB, etc.) saw in the past 6-10 months. Whether they maintain that value over the long term goes back to what you said.

Then you have a whole different classes of related companies like the pharmaceuticals (hundreds of companies and takeovers here - CARA is one I follow), CDB beverages (NBEV, why the Alcohol companies are investing), E-cigs and similar products (not sure who is this is or will be, but the reason Big Tobaco is investing) and umpteen untold number of other angles coming.

Follow the major MJ stocks (MJ is the ticker for the ETF), the rise and fall on sentiment and potential currently, not real financials yet (although that is coming).

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
aurora cannabis.....

tilray ipo was fun......

FB ipo was appraised @ 19. opened mid-20's went to mid-30s then back down a day or so later and all the millennial day traders wanted to sue FB for their immediate losses.

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
At around $5.50/share HEXO has some good potential.

Last edited:

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Fine if you want to speculate on stuff like this with money you can afford to lose, but do so only after you’ve fully funded your goals with a sound financial plan and a disciplined investment strategy. Doing it backwards is just that!

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
Fine if you want to speculate on stuff like this with money you can afford to lose, but do so only after you’ve fully funded your goals with a sound financial plan and a disciplined investment strategy. Doing it backwards is just that!
Would never do it with money I can't lose. My retirement accounts are all on track and doing well. I'm just looking to have fun with some of this stuff.

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Would never do it with money I can't lose. My retirement accounts are all on track and doing well. I'm just looking to have fun with some of this stuff.
That's my attitude also!

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
I have been considering Medmen stock
Medmen is scary...be sure to check out how the business is run. I've tracked them for 8 months and decided against investing with them.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Lets just put it this way, I showed my tax guy the annual forms from my dick around weed stock account and he chuckled when I asked if he needed it.

Reactions: Bottom Line

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
I somewhat agree with everything you said there, although its far from certain how it will all play out.

Leading up . . .
That is the cool thing about our capitalistic, free enterprise system. We are each financially motivated to invest (or sell short) opportunities that may (or may not) enhance the consumer experience. If we are right, the consumer is better off. And face it, the only reason to make money is to be a consumer (or give your kids / grandkids, etc., the chance to be a consumer with your money), so of course we like the system that is as efficient in allocating goods and resources as possible. Way better than the planned economy approach where an idiot like AOC gets elected, helps torpedo Amazon's NY HQ, and claims, "we can spend the $3B in tax rebates in better ways", without even stopping to realize that without Amazon creating $30B+ in tax revenue in the first place, the $3B discount is absolutely FREE. As it is $27B, not to mention a ton of really good jobs, down the drain. She Cant Understand Normal Thinking (there should be an acronym for women who Can't Understand Normal Thinking).
This is in no way intended to be political.

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
That is the cool thing about our capitalistic, free enterprise system. We are each financially motivated to invest (or sell short) opportunities that may (or may not) enhance the consumer experience. If we are right, the consumer is better off. And face it, the only reason to make money is to be a consumer (or give your kids / grandkids, etc., the chance to be a consumer with your money), so of course we like the system that is as efficient in allocating goods and resources as possible. Way better than the planned economy approach where an idiot like AOC gets elected, helps torpedo Amazon's NY HQ, and claims, "we can spend the $3B in tax rebates in better ways", without even stopping to realize that without Amazon creating $30B+ in tax revenue in the first place, the $3B discount is absolutely FREE. As it is $27B, not to mention a ton of really good jobs, down the drain. She Cant Understand Normal Thinking (there should be an acronym for women who Can't Understand Normal Thinking).
This is in no way intended to be political.
Central Planning and Command Economics killed over 100 million people in the 20th Century, and yet we have 30 year olds here drinking that Kool-Aid.

I love it when she gets press, let everyone hear the madness.

alexalex

Dec 13, 2017
Uk
Name
Alex
Boat
Boyar
What is cannabis oil?
Cannabis oil is a substance extracted from the cannabis plant by steam distillation. Some of cannabis oils here contain less than 0.05% THC making it legal for purchase worldwide. THC Oil (or Tetrahydrocannabinol) is the psychoactive component in cannabis that makes users feel “high”. Cannabis oil is usually consumed orally, and has a very distinct taste